Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2016, 05:27 PM   #1

Help: Running lights won't work during Camera install

I was in the middle of installing a backup camera and was going to connect to the rear running light. Before I cut the wires to splice in the camera, I tested the running lights and they worked fine. After I spliced it in, there was no running lights. I reconnected the original wires without the camera to see if it made a difference and unfortunately it didn't. I checked the fuse box of the trailer and there was no fuse that said "lights" but all the fuses seem fine anyways. I have a Travelaire Rustler towed by a 2015 F150. When the trailer cable is connected, the truck recognizes the trailer on the dash and the trailer brake adjustments work. But there just isn't any power to the running lights.

Can anyone help me please? I have only a few more days before I take it on a long road trip so I need all the help I can get.

Thanks!
Victoreric is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2016, 05:38 PM   #2

Check for a blown fuse or tripped breaker on your F150. I believe the truck provides the power to the trailer running lights.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbill View Post
Check for a blown fuse or tripped breaker on your F150. I believe the truck provides the power to the trailer running lights.
The turn signals work on the trailer though but not the running lights. Does that matter?
Old 06-05-2016, 05:48 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoreric View Post
The turn signals work on the trailer though but not the running lights. Does that matter?
Different fuse. If you are not able to try find the fuse and have friend with a truck connect the camper to your friends truck and see if the lights work. I learnt the hard way spent 3 hours troubleshooting and issue on a trailer only to find out it worked fine connected to another track. It issue ended up being the circuit board on the TV.
Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:20 PM   #5

I checked every fuse that seemed logical and they are all in tact. I will have to find someone else with a truck with trailer control. Any other ideas?
Old 06-05-2016, 06:25 PM   #6

I got it to work again in a very weird way. When I opened the passenger door it seems to turn back on for while. Then it would die. I open the passenger car door again and it's fine. I can't explain it.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:10 PM   #7
ODH

Do you have the TV parking lights or headlights on? They need to be on for the running lights on the trailer to work. On my TV the running lights will come on when the door is opened and stay on for a short period.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:38 PM   #8

Also remember to start the TV. Running lights come on in some vehicles only when engine is running and only for a limited time when parked. Worth a shot.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:43 AM   #9

I believe in a Ford, as mentioned, when a door is opened, the running lights will come on for a short period--this would also activate the trailer running lights for the same period. I use this method to check that the harness is connected correctly each time I hook up.
Have you tried turning ON the TV headlights to see if you have power?
Trailer running lights are never 'on' unless the TV lights are on. FYI, the brake lights are also the turn signals, and on most Fords, there are 2 fuse boxes--under the dash and under the hood--and the trailer fuses are under the hood.
Elec probs are irritating...
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
I believe in a Ford, as mentioned, when a door is opened, the running lights will come on for a short period--this would also activate the trailer running lights for the same period. I use this method to check that the harness is connected correctly each time I hook up.
Have you tried turning ON the TV headlights to see if you have power?
Trailer running lights are never 'on' unless the TV lights are on. FYI, the brake lights are also the turn signals, and on most Fords, there are 2 fuse boxes--under the dash and under the hood--and the trailer fuses are under the hood.
Elec probs are irritating...
Joe
Yes, this must be the issue. I switched the headlights from auto to always on and it worked.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Tags
camera, install, light, lights