Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2021, 07:27 AM   #1

Good time to sell? or buy?

Just an open discussion. I'm not selling, but for the right price who knows? The market is active for sure. What are people looking for? etc.

Thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2021, 07:56 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
After using their Winnebago Minnie Plus travel trailer for 2.5 years our daughter decided it was time to move to a 5th and sold the trailer in a matter of days for $1000 less than they paid for it (and that included about $500 worth of accessories they would not use of the new 5er). The people drove from Missouri to southeast Texas to pick it up. The buyer said they were have a hard time finding a decent used trailer.

It is hard to say what people will do now.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 08:09 AM   #3

Problem is the buy side. If you are only selling, it is a great time. But if you then want to purchase another RV, new or used, look out. Same with houses in much of the country.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 09:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
Problem is the buy side. If you are only selling, it is a great time. But if you then want to purchase another RV, new or used, look out. Same with houses in much of the country.
Yep, sell side is good, buy side can be a struggle.

To me, it would almost be worth finding the replacement RV before selling the current one. May take a bit of advance planning and temporary financing, but if you are comfortable with that, you won't be stranded.

Side note, but related and not intended to sidetrack this thread. The lack of good used supply is all over the vehicle industry, not just rvs. Shortages of computer chips is hampering new car production and the used market is red hot. My neighbor had to replace his work truck due to an accident, and he had to pay nearly $30K for a good, used, late model truck that was selling for about $18K a year ago. Plus, he had to travel over 500 miles to get it.

Sellers market now. If you can wait, buyers market will come.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 10:23 AM   #5

For what it is worth they are bringing a premium from what I can see. When I did some checking it appears I can get more for mine today than what I paid for it a year ago. I am actually considering putting my coach on the market after my last trip. I sold my old coach for a substantial amount more than I had it listed for a year ago. So in my opinion it is a sellers market but not a good time to buy.
Old 06-05-2021, 12:35 PM   #6

We have no intention of selling, but we’re certain we could sell now for more than we paid, plus cost of upgrades. All it takes is look at the current Murphy on new models, than a glance at late year models like your own on RV trader. We bought new for less than I could find a similar 2 year old. That’s over because msrps have gone way up.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:58 AM   #7

Had the dealer that sold me my current unit offer me 8k more than I paid for it. Bad part is, a new one will cost me 11k more than I paid for this one. Now that all the bugs are taken care of there is no good reason to change.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:04 PM   #8

Before COVID in late 2019 my parents bought a brand new Wildwood travel trailer. Same camper at the same dealer is now $9,000 more.

Now I know typically things go up a bit year to year, but I'd say that's a good indication that buying right now isn't the best.

I'm actually looking to buy a new one right now but since I have to factory order a truck for it I'm holding off the trailer purchase in the hopes prices normalize. Of course that could also bite me and they just get worse.
nick112288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:29 PM   #9

I purchased a 2020 Thor Magnitude SV34 back in Setpember 2019. The MSRP for the 2022 version is up $30K and without many upgrades or modifications since I purchased it.

It's a sellers market right now. Most dealers website are listing coaches that are on order because they have next to nothing in stock. I would bet I could sell my coach in the ballpark of what I paid for it.... the problem is finding another Super C to replace it now and paying at the top of the market.

Not much different than the real estate market right now. I purchased my home in Cape Coral, FL in 2010 at the bottom of the housing crisis when people were upside down and there were short sales and foreclosures all over the place. I purchased a foreclosure for about $70K under what it sold for new in 2004.

If I sold my place today, I could sell it for twice what I paid but then I would have to overpay for something else. I have no intention of selling because I knew that I was buying at the bottom of the market and it would be far more affordable than if I waited 10 - 12 years to purchase when I was ready to retire (now).

There are going to be a lot of people upside down in their RV's like people were in the homes back in 2010 after the market cools and a lot of people realize that owning an RV is not for them.... especially as fuel prices continue to climb along with other related expenses. You will be able to find a lot of lightly used RV's in another 12 - 18 months for a lot less than people are paying now.
Judge64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:02 PM   #10

We’re on our last trip for this MH and plan to sell it when we’re back in Denver. It has been great but we want something that is more “four seasons”. We looked at a trade at Le Mesa in San Diego and their offer was fair but we passed. I know we can sell it for more than their offer, even counting the tax credit we’d be giving up. Plus, I didn’t want to take a chance on an unknown RV spoiling our trip.

We won’t be in any hurry to buy, so we’ll put the money away and save it for the right unit. What that is, I’m not sure. This is our third RV (small TT, BIG TT, medium MH) and I finally know what I’m looking for, just not the form factor. It will either be another MH or a 5’er.
Old 06-15-2021, 05:58 PM   #11

The higher the pendulum swings, the faster it comes back down.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavenFla View Post
Just an open discussion. I'm not selling, but for the right price who knows? The market is active for sure. What are people looking for? etc.

Thoughts?
Good time to sell. Save the cash for the inevitable crash, and then buy.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massparanoia View Post
Good time to sell. Save the cash for the inevitable crash, and then buy.
Crashes are atypical. Plateauing or pricing going lower when demand cools off is normal. While I understand the logic, but ... will inflation eat the savings up?

I've got a 2007 TT [27' Northwood Nash] that is without an issue, and is set up exactly like I want it, after all this time. Sure I'll have to replace things as they age or fail, but so far after all this time I can't complain.

New is nice, but is it better? Maybe, maybe not. if the right used TT was to come available ... then yeah, maybe.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:13 AM   #14

A bit of my rv buying and selling history. I bought a 2004 Rvision Trail Cruiser TC25qbs in 2009. It was in mint condition, basically unused. Bought from private party up in Seattle area. Paid ~$9k for it. I got plenty use out of it, towed it ~20k miles. Sold it on craigslist in 2016 for $1k less than I paid in 2009. It sold within 48 hours of my listing it.
Further back in time, I bought a used 1982 Alpenlite 19' 5th wheel in 2002 for ~$3k. It was in rough shape when i bought it and I put a lot of sweat into fixing it up: replaced plumbing, fridge, converter, water pump, repaired water damage and more. I used the heck out of that trailer too. I sold it on craigslist in 2009 for $4k. It sold within 24 hours.
Loads of good memories in those rigs for an astonishing bargain at the end of the day.

Agree with others however about the current supply and demand. I'm gonna hang on to my 2014 Arctic Fox 25r, even though I'm certain I could sell it for more than I paid for it in today's market. Check out the crazy prices that old junkers are fetching these days. Quality control on new units has dipped to new lows, if you can imagine that.
Diamond Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sell