Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2017, 01:01 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Tracer Executive Series or Air Ultra Light Weight TT

Before upgrading to a 40 foot diesel pusher motorhome I owned a 30 foot Tracer Executive Series ultra light weight travel trailer. It had an empty weight (UVW) of 6,100 lbs. When loaded (clothes, food, full fresh water tank) it weight ~6,600 lbs. and pulled easily behind my 2011 four door Silverado 4x4 which had a towing capacity of 11,000 lbs. especially after I added anti-sway bars.

I never towed at a speed over 65 mph which was the speed rating for the trailer's tires. On steep hills in the Texas Hill Country I would slow down to 55 mph to keep the Silverado from down-shifting too much.

Presuming your F-150 has a similar 11,000 lbs tow rating, I'd think an ultra light weight, 30 foot travel trailer similar to the Tracer Air 305Air model would be good choice (Tracer Air replaced the Tracer Executive Series).

Hope this helps!
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2017, 02:59 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_RV_Guy View Post
Things can go wrong with any RV and TV. Do the math work up and make sure you have plenty of cushion from your limits. Tow what you feel comfortable with, using COMMON SENSE! Watch this video and see what I'm saying:

https://youtu.be/kwOqARlw1EI
Yep being pulled by a one ton dually, that's the problem should've got a half ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh071056 View Post
We have a 2016 Flagstaff Super Lite with great outdoor kitchen and doored bunk room with outside access through bike door. Bought a used 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins diesel before we pulled th camper off the sales lot. Best decision we ever made. Been up and down the Appalachians and Blue Ridge. Headed to Rockies in 2018!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
You need to do some research on the payload of a F150 and the math of it with a travel trailer.

Here's a hint it isn't 2,000 lbs.
cdoorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:35 AM   #45

Got a jayco feather 25 bh that comes in just under 6000lbs and I pull it with a 08 ford f150 just fine
chris174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:50 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matfam1 View Post
I just bought a Cruiser RV SC-280QBS, seems to fit your request. Tows great with my 1500 Dodge.
I just purchased the same model and tow with the same truck and purchased it in march. It's a great trailer, 5600dry about 7200 wet can tow with a half ton no problem.
Yillbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:25 PM   #47

54fun ... 2 cents from someone that actually towed a 31' TT with a ecoboost. Of course our eco is a heaver '13 HD model with Pyld Cap 2172. It was a challenge to pull that TT. TW was 1045 with total weight of 8600 lbs. Pulled it great when there was no wind what so ever or any semis in the neighborhood. Semis would suck us to them when they passed us. Towed it one year then DW decided we should downgrade, so we spent a year looking for the right rig & finally decided to go with a 5er (see sig). Best decision we ever made. Pin weight ready to travel 1340 and total weight of 8300 lbs. So far we have put over 15, 000 miles on the 5er. Wind, either front or from the side ...has no effect and we don't even notice when a semi passes us. Oh yeah, we do 80% of our towing in the Southern Rockies of Southern Colorado at altitude. And have made several trips down to the valley around Mesa Az. I can see where you could have some issues towing a 35 ft. TT with the lighter !50 but it's your decision.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:53 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnfool View Post
54fun ... 2 cents from someone that actually towed a 31' TT with a ecoboost. Of course our eco is a heaver '13 HD model with Pyld Cap 2172. It was a challenge to pull that TT. TW was 1045 with total weight of 8600 lbs. Pulled it great when there was no wind what so ever or any semis in the neighborhood. Semis would suck us to them when they passed us. Towed it one year then DW decided we should downgrade, so we spent a year looking for the right rig & finally decided to go with a 5er (see sig). Best decision we ever made. Pin weight ready to travel 1340 and total weight of 8300 lbs. So far we have put over 15, 000 miles on the 5er. Wind, either front or from the side ...has no effect and we don't even notice when a semi passes us. Oh yeah, we do 80% of our towing in the Southern Rockies of Southern Colorado at altitude. And have made several trips down to the valley around Mesa Az. I can see where you could have some issues towing a 35 ft. TT with the lighter !50 but it's your decision.
you're talking about a trailer that weighs more than 1500 pounds, than what he'll be having. a 6k dry weight trailer should really only come out to weigh about 7k, maybe 7200 max. 8600 pounds versus 7000 is quite a difference. a 1/2 ton towing 7200 pounds is absolutely not unreasonable. Maybe with a Chevy, they still have that 5.3 powerplant no, sub 400 horsepower? I think people try to justify this argument by being mad they had to upgrade to a larger truck. Weight and size don't go hand in hand. a 19-foot 6k trailer is going to tow nothing, absolutely nothing like your 31 foot TT at 8600 pounds.
Yillbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:53 PM   #49

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When it comes to the effect that semis have on you I agree that TT length will have more to do with handling issues than wt.

Most trucks tip the scales around 6000 lbs give or take a few 100 lbs if your TT weighs less than that then the dog wags the tail more and the tail wags the dog and some kind of sway control would be advised.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:36 AM   #50

Yillbs I agree that 54fun asked about a smaller TT at the start of his post but he also made this statement...
"I really want (and was originally planning to get a Jayco 32BHDS (7600 dry, 955 tongue weight) but the consensus seems to be that it is really pushing my 2016 3.5 Ecoboost F150 Max Tow too much (still open for opinions here as well) ".
He was open to opinions on the longer, heavier TT and our was in the neighborhood of that length & weight so I offered him my 2 cents on my experiences pulling one that size.
Yillbs, we'd still be towing it (wasn't love but it wasn't bad) but it was a booger to get into the Forrest Service campgrounds we like to frequent, so the reason to downsize, now we live up at those campgrounds in the summer. This 5er is so much easier to get into those sites, not to mention easier to tow.

Safe travels
Milo
Old 06-23-2017, 07:13 AM   #51

Thanks for all of the input guys. OP update -here is where we're at - we ended up buying another camper we loved a few weeks back (FR Vibe 308BHS) - 7200 dry, 36.5' length (bumper to tongue). I bought the ProPride hitch, wanting to take sway out of the equation, and it did just that - zero sway. The Ecoboost pulled the trailer through the mountains (NC/VA/GA) just fine- no problems there. Tow/Haul mode worked well with engine braking downhill. However, in our 1800 mile journey, I hit enough mild cross winds even, to know exactly what you guys are talking about. Yes, I realize that with the length of the trailer, we are just one big sail. I do believe the length (vs weight) is a huge consideration. The vacuum effect of 18 wheelers, and the lightness of the front end, coupled with the tongue weight on this light truck - none of that is enjoyable, and we had too many stressful driving moments where I didn't feel safe, and was keeping it around 60 - 4 hour drives seemed like 10 hours. I'm now in the market to upgrade to an F250/F350 Super Duty. I really do love this truck...but a 17 Super Duty will give me the confidence, safety and stability that I want. It will also give me headroom down the road to go to a 5th wheel or something else. Just got to find the deal I want now on a truck. Thanks again for everyone's input.
54Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:33 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Fun View Post
Thanks for all of the input guys. OP update -here is where we're at - we ended up buying another camper we loved a few weeks back (FR Vibe 308BHS) - 7200 dry, 36.5' length (bumper to tongue). I bought the ProPride hitch, wanting to take sway out of the equation, and it did just that - zero sway. The Ecoboost pulled the trailer through the mountains (NC/VA/GA) just fine- no problems there. Tow/Haul mode worked well with engine braking downhill. However, in our 1800 mile journey, I hit enough mild cross winds even, to know exactly what you guys are talking about. Yes, I realize that with the length of the trailer, we are just one big sail. I do believe the length (vs weight) is a huge consideration. The vacuum effect of 18 wheelers, and the lightness of the front end, coupled with the tongue weight on this light truck - none of that is enjoyable, and we had too many stressful driving moments where I didn't feel safe, and was keeping it around 60 - 4 hour drives seemed like 10 hours. I'm now in the market to upgrade to an F250/F350 Super Duty. I really do love this truck...but a 17 Super Duty will give me the confidence, safety and stability that I want. It will also give me headroom down the road to go to a 5th wheel or something else. Just got to find the deal I want now on a truck. Thanks again for everyone's input.
As for feeling like you have a large sail behind you that won't end with any pickup if you put a long and relatively light trailer behind you.

I have to chuckle at those that think the weight of A a 3/4 ton will hold them down in high winds. I saw a tractor trailer probably a 48 ft get blown over on I-10 in Ontario CA. I've also seen a Yellow freight have his rear box flipped by winds.

Whenever I was in what I thought were dangerous wind I'd find a place to park. I always tried to park so the wind wasn't hitting the side of the trailer. So if large Semi trailer's are like a big sail I would think any long TT will be also. As for the size and weight of your trailer, it does sound like a little much for any happy ton. As a general observation most newer half tons seem to be within specs at 7000 gross give or take a a couple hundred pounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yillbs View Post
you're talking about a trailer that weighs more than 1500 pounds, than what he'll be having. a 6k dry weight trailer should really only come out to weigh about 7k, maybe 7200 max. 8600 pounds versus 7000 is quite a difference. a 1/2 ton towing 7200 pounds is absolutely not unreasonable. Maybe with a Chevy, they still have that 5.3 powerplant no, sub 400 horsepower? I think people try to justify this argument by being mad they had to upgrade to a larger truck. Weight and size don't go hand in hand. a 19-foot 6k trailer is going to tow nothing, absolutely nothing like your 31 foot TT at 8600 pounds.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:30 AM   #53

I never said high or dangerous winds. Mild cross winds is what I mentioned. The difference between the two may be subjective, but I could definitely feel the lightness of the front end, and have no doubt that would go away with a heavier truck.
54Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:00 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Fun View Post
I never said high or dangerous winds. Mild cross winds is what I mentioned. The difference between the two may be subjective, but I could definitely feel the lightness of the front end, and have no doubt that would go away with a heavier truck.
Fair point, guess I didn't read the post carefully enough. After driving Semis where you always have the tail wagging the dog I guess I'm just used to it. If the half ton has the power and is within all specs I just don't think the extra weight of a 3/4 ton matters but admit this is subjective. I would say if I was pulling something as long as you have at that weight I would probably want a big diesel too. Enjoy the new Rig
Old 06-27-2017, 03:31 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoorider View Post
Fair point, guess I didn't read the post carefully enough. After driving Semis where you always have the tail wagging the dog I guess I'm just used to it. If the half ton has the power and is within all specs I just don't think the extra weight of a 3/4 ton matters but admit this is subjective. I would say if I was pulling something as long as you have at that weight I would probably want a big diesel too. Enjoy the new Rig
Not only will the weight of a 3/4 ton help, but litterally everything is beefier. Springs are stiffer, axles are stronger, frame is tougher and tires are less flexiable. It will be a huge differance. Enjoy it
Stroker548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:41 PM   #56

Something else that should be mentioned here: the RV manufacturers will do anything to get you to buy their products. That means building "ultralights" which can be towed by 1/2 tons or even SUVs and cars. Well, in order to do that, they cut weight in every way possible, including fewer screws, glue, thinner, and lighter material. Sometimes, this means you may expect to see issues pop up in just a few years of ownership. I'm not saying or implying that you shouldn't go this route (I did, too), but just don't be surprised you get quality issues come up. Here's my Forest River 282QBS with bunkhouse, outdoor kitchen, almost 35 feet long, and 5797 dry pounds.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6576.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	166824
LA_RV_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, tow