Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2020, 08:43 AM   #1

Help Needed Please KZ Water Fill

Hello All

I am new to the KZ trailer family. We just purchased a 2012 KZ 220 this spring. We really like the trailer but have questions about the water fill. We do not have a gravity fill and need to fill through the city water hook up. I am not 100% sure of this procedure as the manual is horrible. I know the only open valve needs to be the "chrome" valve going to the water tank but how do I know when the tank is full? Does anyone have any better instructions or videos that help show how to fill the tanks? I have no idea when to know when the tank is full.

Thanks,

Tom
Tominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2020, 09:06 AM   #2

Go to Amazon and search "threaded RV funnel". You may be able to assemble something which will work. Five gallons of water (40+ lbs) does get pretty heavy so it will probably be a two-person job to refill while boondocking.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:10 AM   #3

Or, you may be able to use a "water thief", a hose device with hose threads on one end and a short, flexible hose to slip over a non-threaded water spout.

Welcome to the forum!
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:34 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is there a control panel inside the RV that shows the levels of the black and tanks?

There may be a water tank level indicator on it.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Is there a control panel inside the RV that shows the levels of the black and tanks?

There may be a water tank level indicator on it.
There is but I am not sure if there is a relief valve so I don't blow the tank apart. The manual is pretty brutal.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominator View Post
There is but I am not sure if there is a relief valve so I don't blow the tank apart. The manual is pretty brutal.
The tank has to be vented somewhere. If it wasn't, water would not be able to move in and out of the tank. When the tank is full it should run out that vent. I have no idea where it might be located. I guess you'll know when it runs out on the ground. You may want to fill the tank slowly until you find the vent and know how big it is.

There is no "relief valve", just a vent in the top of the tank with a vent line running to somewhere. It's open to the atmosphere.

I've seen some travel trailers where the manufacturer stopped the vent on top of the plastic stapled to the under floor. No idea why they would do that.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:06 PM   #7

Fresh water tank in addition to the small vent line will have an OVERFLOW line that goes from tank then down thru bottom of RV. (probably 1/2" line)

Fill tank until water flows out of that line......tank is then FULL
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:59 PM   #8

I fill until water comes out of the vent. That is how I tell. You will see it dripping but you need to be watching for it.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:59 PM   #9

Welcome to the KZ family, my KZ Durango has 2 overflow lines that start running when the tank is full. You should have some on your model also, another place to ask this question and look for the answer is the KZfamilyforum.com
Old 08-04-2020, 06:18 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
https://kzfamilyforum.com/
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:13 AM   #11

I agree the owner's manual isn't real clear.
I really, really think you have a gravity fill, although you may have to use a hose to dump the water in. Page 46? When water squirts out, it is full.
It looks like both the city water and gravity fill are both threaded, they just look a little different.

If boondocking, you might want to use a portable water pump to put it in. As mentioned, 5 gallons of water can get heavy.

https://www.kz-rv.com/owners-manuals...ers-Manual.pdf
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:28 PM   #12

Thanks everyone. We got it figured out and have a full tank of water! Happy camping or glamping as my friends say!
Old 08-11-2020, 12:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominator View Post
Thanks everyone. We got it figured out and have a full tank of water! Happy camping or glamping as my friends say!

Mind posting the 'solution' so in future others can find the infomation
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote