Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #1

Hershey or Timonium RV show

My wife and I are planning to head up to the Timonium RV show next week with an eye towards buying a TT. Would it be worth the extra 1.5 hour drive to head up to the Hershey show, since they're the same weekend? Thanks.
ucfengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The Hershey show is much, much larger than Timonium.

Hershey, by all means.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #3

I have heard the Hershey show is the 3rd largest in the country. That Tampa is 2nd largerest. Don't know who has 'the largest' show in the country but I have been to the Hershey show 3 times and the Tampa show twice.

I can tell you the Hershey show is large enough. If you can narrow your search to just TT's that is a good start. You can probably spend two full days there.

I would drive the extra 1.5 hrs. Depending on your direction it is a pretty drive thru the Pa. mountains and valleys.

I have owned two TT's. I liked them both.

What kind do you think you want? Pop-up, Tear-Drop, Hybird, Hardshell? And what size and what do you have to pull it?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
What kind do you think you want? Pop-up, Tear-Drop, Hybird, Hardshell? And what size and what do you have to pull it?
We're looking for a hardshell that can sleep 6 comfortably, maybe a couple more in a pinch. Our TV is a Tundra with the tow package. I'm looking towards the composite trailers (Evergreen, Lance, Coachmen) to keep the tow weight within spec, but haven't ruled others out.
ucfengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #5

The Hershey show doesn't allow Maryland dealers, so you might want to do both. That way you might get the best deal.
Before you go, do your homework and narrow your choices to as low a number as possible. If you spend the time to look at everything you will never accomplish your goal. Visit the manufactures websites and write down only those units that meet your specifications.
You should get a good idea of the prices that you might pay at your local dealer. Many times there are great deals at the shows, but not in every case. Games are played with the retail values, so do the homework first.
Don't just look at the pretty features, get down and compare axle sizes, frame strength and wheel sizes. See where they cut corners to reduce costs. Read on this forum and others about problems with the trailers you might be interested in.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #6

I will echo what lynnmor said. Buying a TT at an RV show is not necessarily the best deal. A lot of these dealers play games. I have seen comments from others where the price at the dealer the week before the show was lower than the show price. Do your homework before you go and have a target price in mind.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
We did better at the Hershey show.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #8

I was going to go to the Hershey show to buy a new TT, and ended up finding a great deal locally on a 2013 new left over model. The price was quite attractive and the dealer was local. So i bought it. I may go to the Hershey show anyway, but I am now traveling out for work on the 12th, so the only day I can go is the 11th, which is the first day iirc.

Good luck in your search. I found all the RV shopping and research kind of fun.
BradWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
The MD show is ok. With that said the Hershey show is so much bigger. More RVs vendors etc.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc8375 View Post
We did better at the Hershey show.
I've been to both shows, Md and Hershey. Hershey has more RV's to choose from. Go and see what you like, write it down, go home and see if you can get a better deal. The Md show is high priced... Better off dealing with a Camping World dealer than independent dealer....
dvw20748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfengr View Post
My wife and I are planning to head up to the Timonium RV show next week with an eye towards buying a TT. Would it be worth the extra 1.5 hour drive to head up to the Hershey show, since they're the same weekend? Thanks.
I ended up going to both shows, and I believe the prices were better at Timonium.
trhendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by trhendr View Post
I ended up going to both shows, and I believe the prices were better at Timonium.
Timonium has two shows, the one in the fall is where they try to unload last years models.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
Timonium has two shows, the one in the fall is where they try to unload last years models.
That may be true, however we were concentrating on the newest models and did not see that at all. We were looking at 2014 Class A motorhomes at Hershey and Timonium.

Perhaps other dealers were trying to get rid of 2013 stock, but we didn't see it.

And same-item to same-item comparisons were less expensive at Timonium for what we were looking at.

Hershey did have the newest FORZA (Diesel pusher) from Winnabago, which Timonium did not have.
trhendr is offline   Reply With Quote