Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2014, 06:59 AM   #1

Generator Sound Level

I have looked at different db charts, but just looking for some human input. How loud is 70db as far as campgroung use ?

Thanks Jim
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2014, 07:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
I have looked at different db charts, but just looking for some human input. How loud is 70db as far as campgroung use ?

Thanks Jim
LOUD!

Honda Generators - Selecting the right portable generator for you
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:24 AM   #3

Thanks, I know Honda's are the way to go, but unfortunately my pockets arn't that deep.
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:45 AM   #4

If I were you go with Honda or Yamaha. I know your pockets may not be deep but check craigslist or some other type of form.

I got my yamaha 2400 watt inverter generator for $600 with 20hrs on it. Most of the cheap knock off generators are selling for that new. Shop around you will find something.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:48 AM   #5

Quote:

Thanks Jim
Same level as I listen to the TV in my living room.
Same level as I speak to my friends in a normal conversation.
Only Honda owners complain about that much noise.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:51 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Quote:
I have looked at different db charts, but just looking for some human input. How loud is 70db as far as campgroung use ? Thanks Jim
Take a look at this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-476125011.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	395.2 KB
ID:	58142  
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:59 AM   #7

Quote:
I have looked at different db charts, but just looking for some human input. How loud is 70db as far as campgroung use ? Thanks Jim
Generators use is generally not permitted in campgrounds, and I have never heard one running there except one time when the local power was out. The only ones I know that run them are boondockers.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Generators use is generally not permitted in campgrounds, and I have never heard one running there except one time when the local power was out. The only ones I know that run them are boondockers.
Wow where have you been camping? I camp all over Oregon in FS campgrounds and there are gens in everyone. I don't mean all campers have them, it just depends on the time we're there. Only place I can recall not being able to use a gen would be a st campground. Naturally RV parks don't allow them, they have elec anyway. RV parks are not camping anyhow.

To the OP IMO 70db is too loud for continuous running. My Honda 2000w is around 70db at full throttle and 50 at idle. Most of the time it's ideling when charging batteries or running some small items. It will kick up to full throttle for the coffee pot or the wifes hair dryer. I wouldn't like to be around me if my gen was running at 70db's for 2-3 hrs charging batteries. When I'm out camping in a campground with other campers I always try and place the gen as far away as possible and face the exhaust away from other people. I try and stick it behind a tree or a bush to quell some of the noise. Usually when it idling I can barely hear it at 25' when behind a tree. My wife thinks I'm really anal going to the extremes I do. But I feel that not everyone that goes camping wants to hear a gen. I just try and be as polite as possible. Makes me fell better about what I'm doing and I'm sure my neighbors feel the same. I'm not of the mind thought that it's all about me.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:03 PM   #9

Playing with Numbers

Remember ... 70dB is a reference of loudness. The distance this is measured from is key. A lot of manufacturers measure at 21 feet, while others measure at only 7 - 10 feet.

Always check the detailed specifications of any generator you are interested in purchasing to see how the noise rating is measured.
scubastevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:30 PM   #10

Here's a noise test done on the honda generator by some university students. It seems national parks standard are ratings done at 50ft, and need to be less than 60db on the A-weigted rating scale to comply. The A-rating scale makes the decibels seem like less than they really are because it's only for lower frequency noises. The actual db of the generator are much higher as you can see in their graphs. http://www.me.ua.edu/stal/Pages/PDF/HondaNoiseTests.pdf

To give you perspective, for the honda eu2000i you are looking at about 67db on the non-weighted measurement, and 56db on the weighted measurement for 50feet. That's like someone have a full conversation right outside your window while you're trying to sleep. If your neighbors are closer than that, it will be much louder.

Even with a honda eu2000i, which we use at work. They are still really loud up close. I'd probably put one in an enclosure with some dynamat if you want to use it in a park.
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:52 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Wow where have you been camping? I camp all over Oregon in FS campgrounds and there are gens in everyone. I don't mean all campers have them, it just depends on the time we're there. Only place I can recall not being able to use a gen would be a st campground. Naturally RV parks don't allow them, they have elec anyway. RV parks are not camping anyhow. To the OP IMO 70db is too loud for continuous running. My Honda 2000w is around 70db at full throttle and 50 at idle. Most of the time it's ideling when charging batteries or running some small items. It will kick up to full throttle for the coffee pot or the wifes hair dryer. I wouldn't like to be around me if my gen was running at 70db's for 2-3 hrs charging batteries. When I'm out camping in a campground with other campers I always try and place the gen as far away as possible and face the exhaust away from other people. I try and stick it behind a tree or a bush to quell some of the noise. Usually when it idling I can barely hear it at 25' when behind a tree. My wife thinks I'm really anal going to the extremes I do. But I feel that not everyone that goes camping wants to hear a gen. I just try and be as polite as possible. Makes me fell better about what I'm doing and I'm sure my neighbors feel the same. I'm not of the mind thought that it's all about me.
And we appreciate the effort that you do to make it better for others. When in a woodsy campground area, being able to hear the nature rather than technology is a very welcome thing.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:34 AM   #12

Your pockets don't have to be deep to own a quality proven 2000i type inverter generator. Click here. Some of the best customer support out there as well.

You can own a twin stack of these with parallel kit for around the cost of one Honda and there every bit as quiet and fuel efficient.

-Jeff
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:38 AM   #13

I recommend checking out the Boliy invertor genset. It has a continuous output of 3,000W, surge wattage is 3,300. It is rated quieter than a Honda 3000, which is not only heavier, but has less continuous output. For every 3db noise increase the perceived sound is twice as loud.
My 2008 model serves my uses well.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:53 AM   #14

Here's another Boliy source that will out fit the unit with extended run tank.
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator