Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2017, 07:25 PM   #1

Half ton towable with full bunkhouse, full outdoor kitchen

Anybody know of any models out there that are around 6000lbs dry (guessing that is the safe range for an F150) and has a large full (not miniature) outdoor kitchen, and a full bunkhouse room that can be closed off (not just stacking bunks in the corner with a curtain)? I really want (and was originally planning to get a Jayco 32BHDS (7600 dry, 955 tongue weight) but the consensus seems to be that it is really pushing my 2016 3.5 Ecoboost F150 Max Tow too much (still open for opinions here as well).

Assuming that unit is too heavy - anybody know of a similar layout in a lighter unit?
54Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2017, 10:24 PM   #2

I will suggest that 6000lb dry is far too much for an f150. My Nash 23B is listed at 4980 lbs dry and we had to upgrade to an F250. Tow ratings are designed for boat trailers which have low profile and low tongue weights.

A 30 min tow once i a while you will be ok , but we drive sometimes 8hrs a day and the f150 was exhausting to drive while towing.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:26 PM   #3

Trade your EB for a used 3/4 or 1 ton and then get the trailer you want.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcham View Post
I will suggest that 6000lb dry is far too much for an f150. My Nash 23B is listed at 4980 lbs dry and we had to upgrade to an F250. Tow ratings are designed for boat trailers which have low profile and low tongue weights.

A 30 min tow once i a while you will be ok , but we drive sometimes 8hrs a day and the f150 was exhausting to drive while towing.
"Whatcha talkin' 'bout, Willis"?

Edit: OP, your best bet is to go on RV Trader and put in the search parameters for travel trailers and sit back and browse all the listings and look at pictures. I am real particular on what we want and literally went through 51 pages the last two nights trying to find the right trailer at the right prices. Many ads had floor plan layouts with their pictures. The reality is if you are looking at any trailers in the 6-7K dry weight range you may want to step it up to a 3/4 ton truck. It all depends on your trucks capacities and your comfort level.
Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:37 PM   #5

I just bought a Cruiser RV SC-280QBS, seems to fit your request. Tows great with my 1500 Dodge.
Matfam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:13 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcham View Post

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. And F250 for less then 5klbs? Non-sense.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:49 AM   #7

5k empty = 7k loaded = 800-850lb tongue weight + hitch + people in truck + gear in bed = rear axle overloaded by 200-300lbs = unstable driving at highway speeds (without any wind). Add crosswinds and it gets really unpleasant.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:56 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I towed a 7000 lb trailer behind my 1/2 ton Silverado on a couple of 4 hour trips and it was exhausting. Pulling the same trailer behind my 3/4 ton is like regular driving with no stress involved. 1/2 tons will pull campers but the experience suffers and IMO takes away from the camping experience. Is a 3/4 or 1 ton required? No but is it more desirable and worth the upgrade yes. My truck is also a daily driver and other than the fuel mileage it isn't any different than driving the 1/2 ton.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matfam1 View Post
I just bought a Cruiser RV SC-280QBS, seems to fit your request. Tows great with my 1500 Dodge.
Thanks...yep, that is right in line with what I'm looking for! I can't seem to locate the manufacturer's website to see who their dealers are, but an rvtrader search points mainly to dealer in the west. I'm in FL. I'll keep looking though - this is a great baseline if I decide to keep my F150, and not upgrade to a Super Duty
Old 03-08-2017, 07:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
I towed a 7000 lb trailer behind my 1/2 ton Silverado on a couple of 4 hour trips and it was exhausting. Pulling the same trailer behind my 3/4 ton is like regular driving with no stress involved. 1/2 tons will pull campers but the experience suffers and IMO takes away from the camping experience. Is a 3/4 or 1 ton required? No but is it more desirable and worth the upgrade yes. My truck is also a daily driver and other than the fuel mileage it isn't any different than driving the 1/2 ton.
Great input. Thank you!
Old 03-08-2017, 07:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Fun View Post
Thanks...yep, that is right in line with what I'm looking for! I can't seem to locate the manufacturer's website to see who their dealers are, but an rvtrader search points mainly to dealer in the west. I'm in FL. I'll keep looking though - this is a great baseline if I decide to keep my F150, and not upgrade to a Super Duty
You didn't say what part of Florida, but this search was based on Orlando. This will take you to the website and then you can change the zip. Shadow Cruiser appears to be the brand for that model.

https://www.cruiserrv.com/dealer-loc...%5D=%7CSCUL%7C
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
You didn't say what part of Florida, but this search was based on Orlando. This will take you to the website and then you can change the zip. Shadow Cruiser appears to be the brand for that model.

https://www.cruiserrv.com/dealer-loc...%5D=%7CSCUL%7C
Clearly I need another cup of coffee...completely missed that, and was even at that dealer in Dover several weeks ago. Thanks!
Old 03-08-2017, 07:33 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
look first at the yellow post on the pillar of your truck for the real capacity of your specific model. Then calculate the weight of all the gear in the truck plus the people (remember kids only grow), add 80 pounds for a weight distribution hitch. Now you know what you have left for a trailer both in hitch weight and towing capacity. Then ignore any dry weight that a trailer manufacturer posts. It doesn't include propane, water, any gear, and generally not even items like the awning. Use the gross axel weight capacity instead because you will load it that way eventually (especially with kids). I bet you will end up looking at the 3/4 ton truck to get what you want.

Note we had a 1/2 ton and moved to a 3/4 ton. The big truck was a hard drive around town until we started lowering the rear tire pressure to 65 instead of the 80 it needs for towing. We just air the tires up before we tow, and we can't tell the difference in the ride quality between the two trucks. Physical size isn't much different either, though we had 4W drive on both so they were both big.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:01 PM   #14

We bought the camper we wanted, thinking our TV could pull it.... after some white knuckling short trips, I bought a F250 and drive with 1 hand now!! If buying the camper was the greatest family decision ever, buying a bigger truck would have to be 2nd
6Kampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, tow