Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2020, 06:43 AM   #1

Getting back in after 10 years - some questions and advice needed

So, after being out of the TT game for almost 10 years, the wife and me and looking to get back in.

History - used to have a rear-bathroom TT, 31 foot, 1 slide. Had a queen bed. Decent setup, but just a little too big for our comfort and close to being on the edge for our tow vehicle.

We have a 2015 Expedition that has done a decent job of towing my 8500 pound boat.

Most of our camping and towing will be in Florida, so no mountains.
Right now we are looking at a few options and wanted some opinions on them, and perhaps some additional suggestions of other makes/models if you think they are better suited for us.

Our budget is around $30,000

First up:
https://www.rvingplanet.com/mfg-crui...ailer/tws-2620

I like the rear bathroom size, kitchen is well-suited for us, and like that the TV is directly opposite the couch. Big bonus is king-sized bed. Wife and me cannot make a queen work.

Second up:

https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...ravel-trailer/

I like the outdoor kitchen, but two things that are a problem on this one is the queen bed (which would mean the wife would sleep on the dinette bed) and it is about $4000-$5000 more than the Twilight, and I can't seem to understand why the huge price difference.

Thoughts and real-world experience on these two brands/manufacturer's would be very helpful. I try hard to maintain my toys, and don't mind fixing things as needed. But I don't want to pay $30k+ for something that is unreliable, poorly-made, etc.

I am also budgeting for a carport to park the trailer under to help with degradation from sun, UV, rain, etc. down here in Florida.

Am also very open to suggestions of other models/manufacturers with similar designs. VALUE is key to me. I don't mind paying more if I am getting more, especially longevity, reliability, and good support.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2020, 07:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
So, after being out of the TT game for almost 10 years, the wife and me and looking to get back in.

History - used to have a rear-bathroom TT, 31 foot, 1 slide. Had a queen bed. Decent setup, but just a little too big for our comfort and close to being on the edge for our tow vehicle.

We have a 2015 Expedition that has done a decent job of towing my 8500 pound boat.

Most of our camping and towing will be in Florida, so no mountains.
Right now we are looking at a few options and wanted some opinions on them, and perhaps some additional suggestions of other makes/models if you think they are better suited for us.

Our budget is around $30,000

First up:
https://www.rvingplanet.com/mfg-crui...ailer/tws-2620

I like the rear bathroom size, kitchen is well-suited for us, and like that the TV is directly opposite the couch. Big bonus is king-sized bed. Wife and me cannot make a queen work.

Second up:

https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...ravel-trailer/

I like the outdoor kitchen, but two things that are a problem on this one is the queen bed (which would mean the wife would sleep on the dinette bed) and it is about $4000-$5000 more than the Twilight, and I can't seem to understand why the huge price difference.

Thoughts and real-world experience on these two brands/manufacturer's would be very helpful. I try hard to maintain my toys, and don't mind fixing things as needed. But I don't want to pay $30k+ for something that is unreliable, poorly-made, etc.

I am also budgeting for a carport to park the trailer under to help with degradation from sun, UV, rain, etc. down here in Florida.

Am also very open to suggestions of other models/manufacturers with similar designs. VALUE is key to me. I don't mind paying more if I am getting more, especially longevity, reliability, and good support.
Check into the Flagstaff/Rockwood family of Forest River brands. We have a new one and after several other brands over the years we are very pleased with the quality of construction and the service from the selling dealer. I am certain you can find a floor plan that will work for you within your budget and TV limits.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:33 PM   #3

Look at a Rockwood 2606WS. Go to YouTube and see if that floorplan would work. I am looking for my 4th RV and Rockwood/Flagstaff trailers are top of my list. They are built much better than average IMHO.

Flagstaff and Rockwood are the same except graphics.

You might find a trailer that you can tow that has a king sized bed but these trailers do not have a king bed.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:47 PM   #4

Mine has a full queen, not a RV short queen.....althou a 5er, make sure of bed length....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:54 AM   #5

I would look at ALL floor plans, and manufacturers that offer a king bed. Having me or my DW sleep on the dinette is unacceptable.
Look into all materials that are used in construction. Aluminum framed, and foam board insulation is better IMO. Price difference is in a lot of the things you can’t see.
Rockwoods do have all 6 sided aluminum frame, with a vacuum bonded foam board roof.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:52 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
We looked at a Forest River Rockwood 2304DS Ultra Lite two years ago. Waited for one to come up used, and when one did we snapped it up. We LOVE it. EXTREMELY roomy for a 23 footer and not too heavy.

As those above have stated, for the price range, the Rockwoods are very well made.

One thing you'll learn and/or remember is this - floor plan is everything.

Our coach has a king, if you are in your RV a lot I will say a king is the way to go. But for just running around, a REAL queen is not bad, our TT has a full queen and it's nice enough. Just don't fall into those FAKE queen beds that are not standard sized queen beds.

I also refuse to have a bed that you have to crawl over your significant other through a little notch to get up during the night. My mother had two of those in a row and I can't stand them.

Oh, and you might think an outdoor kitchen is great, but honestly most people only use them a few times, and they "can" really dig into your interior space depending on floor plan.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:15 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Welcome down to the SUNSHINE State:

Some of the following may be helpful:

My Florida is a Government website:
MyFlorida.com - The Official Portal of the State of Florida

FL 511, is a Florida Roadways, cameras, Construction info, and more. http://fl511.com

Campgrounds in Florida can be found on the TOP MENU in this forum by clicking on CAMPGROUNDS. This may be helpful as well.http://campFlorida.org

You can also search for Maps. Google and use this: "CAMPGROUNDS NEAR City Name"
van-gogh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice