Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2017, 06:54 PM   #1

Help: Leak Mystery

Just bought my first trailer, and I am beyond excited! Glad I could join you guys on the adventure.

Though with my first RV comes my first problem. I have a leak that just drips. It comes through the back left corner of the undercarriage that is covered in a tarp like material. It seems to only drip when water is connected, but is on the opposite side from the water connection or any pipes. The tarp covering does not look like I could just remove it to see the problem. I cannot figure out for the life of me what it could be.
It is a 2006 Keystone Hornet.
Any help would be great. In the attached pictures, I point out the small hole where it drips and then show where the water connection is in relation to the hole. All the plumbing is not near the leak.

Please help, thank you. Have a great day
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4393.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	334.8 KB
ID:	182225

Name:	IMG_4395.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	182226

Name:	IMG_4390.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	182227

Name:	IMG_4389.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	182228

[Mod Edit]
usuborder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2017, 07:13 PM   #2

There is no easy solution, you are going to have to start removing panels inside and outside in that area to inspect everything. Keep in mind the actual water leak can be many feet away and the water will track to the lowest point to pool and show up as a leak elsewhere. As far as removing the under side fabric, there should be screws along the edge and a metal strip to hold it in place. Another option is to cut the fabric open with a knife and then repair the cut with black Gorilla tape from Walmart.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:55 PM   #3

Is there a vent pipe that perhaps doesn't have a vent cap on it. Mine has a vent pipe in the corner of the closet oppisite all my water lines and fixtures.
DutchmenTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
There is no easy solution, you are going to have to start removing panels inside and outside in that area to inspect everything. Keep in mind the actual water leak can be many feet away and the water will track to the lowest point to pool and show up as a leak elsewhere. As far as removing the under side fabric, there should be screws along the edge and a metal strip to hold it in place. Another option is to cut the fabric open with a knife and then repair the cut with black Gorilla tape from Walmart.

That’s what I was worried about. Sigh.
I appreciate your two cents [emoji16]
Old 11-07-2017, 06:08 AM   #5

Agree with grindstone. Cut the black barrier and repair with Gorilla Tape.

You stated it only leaks when connected to water supply so I would troubleshoot water lines first. Do you have a sink or or toilet in the back? Does your water pump stay pressurized? If not, you probably have a leak in a water line at a fitting somewhere. Once you find the leak, consider doing the repair with Sharkbites (see YouTube on Sharkbite Fittings if you've never seen them before. They are easy to use and reliable).

If it doesn't happen when it rains, I would guess your corners seems are okay and not the issue, but I would check the corners any way.

As stated in previous post, water can travel along beams, the fabric or the floor and find an exit far away from the source.

Good luck!
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:32 AM   #6

It seemed to do it most when the toilet flushed, which is the closest to the leak.

Okay, thank you! I’ll look that up [emoji2]
Old 11-07-2017, 10:33 AM   #7

Thanks to all the replies guys. Great to feel welcomed
Old 11-08-2017, 08:31 PM   #8

Think about it as an adventure. Don't worry about cutting the moisture barrier, it is easy to restore the seal with scrimshield tape. Get it in small sizes, it is much sticker than duct tape. Surface Shields (BP4180) 4" x 180' Scrim Shield Repair Tape https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002SSGAZG..._6S8aAb7RDY5NF
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:12 PM   #9

Haha. Good take on it. I’m really worried about resale value with cutting....

Thanks for the response! I’ll look at that tape
Old 11-09-2017, 05:57 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Personally I would rather see an access panel cut in the underbelly on a trailer I was thinking of buying. It shows that someone cared enough to perform some maintenance. You may want to replace all that with Coroplast screwed with large washers anyway. That way you can cut real access panels that are slightly bigger than the openings and use self tappers to make it a removable panel. Would hold a bit more heat in too for those fringe season trips.

Here is a shot of my fresh water dump valve and the access panel protecting it. The panel just uses some sticky roofing caulking and short screws that just bite the main panel. Doesn't take much to hold it. The main coroplast is fastened at the edges and across a couple frame members with self tappers and washers.

Sorry if I am rambling, had a minor surgery today so I am enjoying some pretty good drugs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	b57dea0cf2d25366e01e16ac4c2bf127.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	182408  
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:15 PM   #11

Your rambling is much appreciated. Thanks so much for this! I feel confident, and will go through with it. Just got to buy that tape. Godspeed on your healing!

Tags
leak