Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2006, 08:45 AM   #1

What do you guys use to hold your generator on the TT. I was going to put it in the bed of the truck, but I picked up one of those 2 place ATV racks and it is a little short to put the generator under it, unless I pull the wheel kit off the gen.

I was thinking of having the RV dealer install a 2" class III hitch on the rear (frame) of the TT then put a hitch cargo rack back there and make that the home for the generator.

My other thought was to get a flat piece of plate steel and some square ubolts and bolt it to the bumper of the trailer, the attach the generator to the "cargo deck", but since I don't have a welder it would all be a bolt on application and might look and perform kind of ghetto.

What do you think?

superduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2006, 08:45 AM   #2

What do you guys use to hold your generator on the TT. I was going to put it in the bed of the truck, but I picked up one of those 2 place ATV racks and it is a little short to put the generator under it, unless I pull the wheel kit off the gen.

I was thinking of having the RV dealer install a 2" class III hitch on the rear (frame) of the TT then put a hitch cargo rack back there and make that the home for the generator.

My other thought was to get a flat piece of plate steel and some square ubolts and bolt it to the bumper of the trailer, the attach the generator to the "cargo deck", but since I don't have a welder it would all be a bolt on application and might look and perform kind of ghetto.

What do you think?

Old 07-21-2006, 09:43 AM   #3

I did something like you are thinking of on a 5th wheel I had. Had the receiver tube (bought from Agri South) welded to rear frame. Attached the cargo carrier and even had it cut down so it would not interfere with my spare tire.
Mounted a Honda 300i using four motorcycle tie downs and also added a lock and a cover.

This traveled pretty good. Really enjoyed being able to have air when we stopped on the road for lunch. It had a little vibration that I did not like but all in all was OK. My electrial plug was on the rear so this part was great. I think I would have liked it in the bed of the truck in some ways but then you would not be able to ride off in the truck and leave the air running. Lots to think about.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:30 AM   #4

Trailer bumpers are not designed to support weight. Sure a bicycle rack is OK, but you're talking about near 100lbs. Frame mounting is the best option on the rear of trailers, you still need to be concerned about transferring weight away from the tongue and causing poor handling. Pull type trailers require at least 10% tongue weight for proper handling.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 02:08 PM   #5

Ray, IN: Good point. I'm not sure how much of the weight would be transferred(I'm not that good at physics). The trailer brochure advertises 7460# dry, 6530# on the axles and 940# on the tounge. If those numbers are correct, which may or may not be the case, that gives me about 12.5% tounge weight. I know the generator is 200#. What are your thoughts on that type of weight distribution?

Old 07-25-2006, 05:47 PM   #6

Someone that has retained math skills will need to jump in and figure this out exactly. The distance from the front axle to the TT front and rear must be determined first. I think most are 60/40 but yours must be used. Then you use the ratio to calculate how much weight added to the rear bumper will subtract from the hitch weight. You can use your published weights in reverse to find the front to rear ratio too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:23 PM   #7

Weight mounted that far back tends to whipsaw up and down on rough roads. I first lost two bikes off the back, to remedy that I bungeed the bikes to the rack - 120 miles later the entire bumper dropped off. These were just two bicycles - not that heavy, maybe 40 pounds each.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:59 AM   #8

Greenie- I figured that the bumper would't be that good of a spot. I am currently leaning toward a frame mount receiver. Other than the possible loss of tounge weight, which I'm not too worried about I don't see any problems. I could be wrong though.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:21 AM   #9

Hi
I built a rack on the rear of my Fifth to hold a gen. I ran two pieces of steel under the frame for about 2' I had that tack welded to the tubular frame and also built two "U" brackets to catch this right in front of the rear bumper hose tube. This way the weight is carried by the trailer frame. On the front hitch plate I had a reciever hitch welded on. To this I made a plate to hold my toolbox which puts all the extra weight in the truck bed. Works great.

Rick
Rick007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:49 AM   #10

As it turns out I ended up not needing one. The TT I ended up buying has a slide out rear bumper that will hold the genny. However, when I run the genny on the bumper I get a vibration and the heat on the back wall of the trailer makes me nervous, so I will just carry it in the bed of the truck under my ATV rack.

Old 09-15-2006, 04:43 PM   #11
Texas Boomers Wagonmaster

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
This was posted a few months ago in another thread but here is a slide show on how I solved my genset carring problem. I have since replaced the Genereac with a new Kipor 3500 and run a connection to my breacker inside the trailer from the generator.

Homemade genset carrier slide show
Old 09-16-2006, 07:22 AM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to BlauMax
Allen, wonderful solution.

Another good one I've seen is to weld or bolt a carrier to the pin box. There are +/-'s about this.. but, depending on the weight of the genny.. it may be a good idea. It's totally out of the way and really doesn't add much to the pin weight.