Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2021, 09:51 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Harbor Freight Generator?

Anyone have experience with harbor freight generators? I'm thinking of one for coffee and charging batteries.
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2021, 06:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1956 View Post
Anyone have experience with harbor freight generators? I'm thinking of one for coffee and charging batteries.
Lots of posts and YouTube videos on them.
You could do worst, and better.
I'm sure this bump will get you lots more opinions...
I run a champion fwiw, didnt want to support China freight on that purchase.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:42 AM   #3

Honda is the Gold Standard

The gold standard for many years has been the quit, light weight, and reliable Honda inverter generators. 2000 watts would be enough for coffee and battery charging. The 2200i is the latest version.

There are now many other brands that are quit or almost as quiet. Many are new enough to the market the long term reliability is not known, but you can often buy two cheap ones for the price of one Honda.
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:04 AM   #4

I have run many different gene's for work, and camped with people using most styles and brands including generators and inverters in Honda's, Yamaha's, Hyundai's, Firman, Champion, King, you name it...

Do yourself and everyone you camp with a favour and just buy a Honda right off the bat. It's where most people wind up anyways....just takes some awhile to get there. They seem expensive right up until you hear your buddy's off brand unit hammering away for a couple hours on end when you're all trying to chill out. Then you'll be ready to buy 2 and give him one. EU2200 if you don't need to run the AC. EU3000 if you want to run AC and/or like to run bigger power tools off it.
Jaynelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:10 PM   #5

Many generators now within a cat’s hair of EU2200 decibel level. If you have an off-brand that’s 10 years old, maybe not. But with a 2db difference at half the price, you’ll probably quit RVing before your generator gives up. No doubt Honda the Rolls Royce, but most people can live comfortably with a Hyundai. And if you want propane out of the box, there’s only really one choice.
Old 10-29-2021, 07:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynelson View Post
I have run many different gene's for work, and camped with people using most styles and brands including generators and inverters in Honda's, Yamaha's, Hyundai's, Firman, Champion, King, you name it...

Do yourself and everyone you camp with a favour and just buy a Honda right off the bat. It's where most people wind up anyways....just takes some awhile to get there. They seem expensive right up until you hear your buddy's off brand unit hammering away for a couple hours on end when you're all trying to chill out. Then you'll be ready to buy 2 and give him one. EU2200 if you don't need to run the AC. EU3000 if you want to run AC and/or like to run bigger power tools off it.
They are expensive!
Easy to say about someone else's money.
Eu3000 is stupid expensive for what you get.

Really dont care, what brand it is. I sure dont want to hear any engines running out in nature.
It all wears you down unless you're deaf.
Old 10-29-2021, 07:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepines View Post
They are expensive!
Easy to say about someone else's money.
Eu3000 is stupid expensive for what you get.
I went through the ringer…off brand, EU2000, and now EU3000. Wish I would have just went for the Eu3 right off the hop and had a better unit the whole way through. If you camp off-grid, and plan to for many years…I would just skip to the top-end units if it’s somewhat affordable.
Jaynelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 09:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynelson View Post
I went through the ringer…off brand, EU2000, and now EU3000. Wish I would have just went for the Eu3 right off the hop and had a better unit the whole way through. If you camp off-grid, and plan to for many years…I would just skip to the top-end units if it’s somewhat affordable.
Ditto; getting the best the first time can be cost effective and there is no doubt that they are the best. Noise and reliability......maybe some other generators come close on one of those things.... sometimes you DO get what you pay for.

I abused my EU1000i for 15 years and it still runs like a top and starts on the first or second pull.

....and remember when you are looking at sound ratings that db's are NOT LINEAR;

We must be clear in terms. Sound has intensity, volume, pressure, loudness, level etc? Sound volume tries to put a quantity to the subjectively percieved sound - while the term is often used for the space that some material takes up. An increase in intensity of x10 will double the 'volume' - this equals an addition of 10dB - and vice versa for halving. The doubling of intensity requires adding (only) 3dB - which will only cause a just noticeable increase in (percieved) volume. The thing with dB is (simply put) that multiplication is replaced by addition: +10dB equals x10. +20dB equals x100 etc. 120dB equals 1,000,000,000,000 x the intensity of the faintest audible sound. Could also be called 12Bell.

2 cents,
Dave
Old 10-29-2021, 09:35 AM   #9

How about sticking to what the gentleman asked about instead of going off on a tangent about Hondas?
Never seen a forum that has a thousand opinions on nothing about the topic.
My 2 cents
Old 10-29-2021, 09:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepines View Post
How about sticking to what the gentleman asked about instead of going off on a tangent about Hondas?
Never seen a forum that has a thousand opinions on nothing about the topic.
My 2 cents
....you obviously haven't been on too many forums!

....and if it wasn't for YOUR comment that the "EU3000 is stupid expensive for what you get", I wouldn't have responded.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 10-29-2021, 10:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
....you obviously haven't been on too many forums!

....and if it wasn't for YOUR comment that the "EU3000 is stupid expensive for what you get", I wouldn't have responded.

Cheers,
Dave
they are stupid expensive for what you get. there are plenty of generators for less than half the price and no they aren't that much louder. besides i prefer my remote start Champion.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
they are stupid expensive for what you get. there are plenty of generators for less than half the price and no they aren't that much louder. besides i prefer my remote start Champion.
Jay D.
Champion remote start is stupid heavy.
Old 10-29-2021, 10:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
Jay D.
That's YOUR opinion......I'm assuming mine is clear.

....hey wait a minute; I think you post is off topic.

Dave
Old 10-29-2021, 04:36 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks everyone for the insight. One feature i see Honda offers is a remote start and winterizing fuel cut off. Both sound like good features to have.
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator