Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2022, 03:57 PM   #1

Grand Design Question

Hello, I apologize if this isn't the proper thread for this question, but we are in the market for a TT. We had previously owned a pop-up which we sold years ago. We will both be retiring within two years and are looking to buy a trailer within the next 6 months, so are researching different models, brands, dealers, etc.

We have a newish Ram 1500 with an 8200# towing capacity. We are looking to stay around 27-30 ft and have decided against a bunkhouse model in favor of more living space, but still have a bed or two for guests. We will be traveling with 3 dogs: a lab, a basset, and a little terrier.

We have looked at literally hundreds online and have started visiting dealers to see what some of our favorites look/feel like in person. I have been impressed by the Grand Design Imagine models, and I am wondering if their customer service and quality is as good as I have heard it is?

Any comments/opinions on good options for us would be welcome and very much appreciated!
seckvahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2022, 08:21 PM   #2

For towing a trailer (not flatbed) take that towing capacity down at least 1/4 to give a realistic towing capacity. And at least as important is the cargo capacity of your RAM. The ones I've looked at recently didn't have a lot of spare by the time your take a tongue weight of 12-15% of your loaded trailer weight, full propane tanks, hitch weight, and all the passengers, dogs and stuff in your RAM.

Otherwise, I think Grand Design generally gets fairly good reviews. I don't think there is any manufacturer immune from some complaints due to the nature of the assembly line process.
Old 07-03-2022, 09:00 PM   #3

One more consideration needs to be done and that is the wheelbase of your truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69641FEE-8DAC-4518-BA03-44158827117C.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	370052  
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:48 PM   #4

As mentioned, there is much more to it than your truck's 'tow capacity'.

Your truck's payload - or cargo carrying capacity (CCC) will likely be your limiter. CCC is calculated as the difference between what your truck weighs and it's Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). Your GVWR will not change. However your payload is dynamic - it varies based on what your truck weighs at any given time.

Both the GVWR and cargo carrying capacity are stamped on the two stickers found on the driver's side door pillar. The CCC on the sticker is based on what your truck weighed when it left the factory. Obviously anything added after that (tonneau cover, bed liner, toolbox etc.) will lower the available CCC.

All occupants, trailer tongue weight, other gear in the truck and the hitch count as payload. You should figure about 13% of the GVWR of any trailer you are looking at will be tongue weight. Add these things up and compare them to your truck's CCC on the sticker. Not a perfect method, but will give you a decent starting point.

Example:

Truck's sticker CCC is 1600 lbs.

2 occupants in truck = 400 lbs
Hitch = 100 lbs
Tools = 100 lbs
Misc. Gear = 50 lbs
6500 lb GVWR trailer = 845 lbs tongue weight

Total amount of payload used in this example: 1495 lbs. Leaving you a margin of 105 lbs until overloaded.
Old 07-04-2022, 12:24 AM   #5

Not enough truck for that camper.
CamperLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 05:52 AM   #6

We bought a 2019 Winnebago 26RBSS for use as a Florida home two to three months a year. It’s the twin to the Grand Design made in the same building. Weighs 6300 lbs and we tow from Michigan to Florida and back each year with a 16 Ram 1500 outdoorsman with the 5.7 Hemi and a 10500 tow capacity. The cargo capacity is quickly taken with the tongue weight etc so I’m careful not to put too much in the truck. The truck has more than enough power to handle the trailer through the mountains etc. The adjustments I had to make was after finding a lot of rear sag I installed air bags and that cured the problem. 200 dollars well spent. I took off the cheap Chinese tires after two trips and put on Goodyear endurance and that made a nice difference too. So that being said I have said since the beginning that I wouldn’t tow a heavier trailer than what I have and my truck is a bit more capable than yours. The super slide on mine gives us more than enough room but it adds weight and it’s categorized as a couples camper and we don’t want any company. Hope my input helps.
pj48009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 11:39 AM   #7

Thank you very much. This helps alot. One question, is the weight you mentioned with the trailer loaded, or is that the trailer's dry weight? We were looking at a model that had a 4500# or so dry weight with a max of something like 6300#, though I'm not sure we would add 2000# to the trailer. That said, it's helpful to compare yours to ours since it's the same truck with (what sounds like) maybe the different axle ratio? Ours is 3.21. It's my understanding that the 3.92 has a bit more towing ability.

Anyway, we aren't interested in towing something we can't tow or, more importantly, effectively stop! So thanks again.
Old 07-04-2022, 11:43 AM   #8

Well, since no one else has commented on your actual question about Grand Design, I'll chime in.

We bought a GD Imagine 2970RL a year and a half ago. We're very impressed with the design and initial quality. Just had our dealer address a few minor issues under warranty and they did a great job.

Therefore, I'm giving two thumbs up to GD's quality and customer support.

You'll get much more info, especially about a specific model you may be considering, if you post your question in the Grand Design section of this forum.
Dr. Dolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 11:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dolittle View Post
Well, since no one else has commented on your actual question about Grand Design, I'll chime in.

We bought a GD Imagine 2970RL a year and a half ago. We're very impressed with the design and initial quality. Just had our dealer address a few minor issues under warranty and they did a great job.

Therefore, I'm giving two thumbs up to GD's quality and customer support.

You'll get much more info, especially about a specific model you may be considering, if you post your question in the Grand Design section of this forum.
Thank you! I got so involved in the math I'd almost forgotten my question.

Glad to hear your experience so far has been a good one. The models I have seen I really like. We aren't new to towing or to camping, but we are new to TT. As children, we both had tent trailers and that's what we had when we were raising our kids. Now that we are done with that, we want to get something we can take the grandkids in sometimes, but mostly it's just going to be us. (kids are jealous, btw, that we didn't have one like that when they were kids) :-)
Old 07-04-2022, 01:12 PM   #10

Itís been a couple years since Iíve looked at them, but if youíre planning to be using one of their fold-out sofas as a bed, be sure to open it up and check the length. We looked at one GD model where the hide-a-bed was only suitable for kids.
Old 07-04-2022, 01:17 PM   #11

I've been a member of the Grand Design Owners Forum since 2014. I had recently bought a Northwood 5th wheel but was interested in GD because they were a new company and I like the concept they were promoting. So after 8 years of reading daily over there I've come to the conclusion that they're the same as every other brand as far as build quality goes.
They make mostly good trailers but like every other company they build some bad ones.
What makes them stand apart is the GD owners forum. It has to be the best run RV forum I read.
You will have problems with your GD just like everyone else but there's a plethora of knowledge over there to help out. The biggest issue with problems right now is the supply chain. For instance one owner has a 12V Furrion fridge in his TT. It's barely been used and quit working. There are no fridges for him in stock. So his seasons done unless he can go a different direction with the help of GD.
Sign of the times.

With all that being said if you really like the floor plan, interior design and finish then jump on it.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 01:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I've been a member of the Grand Design Owners Forum since 2014. I had recently bought a Northwood 5th wheel but was interested in GD because they were a new company and I like the concept they were promoting. So after 8 years of reading daily over there I've come to the conclusion that they're the same as every other brand as far as build quality goes.
They make mostly good trailers but like every other company they build some bad ones.
What makes them stand apart is the GD owners forum. It has to be the best run RV forum I read.
You will have problems with your GD just like everyone else but there's a plethora of knowledge over there to help out. The biggest issue with problems right now is the supply chain. For instance one owner has a 12V Furrion fridge in his TT. It's barely been used and quit working. There are no fridges for him in stock. So his seasons done unless he can go a different direction with the help of GD.
Sign of the times.

With all that being said if you really like the floor plan, interior design and finish then jump on it.
Thank you very much. That's very helpful. And I did find the GD forum, I had not realized it was there.

Stay well!
Old 07-04-2022, 08:11 PM   #13

Stick with a trailer that is 6500 lbs gross or less and 24 ft max and you will be OK. Any longer or heavier and you will regret it.

Charles
Old 07-05-2022, 04:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by seckvahl View Post
Thank you very much. This helps alot. One question, is the weight you mentioned with the trailer loaded, or is that the trailer's dry weight? We were looking at a model that had a 4500# or so dry weight with a max of something like 6300#, though I'm not sure we would add 2000# to the trailer. That said, it's helpful to compare yours to ours since it's the same truck with (what sounds like) maybe the different axle ratio? Ours is 3.21. It's my understanding that the 3.92 has a bit more towing ability.

Anyway, we aren't interested in towing something we can't tow or, more importantly, effectively stop! So thanks again.
My truck is 3.92 and the trailer is 6300 dry. I would guess it’s in the low 7000 range loaded. I doubt what I bring weighs that much.
I totally forgot to talk about the quality in my rant. I have had little issues and we’re in it 3 months at a time. The cabinets are well built and we skipped the fireplace and gained a huge cabinet in its place. The furnace gave us trouble right away but that could have happened to any brand. One issue you’ll have depending on the model. GD and Winny like to use the sliding barn doors to save space and they’re a nice idea. The issue is they are hanging from a slider with only 1/4 inch screws going into the wood. Not sure what they were thinking. So after driving a few hundred miles I found one of the doors hanging by the last screw. I went to the hardware and bought bolts nuts and washers and drilled holes all the way through where the screws were and re hung it with the nuts and bolts. By the time I got to Florida the other door joined it’s sister so the same fix applied. They have been solid since. The biggest issue with our trucks is using up the cargo capacity. Airbags were huge for me and there are other fixes. I never drive over 65 and the 5.7 is plenty strong. I have the 8 speed trans which makes a difference too.
pj48009 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grand design