Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2022, 04:54 PM   #1

Help! New Jayco, freezing temps now slider won't go in!

So we brought home a 2022 Jayco 265rls TT the last weekend of October. We had problems with the radio not working so we called to make an appt to have it fixed and they said this month so instead my husband went and picked a new one up and installed it himself (we are 45 min from the dealership). Of course now it won't play one of the speakers outside and the TV sound won't play through the speakers. Well then we noticed a leak of antifreeze under the kitchen sink which he tried to fix but it still leaked. So I told him we'd better fill it with water and test all the plumbing to be sure because now they are booking into mid spring... After our first camping trip! But he kept putting it off. Well we had our first deep freeze after a rain fall this week and now it's snowing. So he went out to put the slider in but it's frozen! He turned the heat up in it a few hrs ago but it's not working! Any suggestions?
MikeandGini is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2022, 05:12 PM   #2

Not sure why you had the slide out at this time of year….there’s no restrictions with the slide in, other than the entertainment system. Oh well.

I’m betting you can’t get your rig indoors to warm it up?

It’s imperative that you check the top of the slide. If it’s got ice, snow or whatever on it, if it’s frozen on the top and/or sides…..you need to clear it. Maybe really hot water? Using a torch is dangerous.
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 09:37 PM   #3

In addition to the areas around the slide, I'd look at the mechanism. Ice on the mechanism can stop about any deployment. I'd look at that. If there is ice on it, you need to defrost it someway. Maybe an infrared heater or something like that. A halogen work light might work.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 01:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Not sure why you had the slide out at this time of year….there’s no restrictions with the slide in, other than the entertainment system. Oh well.

I’m betting you can’t get your rig indoors to warm it up?

It’s imperative that you check the top of the slide. If it’s got ice, snow or whatever on it, if it’s frozen on the top and/or sides…..you need to clear it. Maybe really hot water? Using a torch is dangerous.
The reason we had it out is because we had just brought it home as stated in the beginning of the post. And we had to clean it all since they didn't clean it all at the dealership. And then we had to put everything back in it from our old camper that we had traded in. It was all in our garage (which unfortunately is too small for the camper). And like I said I was waiting for my husband to put water in it to test all the water lines in it so we could get it all covered up. Up to this week the temps had been close to 60. Then we had a cold snap come through
Old 01-07-2022, 03:37 AM   #5

Is the trailer plugged into the house? Battery power good and not dead? Low voltage (dead or weak battery) could stop the motor from bringing the slide in, especially if it has to work harder to break the initial “seal” and start coming in.

Is the motor trying to work (you can hear it humming, or you can see the slide physically trying to budge but then stops)? If no then it’s probably a motor problem. (Check battery power.) I don’t think the motor would be in a position where it can ice up very easily.

If the slide does try to budge then you have an obstruction somewhere. (Frozen to seals, ice/snow on top of slide, something inside that’s getting pinched, etc)
Backcountry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 04:03 AM   #6

It's probably pretty cold in the house by now also.
Old 01-08-2022, 12:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
In addition to the areas around the slide, I'd look at the mechanism. Ice on the mechanism can stop about any deployment. I'd look at that. If there is ice on it, you need to defrost it someway. Maybe an infrared heater or something like that. A halogen work light might work.
I'm going to have him check all those places. Thanks
Old 01-08-2022, 12:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Dog View Post
It's probably pretty cold in the house by now also.
Definitely! We keep our heat in the house set to 75 all year round. But it still feels cold when it's 27 outside like it was today.
We did turn the heat on in the camper and put and small electric space heater in it. It's like the little ones for bathrooms
Old 01-10-2022, 01:03 AM   #9

Sunshine Tuesday.
It will warm up Wed, Thurs, Fri.
I'd wait and not risk breaking anything before it warms up and melts.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 12:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by garywilson View Post
Sunshine Tuesday.
It will warm up Wed, Thurs, Fri.
I'd wait and not risk breaking anything before it warms up and melts.
It's only supposed to be 27 here tomorrow but in the 40s Wed and Thurs. Yesterday and today it was a bit warmer then it was Friday and Saturday. Just windy. So he got up on the ladder and made sure there wasn't any ice or snow on the top or around the outside and there wasn't. And even used a torch to heat up the outside. Even inside it's warm since he's had the heat on. But it still won't go in. Now I'm wondering if it's not even frozen like we thought. We put it out the day we brought it home to start cleaning it and putting things inside and working on the radio, waiting for parts etc. But we never tried to put it back in. So I was thinking about that yesterday. That we don't even know if it worked the day we brought it home. It was closed up the day we got it. The day we did the walk through it was opened and they didn't put the slider in that day so we never thought of asking them to put it back out the day we picked it up
Old 01-11-2022, 11:56 PM   #11

I don't have that particular trailer, but:

Since he was working on the radio (different circuit, but still in the 12V system), fuse, wire loose, breaker, battery connections not tight, battery drained, etc. If when pushing the slide switch you hear a hum or the motor trying to work, I'd think either low battery or slightly loose connection.

I'd first make sure that the battery has a full charge (use volt meter) or that the 120V is plugged in (microwave should work).

He's probably should start at the slide switch to check for power. If none, start at the battery and work toward the slide, checking for good connections. Maybe he disconnected the battery before changing out the radio?

If battery is good, check the automotive type breaker that is probably mounted under the trailer near the battery. Use a volt meter to see if tripped. If you got the covered underbelly there is probably a piece of it that has been cut out and then the hole re-covered with a plate or other material. The breaker should be an auto-reset, but may be a manual re-set. If manual re-set and tripped, there will be a tiny button, probably on the side, that will be poking out. If so, push it in.

I can't help but think that since he was working on the radio's 12V system he either tripped a breaker or didn't reconnect something.

I think that trailer comes with a 12V refrigerator. If so, the refrigerator and furnace both in use will drain your battery pretty quick if not hooked to shore power.

I'd also review the procedure to put your slide in without power (owner's manual) in case he doesn't fix it by Thursday evening.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 06:55 AM   #12

Plumbing connections loosen up as the trailer bounces down the road. One of the things that needs to be done on a regular basis is to check that connections on water lines and drains are tight.
Your slide problem is most likely a power issue, which others have covered. All I will add is to be sure to disconnect your battery when not using your trailer. Otherwise things such as clocks, smoke detectors, etc will slowly drain and kill your battery.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
free, jayco, slide