Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2020, 10:33 AM   #1

Grand Design 21BHE

Hello all!

After initially looking at small Class A's, I'm starting to think that a travel trailer will better suit my needs. I've quite fallen in love with the Grand Design 21BHE. And just as luck would have it, there is a 2019 model nearby that is significantly cheaper than the 2020. The only thing I don't like about the floorplan is the privacy curtain separating the main bedroom. I would prefer a solid wall, but good luck finding that in something with a dry weight of 4,500 lbs. I love the modern styling on the inside and out, as well as the larger double bunks. I will be housing a 12 year old girl and a 13 year old boy, so those slimmer bunks won't be comfortable for them. This model also has the outdoor kitchen.

My fiance has a 2007 Chevy with 150,000 miles that can tow 6,000 lbs. I'm a bit concerned about the age, but he wants to get a new transmission and suspension. I've tried to talk him into trading up for a newer truck, but he is adamant that he wants to keep it for sentimental reasons. I recently paid off my Honda Fit and gave it to my nephew who is off to college in a few months. I work from home, so I haven't been in any rush to get a new vehicle. I was going to eventually get a 2 seater Mazda Miata convertible, but now I'm thinking I should get a vehicle capable of towing in the event something happens to my fiance's car. I DO NOT want a truck, and if I'm going to pay upwards of $40,000 for a new car, it better be something that I like. I love the 2020 Subaru Ascent Touring that can tow 5,000 lbs., but that is really pushing the tow limit. We will be staying at campgrounds every night, so I don't need full tanks. With about 10 gallons of water for emergencies, a full tank of propane, and all of my gear, we are at about 4,800-4,900 lbs. in this trailer. I have looked far and wide and can't find another tow vehicle that I like, and I also can't find another trailer that I like.

Questions:

1. Does anyone know of any vast differences between the 2019 and 2020 Grand Design 21BHE that I should be aware of?
2. Is there anything similar to this that I should look at, perhaps something that weighs slightly less but with the same floor plan?
3. Anything I should know about the Grand Design quality?
4. For a price close to $40,000, I would be hard pressed to find an SUV with leather seats, panoramic roof, and a 3rd row seat that tows more than 5,000 lbs. If anyone knows of another tow vehicle option that has all of these features and a better towing capacity, please let me know.
Spacecadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2020, 06:59 AM   #2

Like you and many other new buyers, I decided I could use the dry weight of the TT to determine if my tow vehicle was adequate.
Like many others, I discovered too late the safety and reliability issues involved in making that decision.
I recommend from experience that you do not choose a tow vehicle with less than 6000 pounds max tow capacity for the TT you are interested in. 7000 would be better. Check out the Ford Expedition or similar SUV's.
I tow a Kodiak Cub with a 2015 Nissan Pathfinder. The Cub is rated as 3400# dry and 4500# GVW. The Pathfinder is rated at 6000# max tow capacity. From experience, my rig is fully loaded for travel in the continental US.
The TT had to be modified to reduce tongue weight to stay within hitch and rear axle maximums.
Checkout "Tow Capacity" in the following posting. There are lots of postings on calculating tow capacity and experienced advice.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/which...er-475573.html

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:36 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Get thee to a Nissan dealer. You can get a new 2019 Nissan Armada for under 40k... That’s capable of towing 8300lbs. (And if they mention a Pathfinder leave and go find another dealer).
Old 01-24-2020, 09:13 AM   #4

A fiance' that has sentimental attachment to a 2007 Chevy with 6,000lb towing capacity...yikes, run away run away.

If you do not run away - there are about 20 manufacturers that make a like trailer. Grand Design is one of the 20. I also prefer a trailer with a hard door for the bedroom
If you look at trailers slightly bigger you can get a solid door. Of course it will require that Armada to tow it.

And just so you know, trucks ride like a SUV and can carry 5 people in comfort.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:16 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
I've quite fallen in love with the Grand Design 21BHE... I love the 2020 Subaru Ascent Touring that can tow 5,000 lbs
That's too much trailer for an Ascent. The maximum tongue weight for that Subaru is 500lbs. The dry tongue weight of the 21BHE is 456lbs. But you will need a battery (legally required in almost all states). Which is going to put the tongue weight over the limit on the Ascent. So you're going to have to decide if you want the Subaru or the GD 21BHE. (And if you want the Subaru, you're going to have to be looking at much smaller/lighter trailers.)
If you want to keep the GD 21BHE, you will need something that's advertised to tow at least ~8000lbs*.

Now, I see you had 4 requirements for a tow vehicle: leather, 3 rows of seats, a panoramic sunroof, and can be had for upwards of $40k new. The panoramic sunroof is the hard one, because the only vehicles that meet that criteria are well over $40k new. The only SUVs that will tow that much trailer and have a panoramic sunroof are the Ford Expedition and the Europeans (LR Discovery, MB GLS, BMW X7. All of which are well outside your price range. If you can settle for just a sunroof, the aforementioned Nissan Armada would be perfect. Or you'll have to try and find something used. Or you'll have to increase your TV budget by about 50%. A panoramic sunroof is pretty nice, but I don't know that it's worth $25k... And keep in mind, you can have any upholstery shop add leather aftermarket for just a couple grand. And they'll use far better leather than the factory would.

*Because they advertise the towing capacity with only a driver and no stuff in the SUV. So you can look for something in the 6000lb towing capacity range, but you'll have to make the aforementioned significant other and children to ride in a separate vehicle when you're towing the trailer.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:21 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
A fiance' that has sentimental attachment to a 2007 Chevy with 6,000lb towing capacity...yikes, run away run away.
No! That's a keeper! If they're going to keep that old Chevy around, even though it's old, doesn't look like it used to and is getting a bit soft around the edges, and whose performance is starting to degrade, they'll keep you around too!

Tags
grand design