Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2021, 04:27 PM   #1

Generator question

Even though we have had travel trailers for more than 7 years, we still consider ourselves pretty much newbies, as we are constantly learning. I have searched and searched and cannot find an answer for my question. We just purchased a 2021 Jay Feather 27bhb. It is a 50 amp trailer. We have a Westinghouse igen 4500 generator which has a 30 amp plug in. We went dry camping last week in 100 degree weather. We used a 50 to 30 amp adapter and for the most part the generator/AC worked well. However at one point it was just too hot for us and we went inside to cool off. Turned on the AC, TV and DVD player and all was well for about 30 minutes then generator shut off, thus turning everything else off. No breakers were thrown, but the generator showed an overload. My question is, and this may sound dumb but is the 50 amp too much for this generator (generator 4500 peak watts, 3700 running watts 120 v, 60hz) which should be enough power. We have one 13500 BTU AC unit which I believe is only 2700 watts startup and 1250 running watts). Any information would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Pammuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2021, 04:33 PM   #2

I would imagine that you have a gas/120 v hot watet heater. If you.had the elec heater on rather than gas, along with other things might have overloaded the generator.

The inverter or converter charges the batteries when needed. Tv, DVD, hot water heater, a/c and charger may have overloaded the generator, especially if the a/c compressor, the elect water heater and the charger powered on at the same time.
Old 08-02-2021, 04:57 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammuela View Post
Even though we have had travel trailers for more than 7 years, we still consider ourselves pretty much newbies, as we are constantly learning. I have searched and searched and cannot find an answer for my question. We just purchased a 2021 Jay Feather 27bhb. It is a 50 amp trailer. We have a Westinghouse igen 4500 generator which has a 30 amp plug in. We went dry camping last week in 100 degree weather. We used a 50 to 30 amp adapter and for the most part the generator/AC worked well. However at one point it was just too hot for us and we went inside to cool off. Turned on the AC, TV and DVD player and all was well for about 30 minutes then generator shut off, thus turning everything else off. No breakers were thrown, but the generator showed an overload. My question is, and this may sound dumb but is the 50 amp too much for this generator (generator 4500 peak watts, 3700 running watts 120 v, 60hz) which should be enough power. We have one 13500 BTU AC unit which I believe is only 2700 watts startup and 1250 running watts). Any information would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Well if the generator showed and overload fault then at some point it did overload.

You are correct that the startup load is much higher than the running load. I think you may be a little low on your 1250 watt running estimate. I have seen charts that show that low, but most are more into the 1900 watt range. I have a basement AC unit with 2 compressors, 15,000 BTU each. When I am on 30 amp I can run one, and it draws 17 amps, which is 2040 watts. In hot weather I have to make sure everything else, including the charger is off as startup is in that 27 amp range.

I would assume that in 100 degree heat your AC was not cycling on and off, so once it started the load should be leveling off. Also if your converter charger was running, or started up to run 12v stuff and charge the batteries. If you have a 45 amp converter/charger it alone can draw 8 amps. That's 960 watts. A TV draws around 120 watts, DVD player about the same.

So yeah, could could be close to the limit, in theory there should be enough, but combine a very hot day, getting close to your 30 amp, which is 3600 watts, maybe the power converter/charger, if you had your refrigerator on auto or 120 they draw 450 watts (assuming a Norcold 2 way or 3 way), somebody flushes the toilet and the pump comes on.

Also your plugged into the generator, plugged into a dog bone to connect to 30 amp. Each one adds just a little resistance. Wires laying in the hot sun. A little more resistance

You probably hit the perfect storm. Where just enough came on long enough with a generator running in 100 degree weather and if it burped it might throw an overload. Also can I assume it is an inverter/generator that produces pure sine wave. They are a little more sensitive to overload.

If you shut it down, let it cool, reset the overload, and are very careful, maybe shut the converter/charger off, make sure the fridge is on propane, no extra fans running you should be fine. But in reality, in a 50 amp camper 3700 watts is going to be the minimum. You probably would have to do the same power management if you are in a campground with a 30 amp service
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammuela View Post
Volts x Amps = watts. And conversely watts/volts = amps.

So 3700/120 only gives you 30.8 amps running and 4500/120 only gives you 37.5 peak amps. That’s also not considering any generator power losses for ambient temperature and/or altitude.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator