Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2019, 07:32 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Griddle for outside stove ?

Is there a griddle that will fit the outdoor stove on these RV's, they are all about the same little outdoor cooker. The burners are kind of offset to one another on ours and I'm not sure what kind of griddle would fit best over them so I'm looking for suggestions. There are a lot of griddles out there I know , but maybe someone has found one that fits and works really well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	griddel.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	255682  
ScopesNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2019, 11:37 PM   #2

I think any iron griddle will work well because they will spread the heat so you don't have hot spots where the actual burners are. Places like Cabela's have a selection as do some bbq specialty stores. Finding one that is a custom fit for your stove might be tougher though.
Glen 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:01 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Glen 3 thanks.
I have about given up on trying to find one that even comes close to fitting.
Have looked at all the many makers and types out there now.
I found a Camp Chef Professional 16" x 14" Fry Griddle that looks as if it might work well for my needs. https://tinyurl.com/y5wsvwdc

I'm not feeding an army just the wife and I plus 2 little spolied pups.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-04-2019, 10:41 AM   #4

Yes but I bet those pups eat well. [emoji846]
Glen 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:10 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That Camp Chef one noted looks good, but I'd be careful of the stove front and knobs being damaged by heat from under griddle. Of course, only way to know is from actual users and/or purchasing and using!!
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 02:40 PM   #6

for 20-25$ more you clould just get the Blackstone 17" griddle. I have one on my camper and the 22" one at home..you can practically cook anything on there and stow away easily.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	griddle.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	255762  
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 03:09 PM   #7

You’ll want non stick. Search Amazon and find a size appropriate griddle, in a true non stick. Easier cleanup when camping.
BikerMikeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 03:57 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
for 20-25$ more you clould just get the Blackstone 17" griddle. I have one on my camper and the 22" one at home..you can practically cook anything on there and stow away easily.
Yes and I really thought about getting one. Before I buy something like that I'm try to best utilize what the camper came with. The Blackstones are very nice though and for the price are hard to beat.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-04-2019, 04:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerMikeyB View Post
You’ll want non stick. Search Amazon and find a size appropriate griddle, in a true non stick. Easier cleanup when camping.

Properly seasoned and oiled, I've never had issues with the myriad Blackstone/Camp Chef griddles. Cooking on those is the bees knees.
swavescatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:42 PM   #10

Couple things. First I will also agree that you should look at the Blackstone griddles. I have the 36" model for my home and absolutely love it. The 22" model would be awesome for a TT or 5er. I did about 5 rounds of seasoning on my and it is every bit as non stick as the most expensive pot or pans out there and the cleanup is simple.

On your comment about using what the camper came with. I would absolutely not try to find or make a griddle to cover your current outdoor cook top. It is not made to accept a griddle. You run the risk of melting or catching the structure your current cooktop is set into on fire with a griddle that covers your factory cooktop. I'd look at getting the 22" Blackstone and then getting a nice 1/2" piece of plywood and set it on top of the existing cooktop and then the Blackstone sets on top of that.
Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:20 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parks View Post
I would absolutely not try to find or make a griddle to cover your current outdoor cook top. It is not made to accept a griddle. You run the risk of melting or catching the structure your current cooktop is set into on fire with a griddle that covers your factory cooktop.
Thanks Parks.

I have been thinking hard about that same thing after I went out and measured things again late yesterday. I started thinking it just looked like it might not be safe to use a griddle at all. It is too closed in and no room for heat to escape. Now I'm thinking of just getting the 22" Blackstone as ( runamuck ) suggested. I feel a mod coming on. Replace the current small stove with a sheet of thin metal or plywood that fits the entire shelf. Something along those lines. At least I'm getting use of the slide out shelf if not the little cooker. I'm also not doing any mod that can not be undone easily. I guess that is what we have these forums for. To bounce ideas off of one another. Thanks to all for the ideas and suggestions. I'll report back here once I have my small mod of the shelf in place.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-05-2019, 02:02 PM   #12

Okay I have to ask, what's wrong with a cast iron skillet oh, you could easily please a large one on one and a smaller one on the other, personally I like the combo cooker that is made by Lodge. There are other manufacturers though that make them. Sometimes I think we get too caught up. Just saying, think about it. I like to use the keep it simple rule. Cast iron could be used out over a campfire or in your camper much more versatile. Thanks for hearing me didn't mean to butt in, well maybe I did I like cooking
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:54 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyone View Post
Thanks for hearing me didn't mean to butt in, well maybe I did I like cooking
No need to thank anyone. Your opion matters just like everyone else. I thank all who have given me input on this.
I like a good meal myself.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-10-2019, 07:48 AM   #14

I had been using a Lodge griddle over the 2 propane burners on our camper and just picked up a Camp Chef griddle to cook independently. I love the Lodge but it's awkward to cook on with that set up. The thing I liked about the Camp Chef is that I bought a separate grill box that can replace the griddle. They also have a pizza oven attachment, I don't see me getting that.
skiles is offline   Reply With Quote