Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2017, 02:39 PM   #43

Thanks again! I was perusing it for info on CG availability, none found...but still good stuff!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2017, 04:38 PM   #44

Going to Canadian maritimes, any little things/quirks that I may have not thought of?

The Journey is Our Destination, and the best plan is no plan.
But there are times when advance reservations are EVERYTHING!
Peak period in PEI and so on down to New Brunswick, and even into Maine....book early or Wally-Dock!
BTW, wild blueberries are PRIME in mid August. They are available in Baw Hawbaw for about $16/quart. An hour farther "DownEast" they are about 4 bucks/quart.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:25 AM   #45

Going to Canadian maritimes, any little things/quirks that I may have not thought of?

Staying at Hartts Island resort in Fredericton. My kids review is this place is assume. Cannot find anything wrong to say about it.

Washrooms and showers are new a super clean, water park is amazing without lines on the water slides, mini putt and canoe rentals are decent. We have stayed for three nights on our way out east with 4 kids. Woods cheap and site was just over 200 for the three day including water park access for a 50 A pull thru site. There is a lot of kids here, but this place pretty much shuts down at 10 when pool shuts down.

If ur looking for a super kids friendly place to stay, not too noisy, with pull thru and back-in on water sites this is the place. 5/5 stars.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0128.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	483.5 KB
ID:	169260
Double B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:44 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.

Planning to go through the maritmes next year.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:33 AM   #47

At the KOA in cavendish pei, staying at a pull thru 50amp site. Great place to stay, people are very friendly. Beach is very close, but watch out for the jellyfish. Found out they just started on the beaches this past week from locals. We're also told that they run thru to end of august.

Good thing right next door is another water park. A bit more than Hartts, but a lot more slides. Not part of the campground, but walking path connects the two.

Also next door is the Anne of green gables merchandise park, the actual park is a within a mile. Nice but bring your wallet for the merchandise park. Great for a walk thru. Another attraction right next door is a golf course. Can't say much about it, as I gave up my clubs when we started to have kids. But there is members of a DP tour (adventure caravans) taking up 21 sites in the park, they seamed to like the course from what we've heard.

With regards to the island of PEI, we driven to the north west end and toured the deserted beachs, today Wear off to the east end to the Sing Sand beach then thru Charlottetown.

Again would recommend this KOA to all those with kids. So many things for them to do, nobody will be board.

Name:	IMG_0133.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	470.1 KB
ID:	169748
Old 07-24-2017, 01:46 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
We have never made reservations anywhere we go. In three trips to the east coast we never made any except calling the day of before we got there. There is so much to see. You might decide you want to stay an extra day here or there. If you have reservations for the entire trip, you are tied to a schedule.

That's a good point and very true for those who are retired, full-timing it, or have flexible jobs like teachers. For the rest of us poor souls with only 3-4 weeks of vacation a year, we have to plan out our trips like a military operation. There is no room for error.

Alas, one day I will join the club - those in the retirement years ...

MBirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:33 AM   #49

Currently at KOA in North Sydney. It is nicely situated 15 minutes from the start of the Cabot Trail (Cape Breton Highlands Park), and 20 minutes from Sydney. Alexander Grand Bell museum is also 25 minutes away as well. The park is cut into the side of Kelly's mountain, and is multi tiered so every site has a beautiful view of the Bras d'Or inlet and bridge. All I can say about this region is scenic and beautiful .

Name:	IMG_1248.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	170471

The KOA is not a resort or holiday. Meaning no pool or events for kids. Hell the playground equipment probably will no met government safety requirements, you would think that a park that charges $2 per kid per day wound have some decent play ground equipment at least. Something that is newer than 10 years old. But hey the staff is super friendly, the lots/sites are spacious and the view stunning.

A couple hints about local attractions. The Cabot trail. You want to run it counter clockwise so all the stops/ lookouts are on your side of the road. A lot 5-6 hours to go around at very least. We left at 11 am and got back to the site by 10 pm. But we stopped for lunch, dinner, and swimming with the lobsters. Also do not take a trailer up the trail if u like your TV brakes. U can do it, but I say at your own risk. A lot of steep hills and tight turns. Seen on tv and trailer on the side with mechanical problems. Fuel is not a problem on the trail but make sure ur full before u start. 1st station is 50 km up trail.

Alexander graham bell museum is small and should only take 1/2 day with kids, or a stop for adults. No rig parking, as u have to drive thru town and the roads are extremely narrow.

As to route to ferry to Newfoundland, from here it's 1/2 hr away. StrAight and clear drive with lots of fuel stops on way.

Also another item, diesel is cheaper up here for some reason. Like 3-5 cents.

Anyways off to glacé bay today to see another museum and see the sites. Anyone want more info please pm me.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:42 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Where are you going specifically. The Maritimes is a large area. Going to NFLD is like adding another trip on top of a trip. I have been to the east coast three times in the last five years, including going to NFLD for several weeks on top of our regular trip. The Cabot Trail in Cape Breton is one of the top ten drives in the world. Very scenic indeed, but dont recommend taking your rv around it. It can be done in one day, but several is better. I could go on an on as I love the east coast and will return again. The tides in the Bay of Fundy are a marvel to say the least. Let us know where your plans are and we can help out. Canada is just like the States as far as culture and amenities. Other than Quebec which is French, you could hardly tell you crossed a border, except the people on the east coast are just so darn friendly. Cheers.

