Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2014, 09:45 AM   #1

Hanging stuff in RV?

M pretty sure someone posted about this but I'm curious...

The walls in an travel trailer are not made for hanging stuff.. Cheap wallpaper (would love to get rid of and put paneling but will add weight!) and thin walls... I've heard that 3m is horrible because it can still rip. Nails don't do anything but add holes.. Anyone have any suggestions that don't require ruining the walls or adding weight?
PrdNavywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
What are you trying to hang? Lightweight pictures/plaques I do use the 3M hangers/velcro. Anything heavier needs to be either mounted to the studs or with the expanding wall anchors.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #3

Well if we trade in later - I don't want to tear up walls. I'm wanting to hang pictures and hooks for different things.

- Nikki
PrdNavywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
We use these products in our home and our Coach, they work great and no holes in the walls, easy to remove also Command™ - Picture Hanging Strips & Hooks
Old 03-03-2014, 10:13 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In case you're talking about pictures, here's an idea:

Amazon.com: Fraimz by Fodeo Classic 5 x 7 Inches Display Area Peel and Stick Adhesive Picture Frame/Dry Erase Board Beveled Gold: Office Products
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:34 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrdNavywife View Post
Well if we trade in later - I don't want to tear up walls. I'm wanting to hang pictures and hooks for different things.

- Nikki
That's the next owner's problem. I know, not much help, but I believe in decorating my coach to my liking. I've been in lots of used coaches with hooks/holders/holes left in the walls by the previous owners.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #7

We use command strips all over the place. I recently found the flat version to use in hanging pics close to the wall.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #8

I would second command strips. Although I havn't used them in our new TT yet, I'm sure they would hold great since I used them on our gutters this winter to hang christmas lights. I just took them down the other day, and here in IN this year it got down to -20 with windchill and they still held the weight of some heavy lights without failing. The ones we used were picked up at lowes, and were super small. About the size of a dime.
mdrndaynomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:18 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have used many 3-M command hooks and only had one that did not come off clean as advertrised, and that one came off 'Wrong' in several ways.

If you are needing to hang something serious.. Use a stud finder to find teh studs or go out under the right weather conditions and with a light coat of dew on the RV photograph the thing, (THe Dew shows the rib pattern) and SCREW into the studs.

Only done that once for stuff INDOORS.. my radio mounts

I took a 2x4, Modified it a bit (Shaped, Stained) and screwed it hard into the studs.. Then mounted the radio brackets to it. Works great.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I used small brass or stainless screws, for which I'd counter sink holes in the corners of whatever I was hanging. Never had anything come off the wall. The holes left behind when we'd move on to our next RV were very small and hardly noticeable. You could probable find one of those small jars of putty in a similar color to your wallpaper and fill the holes if you felt necessary.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
We use command strips all over the place. I recently found the flat version to use in hanging pics close to the wall.
We use the same things, they work great.
rolo1 is offline   Reply With Quote