Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2015, 09:14 AM   #15

Don't know that Sams/WM is any better or worse for batteries, but one good thing is they are everywhere in order to get a replacement during the warranty. There are a limited number of battery mfgs, so you may be getting one from the same mfg regardless of the label/brand.
True deep cycle units will probably only have a 12-month warranty/18 at the most. I recently got 2 sealed lead-acid (SLA) batteries from local Sams with 36 month free replacement, and if they fail in the next 3 years, will just get new ones.
I have 2x6 volt Trojans in series paralled with the SLAs--not the best arrangement, but working fine for 2-3 weeks between CG hookups.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2015, 12:40 PM   #16

I would go with 2 Trojan 6 volts and then test the converter for proper function. Maybe switch to a Precision Dynamics with the Charge Wizard. If you have a WFCO converter junk it immediately.
Good luck!
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:28 PM   #17

I agree, you have a draw somewhere. Maybe try using your vehicle battery so you can test it prior to leaving. If you have room, 2-trojan T-105RE 6V, they have thicker plates than the standard T105.

Consider a small solar system at some point if you like to boondock as you will get a much better charge into your batteries.

Look up these batteries online

Concord Lifeline AGM (probably the best AGM)
Rolls Surrette
Crown
Gilleshps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:55 AM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Small parasitic draws from propane detector, refer controls, radio, etc. etc can be minimized by shutting down as many as possible (i.e. turn refer to "off" not "auto").
They should not drain a fully charged battery overnight.
I have small travel trailer with 2 group 24's and we can go at least 2-3 days boondocking without drawing down battery to critical point where it won't run the reefer controls (I think this is about 10 volts - I'd have to look it up)..

Use known good and full charged battery (like vehicle battery - doesn't need to be a deep cycle for test) and check for draw by putting multimeter probes between pos term and cable end - if voltage or amperage here- start pulling fuses to isolate the circuit.
All troubleshooting must start with a good and fully charged battery - use your vehicle battery - but have it tested to make sure it is good and fully charged first.

Definitely make sure you have no problem in wiring or converter/charger. Are you sure your trailer battery had been fully charged by the on board unit?

Be patient and systematic - write down everything you observe and think it through.
Best regards,
KG
KKTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:17 AM   #19
Community Moderator

Once you get your charging system all sorted out, and eliminate unnecessary electric drains, this is a good battery - if you only have room for one 12 volt battery.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1444569366.971850.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	109345
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:00 AM   #20

Do yourself two favors
1. Read this site - you do not need to memorize the details but you do need a good general understanding of what you are dealing with:

Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University

2. Check out this site for battery information. You do not need to buy from them although you probably can get what you want from a local dealer. You do need to know sizes and what is available. Partly so you only buy something that fits in your space.

Interstate Batteries | The Search For Batteries Ends Here â„¢

FWIW there have been multiple reports about batteries that are damaged in storage by running down when sitting on the factory and dealer lots. All "new" campers have suspect batteries. I'd translate that to you may have started with half dead batteries.

If you want to evaluate a battery for self discharge pull one connection and check the voltage after a day and a week and see what happens. When storing long term I would also look at pulling a cable or adding a disconnect at the battery connection.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:57 PM   #21

The batteries that Walmart sells are made by "Interstate". This information comes from two different Walmart department managers in upstate New York.
They are all liquid acid type batteries. I have yet to see an AGM type battery in a Walmart.
Boomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 01:03 PM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
How many battery manufacturers are there in North America? Four, maybe? Everything they make just gets different labels. Even the premium brands can have problems. Half of the time, you can get what you pay for. The rest of the time it's a crap shoot.

Get what you like and take good care of it. The rest isn't up to you.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:23 PM   #23

Agree that there aren't usually AGMs in Walmart. But I got the SLAs at my local Sams, and I believe there was a limited number of Optimas in the selection.
Also, the current 6-volt batteries that I have in the Suites (4 yrs old) are NAPA brand and are identical to the Trojans I took out--if i was a betting man, NAPA 6-volts are made by Trojan.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That's probably a pretty good bet.

Tags
battery