Just a note, the maritimes so consist of NB, NS and PEI. NFLD Isn't part of the Maritimes but all four together make up the Atlantic provinces.
Timberdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:47 PM   #51

If you need a place to park for free in NB on the way home I have a spot you can use. It has 30 amp but no water or septic. Nearest town is Chipman and it is about 10 minutes away. My email is timber.dog@me.com if your interested. I'm about 1.5 hours from Hartt island.
Timberdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:03 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberdog View Post
If you need a place to park for free in NB on the way home I have a spot you can use. It has 30 amp but no water or septic. Nearest town is Chipman and it is about 10 minutes away. My email is timber.dog@me.com if your interested. I'm about 1.5 hours from Hartt island.

Thank you for the offer, but to maximize the trips locations visited, we are going home thru the states.

Just an update from yesterday activities, drove to Marconi museum in Glacé Bay. To be completely honest, not worth the gas to get there. A small building listing the accomplishments of a brilliant man from the early 1900's.

Also a side note, don't listen to the people at the KOA office here about diving off the big rock on the shore. One of the kids dove a bit too deep and dove into a rock. She's ok and learned a valuable lesson about judging what u should and shouldn't do. She's ok now with a sore neck and bruised head.

Today we move to Louisburg. Probably could have stayed here and drove the truck there, but we're gluttons for punishment. Louisburg is only an hour drive from here.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:42 AM   #53

[QUOTE=Timberdog;3723931a note, the maritimes so consist of NB, NS and PEI. NFLD Isn't part of the Maritimes but all four together make up the Atlantic provinces.[/QUOTE]
You are correct as the term Maritime provinces was coined before NFLD joined confederation. Up here we just say we are going to the east coast. If planning on going to Louisburg, Halifax citidel, Lunenberg, and many other national parks and monuments, you might consider the annual pass. We bought it and it more than covered the cost in savings. It depends where you plan to go. Price out the cost of an annual pass, then add up the admissions to see if it is worth it. The good thing is it is good for a year, and can be used all across Canada to visit any national parks or historic sites.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:59 PM   #54

All I can say is be prepared to be shoehorned in. We're currently staying at Riverdale RV campground in Louisburg Nova Scotia. Never stayed at a campground quite like this one. You can't extend your awning without hitting the next camper's slide outs. You need to back your camper in 3 times while deciding what's more important to utilize, the slide outs, outdoor kitchen or awning. It looks like someone's driveway full of gravel squeezing in as many RV's as he can. But unfortunately, there were no other choices nearby. No campfires are allowed due to town bi-law.

Attachment 170817

As to the Fortress Louisburg, absolutely amazing. A true hidden treasure. A 1750's life in a full town and fortress reenactment. You'll want to plan a full day there. Park is open 8-5 I believe. Also side note, lots of RV parking. Even big rig pull thru's.

The town is small of about 600 people and was fun the first night we were there. The town had the yearly street dance. A local band played live music. Kids had a blast with free face painting, popcorn, and animal balloons. It ran about 3 hrs 8-11. The restaurants ranged from affordable to a little pricey but all in all it was delicious. You can even order take out food off of a bus or the chip wagon.

As to fuel, I would hit a fuel station on the way, haven't seen one in town yet.

Tomorrow off to Halifax west KOA.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:24 PM   #55

Enjoying the play by play Double B.

We start for the Maritimes this weekend. Bay of Fundy National Park by August 10 following at lot of the same stops as you after that.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:59 PM   #56

Stayed at the KOA in Halifax west for the last 4 days. if u like trees and forest in your camp sites, this is the place for you. All the back in sites have plenty of trees. No trees though, on the pull thru sites. which is nice for DP and my 35' TT. Did see a beautiful 40' DP drive thru the other morning, with scratches down the side. The sites are big, the road leading in is narrow. You share it with bikes, pedestrians and lined with trees to the edge of the roadbed.

Name:	IMG_0147.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	465.4 KB
ID:	171677

Overall the park is nice and there is limited activities for the kids. Pool is salt water and on the small side. All the normal rentable toys/bikes are available.

Also it appeared that RV's where rentable at this location. Didn't look into it, so can't comment further. Store had limited selection of wares.

Nice thing this campground location is the proximity of Halifax. 30 minutes.

One day we spent downtown and found a hidden gem. We jumped on the Nova Scotia Choo Choo Train. It's $5-10 donation for a round trip ride of downtown Halifax. The tail ships where in town along the board walk and was also two vintage ships we toured. Then also within town there is the Citadel fortress. Again free due to parks Canada 150. Just parking for 3.50.

Another day and a trip to Peggy's cove. Again only 45 minutes away. Beautiful, scenic, amazing. Also a really cheap lobster business/market on the road in.

Off to Ridge View Campground in Digby today.