Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2019, 07:49 AM   #15

WOW! Thanks for the input! I have been doing my homework on what you all have posted and I will make a decision in coming weeks. I was impressed with the tow-master specs. but I guess I have to go with experience. Thanks Tom
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2019, 08:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellis1053 View Post
Actually your statement about no one reporting issues is not correct. Just lake week on the GD owners forum someone reported a blow out on one of his new Endurance tires.

Do you have a link for that? I searched the GD Forum and had no luck finding the thread.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:13 AM   #17
PKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellis1053 View Post
Actually your statement about no one reporting issues is not correct. Just lake week on the GD owners forum someone reported a blow out on one of his new Endurance tires.
Just spent some time searching and could not find that post. Please provide some information on what Grand Design owners sub-forum you read the post?

It's not suprising that a failure could occur. One of the complaints the tire folks have is that people complain about poor reliability, but do not report falures.

Appreciate the correction, but would really like to understand the circumstances.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:02 PM   #18
PKI

Damaged Endurance tire - dealer says cause is impact

Goodyear Endurance Quality Issue?? - Forest River Forums

This thread is worth a look. Multiple view points for your consideration.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Just spent some time searching and could not find that post. Please provide some information on what Grand Design owners sub-forum you read the post?

It's not suprising that a failure could occur. One of the complaints the tire folks have is that people complain about poor reliability, but do not report falures.

Appreciate the correction, but would really like to understand the circumstances.
I did a quick search but couldn't find it. I recall the post indicated he was wasn't overweight and that he had checked the tire pressure that morning. I don't recall if he had a TPMS. He did state that there was no indication of damage due to hitting or running over something. He just referred to it as a blowout.
sellis1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:28 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Try the Maxxis brand...On my last RV trailer, for our Alaska trip they rode much better. After 2 years and about 22k miles they still looked brand new. I think the Maxxis model was called the 8008's...

Our new ORV trailer it has the the 16" Goodyear Endurance tires.. We just did a 6 week trip up to New England into New Brunswick Canada this fall and hit some fairly bad construction zones. Two or three I would classify as rougher / hairier than our 2016 Alaska trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1595(1).jpg
Views:	110
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	231690   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1471(4).jpg
Views:	98
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	231691  

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:38 AM   #21

So I am due for new tires and will be getting a set of the Good Year Endurance tires. Size is 205/75-14. Any advantage to going 215/75-14? Rims are 5 1/5" wide Good Years specs say this is the minimum rim width. Also, The Endurance pressure max is 65 psi. I am replacing a set of Maxxis which the max pressure is 50 psi. Rims are cast aluminum and from everything I have read are only limited to the valve stem max pressure. What do the "experts" recommend for cold pressure? Trailer weight is 5350lbs of the 6000lb maximum.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by big schott View Post
I recently purchased a Cougar 29BHS trailer. I have read here and many other places that the tires that the trailers come with are good enough to pull from the sales location to the tire shop. LOL
I have been looking at a couple different tires that get good reviews but want to get info from people that use them on comparable trailers.
The tire size is ST225/75R15. I like the tow master because it has a F rating with 12 Ply. I am concerned with the Goodyear Endurance E rating 8 Ply but I read good things about it. The price is close, so that is not a problem.
So my questions are.... Are these good tires for the trailer I have or is there a better one I should be looking at?

The Greenball TowMaster ST225/75R15 LRF tires are unique. They are steel cased. Greenball Introduced them a little over a year ago. I'm sure other ST tire builders will follow.

That particular LRF provides 3195# of load capacity at 95 PSI. A nice increase over the LRE and still in compliance with the trailer's certification label.

Here is the reference to that and their other steel cased tires.

All Steel Construction ST - Tow-Master, Trailer Tires

Wheels: Ultra 226 Aluminum Trailer Wheels - Greenball, Wheels & Accessories Tires
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:30 PM   #23

Would like to see the inside of a trailer after 4 cross country trips running 95 lb type tires....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:49 PM   #24
PKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
-- snip -- a set of the Good Year Endurance tires. Size is 205/75-14. Any advantage to going 215/75-14? -- snip --
A bigger tire usually has more load capacity. More is not always better, but it is with respect to tires.

Minimum width rim is not so good. That usually means that lower pressure is needed to maintain the contact patch. However, that should not be the case with an ST tire. If Goodyear did their homework, you should be OK.

Running 14" is usually substandard to 15" or 16" but raising the center of gravity has negative consequences. The GYE tires are supposed to be good, but most of the reported experience has been with 15"-16" tires. Folks are buying the 14" size.

My suggestion is to spend some time asking questions with the tire retailer you are using. Also, do your trailer snow chains fit the 215s?
Old 01-30-2019, 05:57 PM   #25

No snow chains here in Florida Thanks for all the input. The Maxxis tires have performed flawlessly but I would rather have a tire built in the USA. I usually replace after 5 years just for piece of mind. I think I will stick with the 205's.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:58 PM   #26

TOWMAster F rated tires in 15” rim

A friend put these 15” tires on his older tri-axel toyhauler last summer. Previous tires scrubbed off the front axle tires on the turns and he had to replace every year. He is convinced there is no wear at all on the Towmasters after 10,000 miles. An added bonus is the 3000# capacity compared to 2600# capacity on 10 ply tires. I just need to know where to by them in the northwest. I have contacted Greenball with 2 emails but so far no reply.
rndlrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:19 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndlrsn View Post
A friend put these 15” tires on his older tri-axel toyhauler last summer. Previous tires scrubbed off the front axle tires on the turns and he had to replace every year. He is convinced there is no wear at all on the Towmasters after 10,000 miles. An added bonus is the 3000# capacity compared to 2600# capacity on 10 ply tires. I just need to know where to by them in the northwest. I have contacted Greenball with 2 emails but so far no reply.
I just googled for Towmaster RV tire dealers....do it..
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:39 PM   #28

Okay, let’s look at a couple of tires with equal size designation. The specs come from Discount Tire.

First is Heartland, ST225/75R15 LRE, rated at 2830# @ 80 PSI.
Second is Endurance, ST225/75R15 LRE, rated at 2830# @ 80 PSI.
Both are of the same physical size and have equal tread depth, 8”.
The Hartland, 31# ---- The Endurance, 34#.

The explanation is; the endurance has built-in sidewall scuff protection. It adds weight. Weight in that form has nothing to do with a tires' ability to carry its maximum load. Scuff guard protection is for durability, nothing more other than some extra weight to haul around.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow