Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2020, 05:40 PM   #1

Getting hitch off ball on a slope

I seem to struggle with getting the trailer hitch off the ball when the campsite is on a slope. What i see is the back of the hitch putting pressure on the back of the ball preventing the hitch from rising off the ball. If i put the truck in neutral it will roll forward and create the same problem on the opposite end. Here’s my procedure- arrive, back into site, chock trailer, place pads under hitch lift, unlock hitch, raise trailer hitch, remove sway bars. In most cases the trailer lift will lift back of truck. Any tricks out there?
Thanks
Bill
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2020, 05:46 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I found greasing the ball helped.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:06 PM   #3

Leave the trailer hitch in up position with truck slightly lifted. Then get in truck and put into reverse or drive and do a quick release of brake at idle and the trailer will decouple from truck. Put it in park and check if hitch is clear of ball.
Old 07-26-2020, 06:11 PM   #4

Once you have the trailer chocked, step on the brake, shift to neutral, then back to park, THEN let off the brake. Usually there is enough slop in the transmission it will only move forward slightly until the next stop is caught in the transmission.
hillbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:22 PM   #5

Sometimes I have to put the truck in neutral and to release and tension on the ball. Sometimes if I am wearing boots I give it a few hard kicks (actually using the bottom of your foot) and it will break lose.

I have been doing this with boats for a longer time but it also works with travel trailers.

My driveways have always been on an angle so usually choke the wheels and put the truck in neutral will work 90% of the time.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:35 AM   #6

Good tips, thanks fellas.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:19 PM   #7

Billinwoodla,
What kind of sway bars do you use?
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Klompus View Post
Billinwoodla,
What kind of sway bars do you use?
I use the Equalizer WD/sway bar.
Old 07-28-2020, 02:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billinwoodla View Post
I use the Equalizer WD/sway bar.
In order to remove the bars, do you ever raise the hitch while coupled to reduce tension?

I have not had decoupling issues, but i always raise the hitch, remove the bars, lower the hitch and de couple.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:38 PM   #10

After raising the truck to remove the weight distribution bars, and on the way back down, slightly lift the lever, and when the weight of the truck starts to level out, the lever will slide up, and the ball drops down.

Had one time where the trailer was on a down hill slant, and had to chock the trucks, and trailers tires to get the coupler off. You want the ball to be up tight against the front of the coupler.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Klompus View Post
In order to remove the bars, do you ever raise the hitch while coupled to reduce tension?

I have not had decoupling issues, but i always raise the hitch, remove the bars, lower the hitch and de couple.
Yes, the tongue jack has to be lifted to release the pressure on the bars. The bars have to be removed first before trying to get the hitch receiver off the ball.
Old 07-28-2020, 10:33 PM   #12

Exactly. You mentioned unlocking hitch before raising bars. I leave everything locked until after vars are removed
Old 08-03-2020, 09:21 AM   #13

Wow. I just had this issue. The entire site was a downward slope. I literally couldn’t get the trailer off of the truck. The truck had air bags but the squat really made it hard to clear the ball. I was so stressed trying to figure out what to do. I still haven’t seen a lot of advice for camping and leveling on a slope like that. The rear bumper said it was 6” Down. I wound up moving the entire trailer to a bit less of a slope. I’d love suggestions for these situations. It feels like the trailer is going to just tip backwards.
ardvark16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:36 AM   #14

The whole trick is to get the horizontal pressure off the front, rear, or side of the hitch, generally by using chocks. One of the main things to remember is to have chocks under the wheels of anything that can roll when the hitch does come off. I have learned about these things. :-))

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch