Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2020, 12:25 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Gray & Black Tank Maintenance.....?

When we were out on our last trip had a couple of minor tank draining issues. So the gray tank was almost full and wouldn’t drain when my wife opened the valve. She said it drained normal for a few seconds the went to a trickle. I shot water up the drain pipe to flush it out. Then the day we left the black tank wouldn’t drain past 1/3 tank. After driving home I went to a local trailer dump and the black tank drained with no other issues. Also flushed it out with no other issues.

My question is this..... Other than using product in the black tank during use is there anything you fellow RVers use to keep your tanks clean and flowing problem free?

I do add 5gal of water and product to black before we leave. Giving the chemical a good chance to mix up and just incase anyone needs a quick restroom stop along the way. Is there anything like this I should be doing to the gray tank?
4GsCampinFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2020, 03:03 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
This may help you, please watch the video and start a 1:30-time into video
van-gogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:16 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman635UT View Post
This may help you, please watch the video and start a 1:30-time into video
Thanks Dogman, there's no video posted
4GsCampinFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:23 PM   #4

What RV? Age?
Quite possible debris in the tanks floating around and blocking the dump opening. Several options, inspection camera comes to mind. Its also quite possible the valves if the pull is cable operated that they are slipping and not working. Its also its possible the valves are not working.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:33 PM   #5

I always charge both my gray tank and black tank with a very powerful and dangerous chemical called dihydrogen monoxide. I never use any of the other so-called commercial store bought RV Treatment chemicals and so far after 50 years I've never had a problem with either tank. Just be careful with the dihydrogen monoxide. Thousands are killed by misusing it every year.

Tips. Never put anything like grease in the gray tank. I always drain any grease from cooking into the trash. I keep as much food solids out of the gray tank also. If the gray tank is clogging something you are doing is not right. The black tank problems are usually related to a bad solids/water ratio. The more water the better. I even will use a wash tub in the sink while doing dishes, and take the wash water and pour it down the toilet. That adds a lot of liquid to that tank.

Remember, dihydrogen monoxide is so much better than those silly chemicals you have to buy.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I always charge both my gray tank and black tank with a very powerful and dangerous chemical called dihydrogen monoxide. I never use any of the other so-called commercial store bought RV Treatment chemicals and so far after 50 years I've never had a problem with either tank. Just be careful with the dihydrogen monoxide. Thousands are killed by misusing it every year.

Tips. Never put anything like grease in the gray tank. I always drain any grease from cooking into the trash. I keep as much food solids out of the gray tank also. If the gray tank is clogging something you are doing is not right. The black tank problems are usually related to a bad solids/water ratio. The more water the better. I even will use a wash tub in the sink while doing dishes, and take the wash water and pour it down the toilet. That adds a lot of liquid to that tank.

Remember, dihydrogen monoxide is so much better than those silly chemicals you have to buy.

H2O?
sshephard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:46 PM   #7

wrong post
Old 06-06-2020, 08:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GsCampinFam View Post
When we were out on our last trip had a couple of minor tank draining issues. So the gray tank was almost full and wouldn’t drain when my wife opened the valve. She said it drained normal for a few seconds the went to a trickle. I shot water up the drain pipe to flush it out. Then the day we left the black tank wouldn’t drain past 1/3 tank. After driving home I went to a local trailer dump and the black tank drained with no other issues. Also flushed it out with no other issues.

My question is this..... Other than using product in the black tank during use is there anything you fellow RVers use to keep your tanks clean and flowing problem free?

I do add 5gal of water and product to black before we leave. Giving the chemical a good chance to mix up and just incase anyone needs a quick restroom stop along the way. Is there anything like this I should be doing to the gray tank?
All the other posts should be helpful as well, but I've never had any trouble with either in over 30 years. Always leave both valves closed until they get at least 3/4 full while at the site. Then flush and recharge black tank. Always roll with about 10-15 gallons of water mixture while traveling, mixture of water/camco treatment/Ajax dish soap - about a 5 second squirt. When dumping black tank I always dump and flush until it's completely clear and then fill the tank to 3/4 full on the gauge and dump it and recharge for travel. One of the most important tasks I have on our trips. I have also never had any smell issue. Never put any food scraps or greasy stuff down the gray tank.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:05 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Yep, water and more water. No other chemicals for 18 years in the same rig.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:26 AM   #10

Need more water. you are getting some blockage and the trip home stirs it up.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 01:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Yep, water and more water. No other chemicals for 18 years in the same rig.
Lucky you, ours starts to stink without the blue stuff.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 01:47 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
While full timing, our electric toilet drop chute plug failed.

We lived with a short open tube to the black tank below for a week until the parts arrived for repair.

Amazingly, no odor with an uncovered outhouse inside the rig and no chemicals added.

At first, I thought our xxxx doesn't stink.

But alas, it just must have been covered with adequate water.

If one is not using enough water so the time between black tank dumps is maximized, I guess there would be odor so chemicals would be required.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshephard1 View Post
H2O?

How about oxidane?

It works just as well as boring old H2O

Have you all viewed the U-Tube video showing what a tank of water looks like when going down the road? There isn't much action going on at the bottom of the tank. Some seem to think its like a ocean with waves in there, but it is more like a backyard swimming pool without any swimmers in it.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:25 PM   #14

I was at a campground once that actually had a full holding tank it kind of did the same thing it drain a little bit roll well and then all of a sudden went to a small dribble dribble it wasn't good. I would wonder if that was your problem it is possible you know, Roots like to go anywhere and that includes in the piping to the drain of the campsites. Me and you have no issues now I'm kind of thinking that's what the issue might have been.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, maintenance, tank