Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2021, 06:47 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Grand Design 2400BH - Seeking Comments

Hello all--

I recently posted about downsizing.

This GD 2400BH check all the boxes for us....

Full size bunks
U-shaped Dinette
Fixed Full queen bed
Fiberglass sides
Over 50gal freshwater
Large Gray tank

GD appears to be of decent quality.

Questions:

1. The refer is in the slide......is/can this be an issue due to added weight of refer and passengers in dinette (4 at approx. 675#) plus refer with contents?

2. Weight, plumbing, electrical in a slide.....is this a potential problem looking for a solution?

3. Comments on unit form those that own this particular model

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2021, 08:41 PM   #2

Many motor homes have slides that run the entire length of the coach. I don’t think I would worry about it from Grand Design.
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:51 PM   #3

We just ordered our GD 2600RB today!! After touring the facility and researching customer reviews for a year and a half I don't think we have anything to worry about.
Miss Kimbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:01 AM   #4

The only obvious thing that comes to mind is that you might not be able to put a slide topper on the slideout. The reefer vents can be so close to the end that the mounting points don't exist. You might want to inquire about that before making a decision.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:36 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
The only obvious thing that comes to mind is that you might not be able to put a slide topper on the slideout. The reefer vents can be so close to the end that the mounting points don't exist. You might want to inquire about that before making a decision.
I thought the slide toppers were mounted on the RV main sidewall above slide out. The refer vents are on the wall that slides away from the main RV wall. Are you referring to the topper mounts that connect to end of slide that hold awning fabric as slide opens out? If so, where do those mounts typically mount? On slide wall above refer vents near top edge of slide?

Thanks
Old 05-20-2021, 11:37 AM   #6

Slide toppers mount one end to the camper wall and the other end to the outside wall of the slideout. If your reefer vent is in the top corner then there might not be a place to mount the brackets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F32D49A7-3A91-42EC-84F9-8FF1673637B4.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	328890  
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
I have the GD 2500RL which is very similar. Installed a solera slide topper myself. I had similar concerns because our refer is in the slide also. Checked with eTrailer and they gave me the bracket sizes and they fit with no problem. Topper was fairly easy to install with 2 people.
Dnmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 05:37 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks for the input.

We have shifted away from bunkhouses. We believe the space taken away by the bunks is better served by larger living area but with sleep-able U dinette and sofa.

We believe it is worth giving up bunks for larger living space but will have to sacrifice having to deploy and recover sofa/dinette as needed/nightly.

We figure it will primarily be 3 adults (90% of time) and on occasion 4. We can deploy the sofa when 3 (leaving dinette up) and deploy both when going with 4.

That being said, the 2500RL looks like it may fit the bill.
However, I do like the theater seating...but I would have to give up a bed with this

Thoughts on this model and our line of thinking with regard to using dinette and sofa for adult sleeping?

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2021, 12:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngler View Post
Thanks for the input.

We have shifted away from bunkhouses. We believe the space taken away by the bunks is better served by larger living area but with sleep-able U dinette and sofa.

We believe it is worth giving up bunks for larger living space but will have to sacrifice having to deploy and recover sofa/dinette as needed/nightly.

We figure it will primarily be 3 adults (90% of time) and on occasion 4. We can deploy the sofa when 3 (leaving dinette up) and deploy both when going with 4.

That being said, the 2500RL looks like it may fit the bill.
However, I do like the theater seating...but I would have to give up a bed with this

Thoughts on this model and our line of thinking with regard to using dinette and sofa for adult sleeping?

Thanks!
We have the 2500RL and love it. But we do have the theater seating (really one of the reasons we bought this trailer). Most of the time it's just the 2 of us but we have had others with us too. In fact last year our daughter and her family stayed with us, one adult and one kid on the dinette, and 2 on the floor, again one adult and one child. With us in the BR. A little tight but it worked.

We have also had another couple stay with us too. One on the dinette and one on the floor. A full sized inflatable bed fits well on the floor.

Just some thoughts.
Dnmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grand design