Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2021, 12:37 PM   #1

Hensley Arrow Hitch

Just put one of these on my rig. Took it out and drove it purposefully in a 20 to 35 mile an hour side wind just to see how it worked. Now Iíve pulled trailers for a lot of years so Iíve had my hands full more than once including when I just had a slide in pick up Camper on!

That said, I was (not) blown away. I could feel the wind but I got no sway very impressed but then it should work for the money. Anybody else have one of these with a lot more miles on it than I do? Something I should look out for? Thanks for the info and advance
rushmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2021, 07:03 PM   #2

i have had mine about 2 or 3 years now. i like mine real well. A year and half back I pulled my camper from Ohio to Tennessee. I aired my tires up to the max pressure on the side wall of my tow vehicle and it pulled great. I have no regrets about buying a hensley.
Old 01-02-2022, 07:47 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushmc View Post
Just put one of these on my rig. Took it out and drove it purposefully in a 20 to 35 mile an hour side wind just to see how it worked. Now Iíve pulled trailers for a lot of years so Iíve had my hands full more than once including when I just had a slide in pick up Camper on!

That said, I was (not) blown away. I could feel the wind but I got no sway very impressed but then it should work for the money. Anybody else have one of these with a lot more miles on it than I do? Something I should look out for? Thanks for the info and advance

I have had our Hensley on two TTs now. First was an Onyx 25RB moved it to our Denali 289RK five years ago. Have pulled the trailers over 50,000 miles with the Hensley. I wonít pull a travel trailer without a Hensley.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 05:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricejh View Post
I have had our Hensley on two TTs now. First was an Onyx 25RB moved it to our Denali 289RK five years ago. Have pulled the trailers over 50,000 miles with the Hensley. I wonít pull a travel trailer without a Hensley.
Any tricks learned along the journey?
rushmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 01:47 PM   #5

I think the Hensley/Propride hitches are top drawer......only downsides I can see are weight, cost and a bit more setup time. Well worth it for those that need one.

Dave
Old 01-03-2022, 03:49 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
A couple of tricks.

Loosen the drawbars fully. Run them down to fully loose.

Use a dry lube on the receiver so that the stinger will slide in and out easier. I use the same silicon lube that I use on my slides.

I painted the top of the stinger and the top of the receiver. This helps me see to back the stinger into the hitch.

A backup camera on your truck really helps.

The ďsecretĒ is to make sure that the stinger aligns straight back with the receiver on the hitch. The hitch can be twisted left or right, you just have to make sure that the stinger lines up with it when you back up.

I usually back up to just outside the hitch, plug in the umbilical, then hold the trailer brakes as I finish backing into the hitch. Then I set the parking brake on the truck and go back to set the over enter latches.

Hope this helps. It gets easier with time and practice.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 07:38 PM   #7

We have had our Hensley for 3 years. We like going out West (live in Michigan) but almost without fail you will run into very strong winds that made for tough driving. We have 30,000 miles on ours and still love it. I really like that driving is the same no matter what the wind is doing. It just makes for a much nicer drive. I bought the Ultimate Tire Chocks from Hensley too and I leave them chocked to hold the trailer while I back into the hitch.
Camper-Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:42 AM   #8

Marty

I have a 2021 24 ft travel trailer towed with a 2010 Yukon. Had a lot of white knuckle moments towing until I got the hensley arrow hitch, made a world of difference. I highly recommend the hensley arrow. The downside would be the cost and a little learning curve hooking up. The cost was well worth the improved towing results. Highly recommend it.
Martyn49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:54 AM   #9

The “secret” is to make sure that the stinger aligns straight back with the receiver on the hitch. The hitch can be twisted left or right, you just have to make sure that the stinger lines up with it when you back up.

Had one some time back. Worked great for a 30' Sunnybrook on an Expedition. The above is good advice, hitching up could be time-consuming
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:29 AM   #10

Im in the same boat as you. Just installed an arrow on our 33ft tt. Maiden voyage for the hitch
Will be next week . Not far but but im excited to
Try it. We didnt have any issues with our equaluzer
Hitch..no sway even in wind . It will be interesting
to see any difference. They are expensive. About
5x the equalizer. I bought the reconditioned one.
But still expensive.
Ill mirror whats already been said here.
Hitching up is different than a drop on the ball
Type hitch. It takes practice. The hitch has to be
On the same plane as the stinger yaw or pitch
Is what your looking at not just ligned up with the hole.
The manual says back it up to about 18 inches and
Look at the stinger angle to the hitch angle.
Taking the stinger out and puting it in the hitch
Will teach you what to look for as far as angle is concerned. I thought the manual was well written.
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch