Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2023, 02:43 PM   #1

Henry 887 Roof Sealant how far over edge

After much research, I have decided to coat my Toy Hauler roof with Henry 887 Tropi cool.

I was wondering how far over the side should I paint it, approaching the rain gutter on the side. I don't know if I should go all the way down to just above where the water collects or some where above. I have attached some pictures. One has numbers at different points.

I was doing great until a hail storm. It is a 2010 FindFinder 27Xtra Toy Hauler. The rear of the roof is having issues also. My hope is to use this silicone coating to cover a multitude of issues or future issues. It will cover and seal all of the various sealants. In the back, I was going to go well into the black steel cross member. In the front, well onto the fiberglass front.

Thanks for any and all thoughts!

Attachment 394264
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230601_150505_resized w numbers.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	394265   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230601_150616_resized.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	394266  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230601_150647_resized.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	357.4 KB
ID:	394267   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230601_150622_resized.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	394268  

JoeFL77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2023, 09:41 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I rolled out a new roof last summer but using Dicor.

This is the time that you take off your old sealant around every seam and every hole cut in the roof. Once you have use regular alcohol to clean the area to prep for a new sealant.

I used Dicor Self Leveling Sealant for the roof and Dicor Non Sag sealant for any vertical area.

After that has cured (I waited two weeks), I cleaned the roof well using the Dicor Cleaner Activator. You need this as it opens the pores of the old roofing material so that your new material will adhere to the old and make a permanent bond.

Even if you use any roofing material, now is the best time- before you do- to make sure that every seam/hole has new sealant.

As for your numbers, for roofing material, I would go to number 4. It would be hard to do in the other area's. If they need sealing, use the Dicor Non Sag sealant.

It took me two, six hour days to completely remove the old sealant (I only used a plastic scraper to not damage the roofing material).

Then an hour to reseal everything.

Cleaning and rolling out (several coats) of new roofing material was in one 10 hour day (taking a break to wait for each to dry before the next coat). You want to do this on a warm day so that each coat dries quickly.

After I rolled on my new roof, my MH temperature went down by 10 degrees! I was VERY happily surprised at such a significant pay-off.
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 05:59 AM   #3

Thanks!

Yes, sealing down to number four sounds good.

I am still leaning towards the Henry silicone base. The central Florida sun takes a big toll on everything, Hrere I think silicone would hold up longer in the year round Florida sun,
Old 06-09-2023, 06:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFL77 View Post
Thanks!

Yes, sealing down to number four sounds good.

I am still leaning towards the Henry silicone base. The central Florida sun takes a big toll on everything, Hrere I think silicone would hold up longer in the year round Florida sun,
Dicor is not silicone... it is what is put on by the factory when new...
98fleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 06:37 AM   #5

Thnaks.

Yes, I have been using dicor on the roof.

My roof was doing fine until a recent hail storm. It did tens of thousands of damage to my house. It did damage to my RV roof.

My RV is 12 years old. It was worth about maybe 10k or less. I should put new roof on it. But to spend 4-6K on it does not seem wise. My insurance is giving me nothing for the damage to the roof itself. The hail punched holes in the AC, fridge, and bathroom vent covers. The AC was less than 2 years old so being old and brittle was not a factor for it. I would put a new roof on myself but I need my knee replaced and that will not happen until the late fall. So just coating the whole thing seems to be the best solution to give me the best chance to avaid a total loss. My insurance was Progressive, more about that some other time

I hope to use the Henry 885 on the seams and other irrregularities. Then cover the whole thing with 2 coats with Henry 887 tropicool.

Thanks again for all the info!

Dicor or silicone? I have talked to local folks here and some have used the Henry with great success. It may be a local thing with the sun. If I had a carport to keep it out of the constant sun, I might not do the silicone. I talked to Henry on the phone, and they said you can put the Henry on top of itself if you need to do more later so that removes the biggest objection to silicone I had.
Old 06-09-2023, 07:12 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFL77 View Post
My roof was doing fine until a recent hail storm. It did tens of thousands of damage to my house. It did damage to my RV roof.....

I am SO sorry, what a double blow! I worry every time we have hail storms. They sure can wreak havoc.
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 07:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98fleetwood View Post
Dicor is not silicone... it is what is put on by the factory when new...
Unless you have a Winnebago. Or at least a Winnebago motorized. They use their own silicon roof sealant.

Rockwood/Flagstaff also uses something different but the name eludes me at the moment. Alpha something or another I think.

Currently without travel trailer
Sbad0cko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, seal, sealant