RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2020, 07:44 AM   #1

Generator cover

I just purchased a Honda 2200 generator and didnít know that it needed to be covered in the rain. Iím glad Iím of the few who reads owners manuals. I improvised and put it in the bed of my pick up thatís covered and left the tailgate open. What is a good way to protect it while itís running? My pickup option is serving a dual purpose since Iím camping at a farm in the middle of a field and I was concerned about running the generator on the ground and starting the field on fire. The pickup option wonít work everywhere and I want to be prepared. Thanks.
pj48009 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2020, 09:29 AM   #2

Yeah, seems like a lot of people miss that most generators are not supposed to be used in the rain. Can be counterintuitive since generators are often bought to provide power during severe weather.

There are 'generator tents' like the one linked below. I've been thinking about getting one. Having not used one myself I don't have any feedback for you.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08K3...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.gentent.com/ProductDetai...ode=GT10KXKITB
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:39 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have 2 Honda 2000ís that we run. If itís raining I put them under the rear of the truck or under a piece of a sheet of osb that I tuck along the rear bumper of the trailer to provide some protection from the rain. I used to tuck them under the slide and cable them to the rams for security but find the osb more convenient and I can cable them to frame.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:43 AM   #4

What happens if they get rained on?
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:53 AM   #5

I had a Honda eu2000 sitting up on top of my boat cabin for 8 years.

Rain or shine, I would run it to power my AC, if needed.

I had the " Honda " cover for a few years until the sun made it fall apart. After that it was on its own.

Looks a little fadded and rusty now, but the new owner let me know that it still runs.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
Iím assuming potential damage to the unit since it produces electricity up to the potential of getting shocked.
Old 11-30-2020, 11:33 AM   #7

I thought about putting it under the slide but i was concerned about carbon monoxide. I suppose my solution with the truck seems good. Something else to pay attention to as I walk around the campground
Old 11-30-2020, 11:36 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I had a Honda eu2000 sitting up on top of my boat cabin for 8 years.

Rain or shine, I would run it to power my AC, if needed.

I had the " Honda " cover for a few years until the sun made it fall apart. After that it was on its own.

Looks a little fadded and rusty now, but the new owner let me know that it still runs.
I have 2 honda 1000s that have never been covered, used for 10 years 12-16 weekends a year..

My 3000 did die in a monsoon.. NJ event, 9 inches of rain in 2 hours.. water was flowing around it and got in air cleaner.. Cleaned it up still runs and has maybe 800 hrs since then..

I do try to prop something over them if pouring..
sibe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:30 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:

No idea. The owners manual says not to operate them exposed to the rain so I havenít. Iím not sure how they would get damaged as the case looks pretty weather tight. I didnít want to take the chance on causing damage to them so I found a work around.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Getting electrocuted is the big concern. Second is water getting into the electronics causing a short. The tents keep the connections dry.

Open frame generators (aka contractor generators) its not hard for rain to get into the armature shorting out the generator head.
Old 11-30-2020, 02:06 PM   #11

Why would you get electrocuted ?

Once its running, don't touch it. They run warm enough to dry any moisture that gets on it.

Contractors don't take the day off if it rains, they work inside but leave the generator outside.

Millions of people string Christmas lights all over outside trees and houses. It rains and snows on them, nobody gets electrocuted unless they are messing with them, and that's a power source using earth as a ground.

Many Inverter generators don't have a ground, you would have to touch both conductors to get shocked.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Why would you get electrocuted ?

Once its running, don't touch it. They run warm enough to dry any moisture that gets on it.

Contractors don't take the day off if it rains, they work inside but leave the generator outside.

Millions of people string Christmas lights all over outside trees and houses. It rains and snows on them, nobody gets electrocuted unless they are messing with them, and that's a power source using earth as a ground.

Many Inverter generators don't have a ground, you would have to touch both conductors to get shocked.
A wet generator, sitting on wet ground, person standing on same wet ground with wet hands, wet shoes, reaches down and grabs the wet plug... and creates a short circuit through their body.

Is it going to always or even often occur, probably not. But the one time it does, you could be dead.

Add in an old tired generator that may not be in a great state of repair and it gets a bit more risky.

If a contractor is running a generator in the rain on a job site without protection from the rain, it's an OSHA violation. If reported/caught, be ready for some nice fines.

And your Christmas light example, per electrical code they should be plugged into a GFCI outlet that will trip if a short occurs due to rain.
Old 11-30-2020, 04:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollf View Post
A wet generator, sitting on wet ground, person standing on same wet ground with wet hands, wet shoes, reaches down and grabs the wet plug... and creates a short circuit through their body.

And your Christmas light example, per electrical code they should be plugged into a GFCI outlet that will trip if a short occurs due to rain.
A Honda eu series generators are not grounded, so no shock from wet shoes. Its called a floating ground.

GFCIs are a relatively new devices, I was hanging Christmas lights long before they were code.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:12 PM   #14

not trying to get into the middle of anything and I'm sure it's a good idea to cover them. I've had a Honda EU1000 for 15 years or so and I've run it in the rain many, many times without issue. Frankly I figured the case was waterproof.

Dave

Tags
cover, generator