Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2017, 08:20 AM   #29

Buy the gen. Cloudy days (no solar charging), weak aging batteries (drew batteries too low causing permanent damage), hot weather, microwave usage, and extremely cold nights all make the gen greatly appreciated.
Trans. Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2017, 10:06 AM   #30

that is why I want a toy hauler, the ease of the built in gen to cool the unit for my dogs when we stop.
dannko58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:14 AM   #31

There are a lot of Champion Inverter fans. I am one. Half the cost, just as reliable. If you want two smaller ones, check out Westinghouse also, great for the money spent. Honda owners seem to get very defensive, but they are overpriced and have issues like all have. Why Champion, I have the dual fuel, and only run it off propane, yes you lose appx 18% of the power output, but the clean burn is so good, and if you have an aux propane connector you can fuel it off your propane system.
dannko58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 01:22 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannko58 View Post
and have issues like all have.
Just to help out the person who started this thread what would the issues be for each brand?
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:34 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
Are you saying your batteries only last a few hours when running the furnace? and only 15 minutes if running the micro, or making coffee?

IMO, Most don't need solar or a genset for overnight stops unless you require the Air Cond. The batteries should be topped off from the alternator. If the furnace was on half of the time that would be close to 40amp/hrs per 8hrs. A pot of coffee would be 10-20 amp/hrs.
A residential refer changes things but an over night stop is still doable.
I guess I did not make myself clear..

the few hours is for furnace on battery.

I do not run micro-wave or coffee pot off batteries... just generator.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:29 PM   #34

Just skimmed this thread so sorry if I'm making assumptions or have missed something:

You can't run microwave, A/C or any outlets off of your 12V system (meaning, when you aren't plugged in)
Furnace can be run off of 12V but will drain the batteries quickly - maybe overnight, cycling on a few times with healthy batteries. Propane is the fuel but the fan to circulate the heated air is 12V
Solar is not even close to the power of a generator and is, at best, a way to keep the batteries charged for lights. Maybe some furnace use but that is doubtful.

A small generator - 1000W will allow you to charge batteries to run the lights, water pump and furnace. Also, could power a coffee maker OR toaster (not both at the same time).
Med generator - 2000W allows microwave usage along with a toaster or coffee maker (and lights, water pump, etc.).
Large generator - 3000W allows A/C and other things but not everything at once.

For dry camping and keeping batteries charged a 1000W generator is a great purchase. Hooking the trailer up to your vehicle and charging the batteries that way is almost as good - a bit slower and won't allow any outlet usage but is otherwise similar.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:31 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
Just to help out the person who started this thread what would the issues be for each brand?
Speaking from experience working in the equipment industry many of the generators talked about here will serve campers well. Hondas of course are real good quality along with the Yamaha brand. Nowadays the quality of some of the other brands like Champion are nearly, if not as good, as the Hondas.

My experiences tells me that since the quality is so close between so many brands that the differences in "performance and quality" mostly come from the human who owns the generator. Many problems arise when PM service is not performed at proper intervals, bad/stale fuel is used, or otherwise plain ol' neglect. A poor maintenance schedule or using inferior components/fuel can kill the best and most expensive machines.
Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:09 AM   #36

Another vote for the Champion. We have the little 2000 watt square one and it runs our 8000BTU AC and microwave no problem. I paid under $450 for it at Home Depot and have no regrets. It lives in my truck bed and just having the peace of mind knowing that if we need it for anything it's there was worth the price.
Rovito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:22 PM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
more than 12years ago. The first few years it was more as a backup for the sump pump at home than for the trailer, but we used it a few times. Where we camped then (Midwest) pretty much always had electricity so we didn’t need the generator. For the last 8years or so we have used it fairly consistency because we take longer dry camping trips in the West. Our old battery (a single 12v) did fine for a single overnight with the heater but nothing more. We upgraded to two 6v batteries and used the generator to charge them every couple of days. We did buy a second Honda to use for AC on the rare days we are somewhere hot without electricity. We recently added 300 watts of solar, and we now only use the generator to run the expresso machine and my hair dryer in the mornings, maybe 15 minutes.

Do you need a generator? It depends on where you camp and for how long. If you get one though, think of how long that Honda has lasted. They are tough and quiet.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:46 PM   #38

Reading this thread with interest. Do you need a generator?

Sure you can get by without one. But, as pointed out earlier, there's some important reasons why you should have one. Redundancy. Options for power when you need it. Also, if you intend to camp out in the south or south west... You are going to simply die in the heat and/or humidity. You need AC (reliable, continuous, and powerful) to get by and become a heat causality. If you have a pup or cat.... you definitely need a genny to power the AC (a big one). Frankly, a 15K btu unit on a hot Texas day just about doesn't do it in a Class C. You augment with SHADE.... not another battery or solar panel.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:48 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
...Solar is not even close to the power of a generator and is, at best, a way to keep the batteries charged for lights. Maybe some furnace use but that is doubtful......
This is not even close to accurate. I camped every weekend from Dec to February and only had solar/batteries. We ran lights, TV and furnace without conservation. Many, many rv'ers have found that they can run everything in the rv except the A/C on batteries.
I did decide to get a generator but is only needed to run the AC.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:25 PM   #40

I use my Honda gen all the time.
Jnlgaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:35 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnlgaines View Post
I use my Honda gen all the time.
I use my predator inverter generator occasionally. It's much cheaper per hour of non use though. ....lol
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:56 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parks View Post
Speaking from experience working in the equipment industry many of the generators talked about here will serve campers well. Hondas of course are real good quality along with the Yamaha brand. Nowadays the quality of some of the other brands like Champion are nearly, if not as good, as the Hondas.

My experiences tells me that since the quality is so close between so many brands that the differences in "performance and quality" mostly come from the human who owns the generator. Many problems arise when PM service is not performed at proper intervals, bad/stale fuel is used, or otherwise plain ol' neglect. A poor maintenance schedule or using inferior components/fuel can kill the best and most expensive machines.
Thanks for the information. I had seriously considered a Champion when I was looking but where I live they are only available from big box stores and none of them service what they sell. An experience with HD taught me to be more careful when buying large ticket items. On the off chance I should need parts or warranty work done I'd be on my own to sort it out.

I agree though, one has to look after any piece of mechanical equipment to get their best out of them. I have a tiller that still serves me as well as the day I bought it back in '75.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator