Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2021, 07:59 PM   #1

Generator size and reccs?

I have a trail lite, with a Duo-Therm 57915.331 AC unit. I want to work on sourcing a generator that will run AC and lights, and the micro wave etc...

I have read I need at least 5000 watts to run it... their table says Minimum is 3500. But I would want a little buffer!

What are some good ones that arent CRAZY loud that would run it.... I am in Norcal... so it can get HOT.... I dont have a problem turning off AC to run Microwave or whatnot....

Thanks!
Carsonsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2021, 08:44 PM   #2

The quietest generators are Honda and Yamaha. I think if you do some research you can find a 'almost as quiet' generator for about 60% of the cost.

I would highly recommend getting a generator with remote start. I wish I had remote start on my generator. I have an older Yamaha 2400 that is not remote start capable.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:49 PM   #3

A Yamaha 2400 wouldn't run the ac would it?

Why do most trailers not have generators?
Av8Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:58 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8Chuck View Post

Take compartment space that must be sealed.
Need to add a fuel tank unless they use propane.
Propane gens use lots of propane from a limited source.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:02 PM   #5

Quote:

It would probably run the AC alone, but most likely overload and kick off when converter/microwave/electric hot water turn on.

Weight, complexity, and cost are why most trailers don’t. You either have to have it plumbed into your(now larger) propane tanks, or have an onboard fuel tank for it. Propane isn’t as efficient as gas or diesel in an ICE engine, so it chews through your limited fuel supply much faster.
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:07 PM   #6

Generator size and reccs?

Quote:

$$.

But at any rate,

1) budget pick is a Predator unit from Harbor Freight. You won’t find a quiet gen for less money that can run everything on a 30A trailer.

2) Value pick is a Champion with Remote start. Good quality, good features, fair price.

3) luxe pick is a pair of Honda 2000s (or 2200 or whatever they are now) or a 3k Honda unit. Most dollars for a reason.

Yamaha makes a good portable as does Cummins as does Briggs as does 100 other companies. If you have a 30A plug, you don’t need a 5000W generator.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:08 PM   #7

My Yamaha 2400IS did run the 13,500btu A/C in my trailer if I started the fan 1st than A/C low setting.

It was maxxed out and I do not recommend just a little 2400watt to power a trailer. I was in an area where A/C was not needed very much. It ran the coffee maker and microwave and charged to phone easily. But A/C used too much juice.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:29 PM   #8

A Micro Easy Starter will solve the problem.
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy View Post
A Micro Easy Starter will solve the problem.
^^^ this ^^^

Combine an Easy-Start Micro air 364 with a 3400 watt or 3500 watt inverter generator and you should have everything covered. (Except a dead short like an electric fireplace)

As others have said the Champion with remote start is popular, another Chinese import with a budget price point in electric start inverter gens is "WEN" generators.
JMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:56 AM   #10

If you have a 30 amp 120 volt RV system in your TT, 3600 watts continuous duty is all that you will be able to use. Hooking up a 5000 watt gen would not add much.

An A/C probably does not use more than 1800 watts continuous duty, but requires a burst to start up. Many A/C use less. 3600 watts would be more than enough to start an RV A/C.

That said, generators are not rated consistently by different manufactures. Some advertise peak power but cannot sustain that for long. Other advertise the continuous duty power. The best manufacturers publish both values. The peak power is used to start big motors like air conditioner.

A 50 amp 240 volt RV system can use up to either 6000 or 1200 depending on how the generator is rigged.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:10 AM   #11

Thank you guys SO much for the tips.

I had not heard of a "soft start" that is why this community is so invaluable.... This is due to the AC having a huge startup spike in draw that will overload your generator....?

the champion I would need would be THIS ONE?
a little more oomph to start, and then 3500 watts....

for generators... I guess the DB is everything... many, the wen, the champion, firman at costco are 68. is this too loud for a campground? I dont want to be that guy with firetruck running 50' behind his trailer...
Carsonsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsonsig View Post

I had not heard of a "soft start" that is why this community is so invaluable.... This is due to the AC having a huge startup spike in draw that will overload your generator....?

for generators... I guess the DB is everything... many, the wen, the champion, firman at costco are 68. is this too loud for a campground? I dont want to be that guy with firetruck running 50' behind his trailer...
Yep, db literally IS everything....which is why the Honda's cost more. Buy the quietest generator you can afford would be my advice.....keep in mind that db's aren't linear and IIRC 10 db represents a doubling of sound power while 3-4db represents the doubling of the percieved sound.

Dave
Old 01-11-2021, 03:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsonsig View Post

No, that is not the correct generator. You want to look for the phrase "Inverter Generator". Those are the more quiet ones.

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...watt-inverter/

https://www.campingworld.com/cummins...25%20or%20Less
LeisurePursuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 04:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
If you have a 30 amp 120 volt RV system in your TT, 3600 watts continuous duty is all that you will be able to use. Hooking up a 5000 watt gen would not add much.

An A/C probably does not use more than 1800 watts continuous duty, but requires a burst to start up. Many A/C use less. 3600 watts would be more than enough to start an RV A/C.

That said, generators are not rated consistently by different manufactures. Some advertise peak power but cannot sustain that for long. Other advertise the continuous duty power. The best manufacturers publish both values. The peak power is used to start big motors like air conditioner.

A 50 amp 240 volt RV system can use up to either 6000 or 1200 depending on how the generator is rigged.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Paul is being polite, basically the 30 amp system cannot intake more than 3600 watts or the trailers main breaker will trip.

Lots of people run A/C on a 2100 or 2200 Honda or similar, and buying anything larger than a 3400 inverter unit is a waste (unless you have a 50 amp, and you didn't say, but I'm guessing a "trail Lite" is not going to be a 50 amp trailer.

And yes, buy an INVERTER genny, don't buy an open frame construction generator because its cheaper. You need the quiet. National Park campgrounds that allow generators restrict to a max of 60 db at 50 ft. Every manufacturer measures differently.

Yamaha generators are up there in class with the Hondas. The Champions are solid generators that have available parts and service, Many others, even the Onan portables are simply Chinese generators private labeled for Onan, that you will find sold under a dozen different names, don't buy it just because it says Onan if its a portable.

Some trailers do have generators but you are adding weight, and thousands of dollars to the price. Most trailer people would prefer to go out and buy their own. I got lucky, if you could say that, in that the trailer I bought has a 2500LP Onan generator mounted underneath it, factory installation.

Charles

Tags
generator