Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2020, 03:38 PM   #1

Grey tank sagging?

I did a walk around and I noticed that the grey tank was visible from the outside.

I'm wondering how hard it would be to fix this.

Attachment 295717Click image for larger version

Name:	20200803_152411.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	295718Click image for larger version

Name:	20200803_153013.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	295719Click image for larger version

Name:	20200730_192330.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	295720Click image for larger version

Name:	20200730_192323.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	295722
ethan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2020, 03:55 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan1 View Post
I did a walk around and I noticed that the grey tank was visible from the outside.

I'm wondering how hard it would be to fix this.

Attachment 295717Attachment 295718Attachment 295719Attachment 295720Attachment 295722
My son's reasonably new, but out of warranty, toy box is doing the same thing. (fresh water tank, not grey) We just noticed it last week.

With the tank empty, we will jack up the tank into it's original position, then we're going to fabricate some flat straps (1/4") and slide it under the tank but on top of the I beam frame. Either tack weld it or screw it in place and hoping that will be it.

Probably a good weekend job but we're waiting for the weather to get a little cooler. We don't want to wait too long as cooler weather will probably make the tank more rigid and harder to raise up.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:49 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Hopefully you have access to a welder, or your paying someone else. take coroplast off to expose. Jack up, measure up, weld up. Cut the corners off some angle iron so it sits as tight as possible and the coroplast sits tight when back on and be done.. check other tanks while your in there. As stated above a weekend job..
Old 08-03-2020, 11:33 PM   #4

I wonder if there's a way to temp fix this with self tapping screws & sheets of metal?

Then later hire someone to weld it on.

Kinda tricky dealing with this while being on the road.
ethan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan1 View Post
I wonder if there's a way to temp fix this with self tapping screws & sheets of metal?

Then later hire someone to weld it on.

Kinda tricky dealing with this while being on the road.
Depending on the frame layout you may be able to bolt/screw on some flat bar stock which you can get at Lowes,HD or ACE.

Your going to have empty the tank and lift it up.I would use a floor jack and a piece of plywood.At that point check the original mounts .Maybe you can fix them some how.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:11 AM   #6

What is the root cause? Do you travel with any waste water in the tank? The extra weight might be the issue (just speculating).
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:59 AM   #7

Root cause is a design or build flaw. It should be designed to carry the weight of a full tank in a moving road vehicle.

Sheet metal is not going to do it. Something thicker is needed. Above posts are good.

You could put a support outside the belly cover from left frame to right frame and screw up into frame. Use a "U" channel or angle iron. You could even use a stout length of treated wood. It would not be the best long term solution, but may be easier to do while on the road.

Even easier, make sure the tank is empty while traveling. Tow short distance to dump site at slow speed make sure it is empty before next leg of trip. Fix it correctly when you get home.

If it is so loose it is in danger of falling out while stopped, you can support it from the ground using a jack or other support. Your call if you can tow it short distance to dump.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grey tank, tank