Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2020, 10:24 AM   #15

Agree that toy haulers can be tongue heavy, and not required for your needs.
I think your on the right track looking at bunks for this purpose.
Since you will be loading lots of gear into the trailer you’ll want to keep an eye on their cargo carrying capacity (CCC). That NOBO 19.3 is actually quite impressive at 3,351 lbs. but do check this number on units sitting on dealers lots. Options will take away from this number.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2020, 12:44 PM   #16

Thanks for the replies and the in-depth info/links! Very helpful!

While the Toy Haulers are nice, I don't really have the amount/size of toys and/or storage needs that would make a TH a feasible option, especially for the weight trade-off vs regular trailers.

UPDATE:
Just this morning, a dealer about 1500 miles away contacted me to confirm that they have a NoBo 19.3 in stock, so I put a deposit on it, while I make a final decision...No dealers in the entire western US have, or expect to have, any of these in stock until October.

I have seen many reviews, video walkthroughs, pictures, etc of this model, and am very confident that it should fit my needs, HOWEVER, I am very leery of paying this amount of money on something that I've never actually seen/inspected in person...

Am I being too cautious, or should I just pull the trigger and get it done?!
NW Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:44 PM   #17

No, do not pay anymore than the deposit. You need to find somebody to do an inspection, and exercise all systems before purchasing.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:48 PM   #18

Are there people that do inspections??
Old 08-15-2020, 09:12 PM   #19

Help! I Need a TT & TV Solution!

I watched the video on the NoBo 19.3. To be honest, it looks nice but not mind blowing. The small toy hauler door looks a bit gimmicky IMO. won't even hold one full size bike.

I had a keystone passport GT 2950BH with a better toy hauler door, and even that one would be hard pressed to fit two adult bikes.

My advice:

1 - go with a brand offered by local dealers. You're liable to spend at least a few trips to the dealer to get things fixed within the first few months. If you bought the RV at another dealer they're less likely to let you cut in line for scheduling, and they are historically SLAMMED right now.

2 - go with a long bed truck or at least the 6.5' version. Use that, with racks or whatever, to haul toys. They sell tongue mount bike hitches. Kayaks or whatever you'll need to haul down to the water anyway, not to mention day trips. Both options will work better than the half baked toy door in the NoBo.

If you can wait, the unicorn F150 with HDPP will have plenty of cargo carrying capacity and a long bed. Get a nice camper like the Winnebago with no compromises.

Just my 2 cents.

Edit - just realized you already got a truck. Still, I would outfit that for light toy hauling and let your camper be a camper. I really like the Winnebago and Grand design models.
swavescatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:44 PM   #20

I appreciate your insight, and hear what you're saying...

After getting actual dimensions today on the NoBo's "toy door" and fold up bunk storage, I discovered that my bikes, in fact, won't fit like I had hoped...so, yeah, it's time to consider other options.

I do like the Micro Minnies, and now want to check out ORV, and some of the lighter toy haulers.

Back to the old drawing board, I guess...
Old 08-16-2020, 06:54 AM   #21

I've been reading a fair amount of positive feedback in the toy hauler area regarding Genesis Supreme.

Take a look at the 19SSL. You can option a rear powered lift sofa/bunk for additional sleeping space. Plenty of room for toys, not a terrible empty hitch weight either.
Genesis Supreme RV Genesis Trailers

Should be several dealers not too far from you. Smaller manufacturer, appear to be very flexible in meeting customer needs regarding options/builds.

Here's the only decent walk through I could find, it's a dealer ad, no affiliation.
https://youtu.be/GQQpQ5Knteo
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:32 AM   #22

You probably need to either fly or drive to where the TT is, inspect, check out, tow it, etc. before plunking down your $$. In my experience with TTs, the interior finishes are cheap and leave much to be desired.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 01:41 PM   #23

Definitely keep an eye out for used that would work for your needs.

Really is not a good time to buy new. Dealers inventory is low, prices are high. Factory are stressed, working under less than ideal situations.

Finding a well kept unit, with factory defects worked out is where I’d look. Not to mention the dealers available service dates are backed up fixing all the factory defects.

Never get in a hurry, and look at as many different manufacturers, and models as possible.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:05 AM   #24

Thank you all for the continued suggestions and advice...

@bneukam, I've been back and forth with regard to new vs used, and I've simply come to the conclusion that I don't want to inherit someone else's problems and "fixes"...I'm a bit OCD that way.

@Dave, that TH looks great, but man, of all the reviews I've seen for a particular product line, that company has MANY angry customers, and what sounds like a lot of quality control issues...thank you, though, for the suggestion!

In the interim, I found another unit that is "only" 900 miles away, and I plan to make a deposit, drive to see it, and if it's what I THINK it is, in terms of floorplan, fit/finish, and such, I will tow it home. If not, it will be a good excuse to visit friends and family (at a distance, ofc) who live in that area.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:59 PM   #25

Update:

After being able to compare fit/finish, build quality between entry, mid and higher level TT's, I found the one, and just signed the final paperwork today.

A brand new 2020 Lance 2285 is getting towed home next week!

Thank you all for your input and guidance as I venture into RVing!
Old 09-15-2020, 01:48 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Mariner View Post
Update:

After being able to compare fit/finish, build quality between entry, mid and higher level TT's, I found the one, and just signed the final paperwork today.

A brand new 2020 Lance 2285 is getting towed home next week!

Thank you all for your input and guidance as I venture into RVing!

Lance is a great choice.
FWIW, I’m still laughing about your wise and gracious comment in your original post. [emoji23]
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 04:01 PM   #27

fwiw, I could barely tell my 5k# TT was behind my factory tow pkg V8 1/2T Tundra. Factory says its rated for like 9900#. I use an Equalizer wd hitch.
Cferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:49 PM   #28

My daughter had a similar TV with 3500 capacity. Tows a small Trailer at 3300. Never had a problem.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote