Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2016, 10:09 AM   #15

Spartan Chassis
Scotty,

The Garmin RV 760LMT can search for it's database for Rest Stops and Parking areas.

I downloaded Flying J/Pilot POI's from POI factory for free and can now search for them also via a icon.

Huge upgrade when I went from Garmin 1450 car in the RV to a RV 760LMT. Also the free basic weather and severe weather alerts are a real plus when on the road. For $4.99 you can purchase advanced weather with radar with RV icon shown on weather/radar map. It does cost cell data, but when on unlimited Verizon not a problem.

Will be trying out traffic alerts and re-routing this week as I travel from Cody WY to mid ( a few weeks) and southern CA and then on to Yuma AZ for wintering.

Voice command is a easy feature to use and find places. You can say the street address city and state in one voice command. She then shows what it thinks you said. You then pick the line number for the correct one, or say "back" and try again. High A/C dash fan noise can effect it's ability to unde4rstand. 9/10 times it it understand you correctly. DW and I both like it. Highly recommend it for RVers.

Jack,

I also own a Garmin 3597 LMTD for the toad. The comparison between the 2589 LMT and the 3597 LMTD is here: Garmin nüvi® 2589LMT vs Garmin nüvi® 3597LMTHD It can be purchased here Garmin Nuvi 3597LMTHD Refurbished with Lifetime Maps The GPS Storefor $ 179.95

The 3597 LMTD does have digital traffic updates which is an improvement over the 2589 LMT and the RV 760LMT. HD Digital traffic updates are more frequent and give you a better chance to use the re-routing feature.
Alone this one improvment is worth the extra $$.

Be sure to plus up whatever Garmin or other GPS you choose for your trip with custom POI's. Join the POI factory POI Factory | new & interesting places for your GPS for free and pickup whatever POI's you are interested in. The 21,775 North American campgrounds and 2,753 Rest Areas and parking area would be desirable. POI loader for Garmins is here: Garmin | United States | POI Loader

Good Luck!
shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2016, 10:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I've used GPS systems for locating towers and doing FCC and FAA stuff, but have never used one on the road for navigation. We are considering a Garmin 2589LMT for our upcoming retirement jaunts across America. Does anyone else out there in RV Land use this system... or others? Please give us a good picture of how well you like your unit, regardless of brand. Thanks in advance!
If you have never used a Garmin or similar device, just be forewarned that there can be a learning curve to these. When I got my first GPS years ago, I literally spent hours (not at one time) learning all the ins and outs. I'm pretty proficient these days and find them extremely useful, but back in the day it was a little frustrating, kind of like learning how to use my first computer.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:43 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman52 View Post
Scotty,

The Garmin RV 760LMT can search for it's database for Rest Stops and Parking areas.

I downloaded Flying J/Pilot POI's from POI factory for free and can now search for them also via a icon.

Huge upgrade when I went from Garmin 1450 car in the RV to a RV 760LMT. Also the free basic weather and severe weather alerts are a real plus when on the road. For $4.99 you can purchase advanced weather with radar with RV icon shown on weather/radar map. It does cost cell data, but when on unlimited Verizon not a problem.

Will be trying out traffic alerts and re-routing this week as I travel from Cody WY to mid ( a few weeks) and southern CA and then on to Yuma AZ for wintering.

Voice command is a easy feature to use and find places. You can say the street address city and state in one voice command. She then shows what it thinks you said. You then pick the line number for the correct one, or say "back" and try again. High A/C dash fan noise can effect it's ability to unde4rstand. 9/10 times it it understand you correctly. DW and I both like it. Highly recommend it for RVers.
Thanks Shaman. I was able to look at the POI Factory and how the process works. I'm pretty sure this is the way we are going to go. Even with a iPad, 2 iPhones, and two different service providers, we were without navigation at some critical moments on the last trip.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:55 PM   #18

Jayco Owners Club
We got our 760LMT and I've used it a couple of times... Looks like a good choice. Thanks for all the advise. See you on the road!
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:55 PM   #19

I think being able to use your home PC to build tracks and routes, then transfer to the mobile GPS unit is important. For example, I use Garmin Basecamp to build routes and tracks for my Montana handheld.

I find working on the big screen valuable.
Oregon RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:03 AM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a 2595LMT and it works reasonably well. I find the voice command to be frustrating at times as it interprets what you ask it to find and sometimes you wonder what language it's set on because it can be out to lunch. If you have the time to pre-program or if you have an address to tell it to find it works without a hitch. Most problem is if you ask for a business or campground then it seems to have problems. I will likely upgrade to the RV model like the 760 before any real long adventures.

John & Linda
2015 Timber Ridge 260RLS
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 05:29 PM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm a HVAC service tech and I've used Garmins for about 10 years on a daily basis. One thing people forget is you can preview your route to make sure it makes sense.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:41 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle2 View Post
i'm a hvac service tech and i've used garmins for about 10 years on a daily basis. one thing people forget is you can preview your route to make sure it makes sense.
* A Must *
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:09 AM   #23

Jayco Owners Club
We used our new unit on a 2900 mile trip and I have to say it was worth the purchase price. The voice command feature is a bit frustrating but having some experience with voice/data stuff, I kind of know what the goofy thing needs, so not really a problem. For instance, we had a location on KOA Road. Pronounced as the 3 initials, K - O - A, it could never find it, but pronounced as a word like koa... went right to it.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps