Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2021, 12:41 PM   #43

Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnythunder View Post
i have been a member for a while but dont own a rv.i'm looking for a travel trailer up to 25 feet but no luck yet.my question is what make and model generator do you have.there is a lot out there.and what do you think of dual fuels.wheels or no wheels.your input is appreciated
Personal OPINIONATED OPINION.

Do not buy a construction generator, sometimes called an "open frame" generator. Way to noisy and not designed for RV use.

Yes they are cheap, but you are gonna make enemies.

RV generators are designed to run continuously. Construction generators are designed to run at already noisy job site for a few hours during work times and scrapped at the end of the season.

It's an opinion and it's mine.
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2021, 12:46 PM   #44

I have a EU3000 Honda. Will run 1 AC, and the other stuff in a small camper. I bought mine used, and sold it for a small profit when I changed my RV. MOMCAT PS.... QUIET is real important.
Old 10-11-2021, 02:26 PM   #45

Size matters...but bigger is not always better. As stated above you must take into account of your travel plans and exactly how much use you are going to generate {See what I did there} All kidding aside alot of us just didn*t jump into DP and hit the road<we owned TT etc. So looking back choose as said by the Pro*s above what will be suited for you.You want it to be a tool of the road not something you need to lug around or move it while it*s in the way.YOU will figure it out..... your choice ! Many good ones out there. Safe Travels
BOSTONBERNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:00 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnythunder View Post
i have been a member for a while but dont own a rv.i'm looking for a travel trailer up to 25 feet but no luck yet.my question is what make and model generator do you have.there is a lot out there.and what do you think of dual fuels.wheels or no wheels.your input is appreciated
The OP responded they made their decision after a few responses. Not sure how since there was no information on how they were going to use their generator and what were they going to hook up to it. For future members who search this topic, that information and much more is critical when picking out a generator. There is no one right answer as you have to have the right tool for the job. So many questions have to asked and I certainly don't have them all but here are a few:
What are you trying to run on your generator?
A/C, one or two?
A/C plus appliances?
Boondocking often or mostly on shore power?
amperage of all the things you want to run.
Fuel source?
Storage for generator(s) and fuel.
There is quite a bit written answering many of these questions and more on the forums and other online sources. But doing your homework might stop you from buying too big or too little.
I would love to have a bigger generator to have the right power for anything and just in case. But it there is no room left at the Inn..my FW and TV. After much research, and for occasional use, I am very happy with my WEN 2350. Super quiet, small and can run my 15K A/C if needed. I would prefer a Honda and think it is probably the best quality out there but I can buy 2.5 of the WENs for the same price as one Honda. So it is cost effective to add one if I need to go parallel or replace it.
BLtravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:18 AM   #47

What was important to us was the ability to change carb jets for use at high altitudes. IC engines equipped to run at sea level bog down(rich mixture) at high altitudes and the rich mixture will result in cylinder wall damage as the fuel washes oil off the cylinder walls. Will also result in SP fouling.
GIjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 04:31 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIjoe View Post
What was important to us was the ability to change carb jets for use at high altitudes. IC engines equipped to run at sea level bog down(rich mixture) at high altitudes and the rich mixture will result in cylinder wall damage as the fuel washes oil off the cylinder walls. Will also result in SP fouling.
Sooooo, what did you buy?
Old 10-13-2021, 05:02 AM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
hot topic on gennys, like tires and oil, what works for one, another one doesnt like..

good points on noise level, weights , storage, use, etc, dual fuel ?? propane is not as efficeint and sometimes costly at RV refills..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:42 AM   #50

Propane is cheaper than gasoline in many places. For example, a tank swap at Walmart is $15.00. That’s $3.20/gal. Fill ups cost even less in many places. However propane delivers only 80% of the btu of gasoline. But for most uses, the lower output on propane doesn’t matter. A matter of personal preference, but some folks, don’t like messin with gasoline.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:37 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Propane is cheaper than gasoline in many places. For example, a tank swap at Walmart is $15.00. That’s $3.20/gal. Fill ups cost even less in many places. However propane delivers only 80% of the btu of gasoline. But for most uses, the lower output on propane doesn’t matter. A matter of personal preference, but some folks, don’t like messin with gasoline.
A minor point and my bad for going off subject but filling your tanks is always a better route to swapping. Most swaps like Walmart only supply 15 pounds of propane in the 20 pound tanks. Therefore costing closer to $4.25 a gallon.

I looked extensively at the dual fuel but analyzing it extensively just found it wasn't going to work for me unless I could hook it up to my existing onboard propane tanks but it just didn't add up with what I had to do and I didn't want to haul a 20 pound tank around.
BLtravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:36 AM   #52

Works for some and not for others. Propane allows me to put the generator and an extra tank in the pass thru, thereby freeing up some truck payload. I rarely swap tanks. Just run one dry, switch it with the one that was in use on the camper, and switch the camper to the other onboard tank. When the second tank runs dry, I fill up the two empties. On another thread, posters reporting prices all over the map from $2.35 to $4.00
Old 10-13-2021, 01:41 PM   #53

I carry a 5gal jug of gasoline with the Genny when I take it...
My truck runs on gas, so I fill up the jug when I fill up the truck...

It's less work than toting around another 20# propane bottle.
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 02:52 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Sooooo, what did you buy?
As stated earlier in this thread, we purchased a Etrailer inverter unit, 2000 surge, 1600 running. Almost three years of use and nary a problem. Mobil 1 syn oil and non-ethanol fuel.
GIjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:59 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtate View Post
I carry a 5gal jug of gasoline with the Genny when I take it...
My truck runs on gas, so I fill up the jug when I fill up the truck...

It's less work than toting around another 20# propane bottle.
A matter of opinion. I don’t carry a 5gal gas can which weighs as much as a 20lb propane bottle. It’s less work, and far less smelly.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:58 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
A matter of opinion. I don’t carry a 5gal gas can which weighs as much as a 20lb propane bottle. It’s less work, and far less smelly.
just a few figures Google says 5 gal. of gas weighs 31 # or maybe 32 with the plastic can. 5 gal. propane with the bottle weighs 37 # i have to disagree with less work for propane first you have to locate a place that has it then get someone to fill it. and the stuff stinks it gets on your tank when they fill it, and smells for days. not to mention the added cost for a duel fuel gen. and the performance of propane is less. and i just checked prices they are skyrocketing posibly more than gas now in my area of the south west. no propane for me NEVER.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, generators