Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2021, 07:12 PM   #1

Has anyone installed this control on your Refrigerator? And does it work

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4012.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	333362
Timtoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2021, 07:42 PM   #2

YES and YES

It monitors fridge coolant temp 'real time'
If coolant temps rise too highit shuts down the DC so heating is interrupted Then When coolant temp comes back into specs it turns the DC back on and fridge functions return to normal

Dometic and Norcold
High Temp Switch trips the DC AFTER coolant temp is TOO hot
Then it has to be manually reset....in mean time fridge temps are rising/food spoiling/ice cream melting

ARP Defend is a Great product that is actually worth buying using
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:09 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
What Old-Biscuit said!

It's a pretty straightforward install and at least for me the customer service experience was very good. My ORV came standard with the Norcold Cold-Weather kit installed. The ARP instructions don't cover how to handle the installation with the cold-weather kit. I emailed them for support and got a reply within a day or so and then exchanged a few more emails with them to ensure I understood the adjustments to the installation procedure to ensure the cold-weather kit was handled properly.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
What Old-Biscuit said!

It's a pretty straightforward install and at least for me the customer service experience was very good. My ORV came standard with the Norcold Cold-Weather kit installed. The ARP instructions don't cover how to handle the installation with the cold-weather kit. I emailed them for support and got a reply within a day or so and then exchanged a few more emails with them to ensure I understood the adjustments to the installation procedure to ensure the cold-weather kit was handled properly.

We
Just got back from a 32 day 8200 mile trip in our Winnebago voyage and I thought about the refrigerator overheating possibly while on the road on propane especially going up and down the mountains in Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, and Washington,
It’s a Dometic 1350 ,doesn’t look hard to hook up , frig temps were at 33-35 on the trip
Old 06-23-2021, 08:48 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timtoolman View Post
We
Just got back from a 32 day 8200 mile trip in our Winnebago voyage and I thought about the refrigerator overheating possibly while on the road on propane especially going up and down the mountains in Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, and Washington,
It’s a Dometic 1350 ,doesn’t look hard to hook up , frig temps were at 33-35 on the trip
The hardest part of the install for me was the temperature sensor on the boiler tube. I had to loosen the unit up and pull it out a few inches to get enough room to reach in and open the cover. Otherwise pretty simple to wire up.

If you have a side-vent fridge I'd recommend getting the package with 2 ventilator blowers - one for top and one for bottom side vents - and the 2 defrost blowers for inside the fridge. The side vent units tend to have less air flow across the back of the fridge compared to the roof vented units so the extra ventilator fans help a lot with that. The defrost blowers help even out the cooling inside the fridge. I noticed the temps were much more consistent between items at the bottom of the fridge compared to the middle/top after the defrost blowers were installed.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
The hardest part of the install for me was the temperature sensor on the boiler tube. I had to loosen the unit up and pull it out a few inches to get enough room to reach in and open the cover. Otherwise pretty simple to wire up.

If you have a side-vent fridge I'd recommend getting the package with 2 ventilator blowers - one for top and one for bottom side vents - and the 2 defrost blowers for inside the fridge. The side vent units tend to have less air flow across the back of the fridge compared to the roof vented units so the extra ventilator fans help a lot with that. The defrost blowers help even out the cooling inside the fridge. I noticed the temps were much more consistent between items at the bottom of the fridge compared to the middle/top after the defrost blowers were installed.

I have a side-vent fridge, factory has 4 fans 90mm . I added 2 120 mm fans , their fans look interesting, I have the frost free fan kit inside (5) small fans mounted on fins., my flue is on the left side , I’ve been reading their on-line instructions, looks straightforward on install ,
Old 06-23-2021, 09:01 PM   #7

Quote:
We
You wouldn't 'know' it overheated unless it tripped
Problem is overheating of coolant which can be high enough to cause crystallization/plating out on inside of cooling unit before the OEM High Temp Sensor detects overheating and trips the DC

ARP Defend has video showing temps/time ---overheating
Sodium Chromate ---a rust inhibitor in the coolant solution...forms crystals when overheated/plate out which causes obstruction in gravity flow/more overheating/more crystals/more plating repeat....
Damage is Accumulative and Permanent until cooling dies.

ARP Video
https://www.arprv.com/fridge-defend-...sure-video.php

Service/Diagnostic Manual
Pg 20...OEM thermo-fuse Info
http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/Servi...,%20RM1350.pdf
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:02 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Installed it and recommend it. Really like the adjustable fan control. I feel much better about reduced possibility of refrigerator fire.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbbob15 View Post
Installed it and recommend it. Really like the adjustable fan control. I feel much better about reduced possibility of refrigerator fire.

Thank you for the answers/advice , I’ll be getting one here in the near future
Old 06-23-2021, 09:22 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Yes, I installed the kit on our Norcold 1200. I would say the install was “somewhat” straight forward. I do remember having some issue with the boiler tube sensor and getting in the correct location and then the programming of the device itself.

The instructions provided are super duper very convoluted and obviously written by an engineer (and dare I say for an engineer).

I would say my experience with the “customer support” was less than desirable. If I’m not mistaken, the creator/engineer for this product IS the technical support.
ALL tech support is done through email only (super frustrating) and really delays getting answers in a timely manner. To top it off, he answers questions as if you were an engineer and familiar with the operation of the device.

I ended up getting answers relating to some of my questions by searching the web for others who had experienced this install.

All that being said, the product ultimately works as intended and really shows, in real time, how quickly temps can rise when out of level. I am very confident the device will protect the fridge from boiler over temp damage, which in turn should help extend the life of the fridge. Just prepare yourself for some frustration along the way. I do recommend it.

My fridge is in the slide, and as suggested, I went with the dual fan set up as well as the interior fans.

If you do get it, and have questions, post it here as well as sending to ARP. That may get you through it quicker.

Have fun!
Old 06-23-2021, 09:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblas View Post
Yes, I installed the kit on our Norcold 1200. I would say the install was “somewhat” straight forward. I do remember having some issue with the boiler tube sensor and getting in the correct location and then the programming of the device itself.

The instructions provided are super duper very convoluted and obviously written by an engineer (and dare I say for an engineer).

I would say my experience with the “customer support” was less than desirable. If I’m not mistaken, the creator/engineer for this product IS the technical support.
ALL tech support is done through email only (super frustrating) and really delays getting answers in a timely manner. To top it off, he answers questions as if you were an engineer and familiar with the operation of the device.

I ended up getting answers relating to some of my questions by searching the web for others who had experienced this install.

All that being said, the product ultimately works as intended and really shows, in real time, how quickly temps can rise when out of level. I am very confident the device will protect the fridge from boiler over temp damage, which in turn should help extend the life of the fridge. Just prepare yourself for some frustration along the way. I do recommend it.

My fridge is in the slide, and as suggested, I went with the dual fan set up as well as the interior fans.

If you do get it, and have questions, post it here as well as sending to ARP. That may get you through it quicker.

Have fun!

Thank you
Old 06-24-2021, 04:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Thank you

I ordered this one today
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4016.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	333482  
Old 06-24-2021, 04:15 PM   #13

Quote:
I ordered this one today

I’ll put the other 2 fans on bottom grill cover since I have 2 on top
Old 06-24-2021, 05:44 PM   #14

I use this as well. I have two large fans on the outside and two small ones on the inside. I bought an extra one of each (three of each) just in case of a failure.

Tags
install, led, refrigerator