Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2018, 03:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo View Post
I've got three and we decided to go with the trailer below. The 2 girls share a bunk, boy gets his own (up top).

The specs are not 100% accurate for the newest model, but in the ballpark:

ORV | Creekside 21DBS
I actually really like 2 of the orv models. Unfortunately I'm in the Midwest and would have to go halfway across the us to pick a trailer! But that's also why I like the northwood nash. In house frame 4 season trailer. Solar ready, more capacity. Also kids will be 5, 3, and newborn this year. As for the water tanks being full. Majority of time wont need full tanks but do plan on doing some boon docking so like to keep full tank of water weight in the equation for leftover cargo capacities. I would like to plan for a 3500 hundred diesel in the future but really love my burb! Maybe once the car seats start disappearing then a crew cab truck could be in the future. After these responses the lance 2185 is definitely out. Just not enough capacity for a family of five that will continue to grow each year.
rte1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2018, 06:48 PM   #16

Your 2500 Suburban sure sounds like it will tow just fine. However, check the rated capacity of the hitch receiver under the bumper. I remember reading that some of these may only be rated to 800-1,000 lbs, which would be marginal for an 8,000 lb TT.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:00 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rte1985 View Post
I actually really like 2 of the orv models. Unfortunately I'm in the Midwest and would have to go halfway across the us to pick a trailer! But that's also why I like the northwood nash. In house frame 4 season trailer. Solar ready, more capacity. Also kids will be 5, 3, and newborn this year. As for the water tanks being full. Majority of time wont need full tanks but do plan on doing some boon docking so like to keep full tank of water weight in the equation for leftover cargo capacities. I would like to plan for a 3500 hundred diesel in the future but really love my burb! Maybe once the car seats start disappearing then a crew cab truck could be in the future. After these responses the lance 2185 is definitely out. Just not enough capacity for a family of five that will continue to grow each year.
You fill the fresh water tank to full right before you pull off at your boondocking site. But in getting there, travel with less water, only filling on the final short leg.

Consequently, I'm 2000 miles from my dealer. I paid a driver to deliver the unit to me. Worked out fine.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Flyer View Post
Your 2500 Suburban sure sounds like it will tow just fine. However, check the rated capacity of the hitch receiver under the bumper. I remember reading that some of these may only be rated to 800-1,000 lbs, which would be marginal for an 8,000 lb TT.
Ya the generation burbs after mine starting using those hitches that were part of the bumper system. I installed a Curt class v hitch so tongue weight won’t be an issue.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:36 AM   #19

Check out the Open Range 2510, some interesting features going on.
cdoorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rte1985 View Post
Ya the generation burbs after mine starting using those hitches that were part of the bumper system. I installed a Curt class v hitch so tongue weight won’t be an issue.

It’s not the hitch I am referring to, but the square receiver part that is welded to the underside of your Sub. The part that your hitch ball slides into.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:08 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Flyer View Post
It’s not the hitch I am referring to, but the square receiver part that is welded to the underside of your Sub. The part that your hitch ball slides into.
The Curt class V hitch receiver I have on my burb is a 2inch receiver with a 2400 pound tongue weight capacity.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:21 AM   #22

Perfect.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:30 AM   #23

That Burb is the "cat's meow" for a family tow rig, don't let anyone talk you out of it.

Here's where I think the trailer cargo capacity comes from, the frame and construction. This Outdoors RV video shows the custom frame construction that both Northwood (Nash) and Outdoors RV use. This is why I think they are different and better. It's often what you can't see that matters.
https://youtu.be/Lf0ecjsQYXY

Fwiw, the Nash 25C uses wood wall construction, but it is very good. ORV uses aluminum wall construction. Both use similar crown roof construction. I really like that Nash 25C.
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:18 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal_Dave View Post
That Burb is the "cat's meow" for a family tow rig, don't let anyone talk you out of it.

Here's where I think the trailer cargo capacity comes from, the frame and construction. This Outdoors RV video shows the custom frame construction that both Northwood (Nash) and Outdoors RV use. This is why I think they are different and better. It's often what you can't see that matters.
https://youtu.be/Lf0ecjsQYXY

Fwiw, the Nash 25C uses wood wall construction, but it is very good. ORV uses aluminum wall construction. Both use similar crown roof construction. I really like that Nash 25C.
I tell my wife that that Burb is a unicorn. I don't know If I will ever be able to let it go. Besides the cost of new vehicles these days leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Also that's why I really like the Northwood/ORV. Just seem to be built like tanks. The closest ORV dealer is 1000 miles away, however I do love their double over bunks allowing 2 kids to sleep on the bed. The nash only has 2 single bunks that are almost like coffins. (would have to custom make the third bunk on the floor like the lance). But I grew up sleeping on the ground in a tent so those narrow bunks would have been luxury for me as a kid. Also the Nash seems like a better layout for when its just me and the mrs when the kids don't want to go camping or when the want to just sleep in the tent. Decisions decisions. Least I have this year to figure out what we are doing.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:18 PM   #25

Road trips to buy ORV are quite common on this forum and elsewhere. Reach out to Thompson RV in Pendleton, check out their Facebook page, look at all the long distance customers listed.

Here's a lightly used 2016 ORV Creekside 23DBS listed for sale in Cheasapeake, VA, says negotiable...
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...DBS-5001835122

And if you are looking for a deal, on an extremely well made trailer,these are the grandfather to the Winnebago Minnie, and were much better made back in the day. Cruzbill on the forum has one, and can attest to the quality. They went halfway across the country to get theirs.
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...SBS-5001431663

They don't list the 29SBS here, but check out the rest of the features.
https://www.jerrystrailers.com/fckim...11-Harmony.pdf

Units available for 2012 SunnyBrook RV Harmony 29SBS | SunnyBrook RVs.com
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:21 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal_Dave View Post
Road trips to buy ORV are quite common on this forum and elsewhere. Reach out to Thompson RV in Pendleton, check out their Facebook page, look at all the long distance customers listed.

Here's a lightly used 2016 ORV Creekside 23DBS listed for sale in Cheasapeake, VA, says negotiable...
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...DBS-5001835122
I have that exact trailer and that's what I paid new for it. So yeah, they better negotiate!
Old 03-12-2018, 10:51 PM   #27

Excerpt from a NHTSA Q&A file.

The FMVSS have requirements for the manufacturer to use proper tires and rims for the gross axle weight rating (GAWR) and the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR). The manufacturer may determine the GVWR by adding cargo capacity (if any) to the curb weight of the vehicle as manufactured. The wise consumer, before purchase, will determine if the vehicle has sufficient cargo capacity to carry the weight of water, additional equipment (such as televisions, and microwave ovens), and luggage. The manufacturer’s certification label must show the GVWR. The GVWR must not be exceeded by overloading the vehicle. There is little the government can do to assist a consumer who has purchased a vehicle that has insufficient cargo capacity for its intended use.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:56 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
Excerpt from a NHTSA Q&A file.

The FMVSS have requirements for the manufacturer to use proper tires and rims for the gross axle weight rating (GAWR) and the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR). The manufacturer may determine the GVWR by adding cargo capacity (if any) to the curb weight of the vehicle as manufactured. The wise consumer, before purchase, will determine if the vehicle has sufficient cargo capacity to carry the weight of water, additional equipment (such as televisions, and microwave ovens), and luggage. The manufacturer’s certification label must show the GVWR. The GVWR must not be exceeded by overloading the vehicle. There is little the government can do to assist a consumer who has purchased a vehicle that has insufficient cargo capacity for its intended use.
That is how I always perceived it! Good info