Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2020, 10:51 PM   #1

Generator baffle box.

Finally got a video of my baffle box. The back was originally a double wall for exhaust air flow and has cutouts on the bottoms of the side panels. Has some cheap o carpet on the side and end panels to help with the noise reduction. Didn’t work as well as hoped for and the ventilation sucked. Put a 6in muffin fan in there and it keeps everything nice and cool even sitting in the sun running all day. All in all @ 25 feet I get 4 1/2 dB noise reduction, that folds down for easy transport. I have yet to not be the quietest one in the park with my predator 3500

Used a dryer vent for my exhaust dump.
Carpet remnants for my sound insulation,
Aluminum angle for my side rails on the ends, and 1/4 pins to hold it together on the ends as well.

The muffin fan is(amazon) rated @211 cfm and is a 120v that runs off the generator. Has the lowest draw vs 12v for amps so more to end to the rig.

https://youtu.be/PYu6eIi79dE
vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2020, 11:00 PM   #2

An inverter generator wouldn't last a day in a box where I live.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:15 AM   #3

Generator baffle box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper25 View Post
An inverter generator wouldn't last a day in a box where I live.

Works just fine in Las Vegas summers.
Box was lacquered prior to painting as well to seal it up from rain.
vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:18 PM   #4

Interesting. I like the idea of reducing the noise.

The implementation could use a much bigger fan and with the fan pointed directly into the air intake for the armature cooling fan. When the generator gets hot, it will still run fine but the power quality degrades.

The noise could be reduced further by using sound deadening material glued on the inside of the wood panels.
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:31 PM   #5

Here's a search hint (not RV related): "Sound Transmission Loss". Lots of physics and research on this because everything from environmental test chambers to recording studios need to prevent sound transmission between adjacent spaces.

The Reader's Digest version - STL is mostly about mass and preventing acoustic leaks, and not so much about "sound absorption" because that requires a whole lot of very specific materials applied in a very specific way (IOW, would likely be unsuitable in this application due to size & weight).

Any enclosure will have a resonant frequency and if the enclosure isn't sufficiently ridged, it will act like a piano soundboard - and be louder at the frequencies of resonance than without the enclosure.

Generally speaking it's not easy to "hush" something not designed for low noise unless you have lots of free time, space, and proper materials to conform physics to your will.

Tags
generator