Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2022, 12:58 PM   #1

Hitch and bar holder for trucks

I have created a WDH holder that fits behind the rear wheel wells in most full size trucks. Would like to know if anyone would like the plans for building one of these. I have included a picture of what it look like mounted in my truck.

I will create a PDF drawing showing the position of each part and the material each part is made of. The only part I bought was the hitch tubing and I got that from Summit Racing but they could be gotten from Amazon and other places.

The main plate is 1/4 X8X18. The two bar ends are 1-1/2 inch angle iron that are approx 5-3/4 long that are cut at a angle. The strap is 1/2 inch flat stock.

The plate holding the bars is 2 X 7 inches with the 1/2 inch flat stock welded on at the ends to hold the bars. There are some triangle pieces of the 2 inch plate used to support the hitch tubing front and back.

Let me know if you are interested and I will create a drawing and send you a copy. You will need to have access to a welder to make this work but is really easy to assemble.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch_mount_1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	370998  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2022, 03:03 PM   #2

Nice to have them shin knockers out of the way when not being used

Looks good!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 03:06 PM   #3

So I took another picture of the back side of the holder. This will explain the 2X7 flat bar and show the 1/2 inch flat plates on the ends of the 2x7 bar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch_holder_2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	345.4 KB
ID:	371005  
Old 07-14-2022, 05:05 PM   #4

Great work! Patent that or at least copyright the plans. Good luck to you. The hitch tubing is a stock item at Tractor Supply stores also.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 09:20 PM   #5

I just leave mine in the receiver, locked in. Anything wrong with that ?
Old 07-16-2022, 08:04 AM   #6

Nothing wrong with leaving it at all. If we are going exploring I will lock mine into the receiver on the trailer. Otherwise, I leave it in with a cover over the ball. As OB said, shins don't like hitches.
Old 07-16-2022, 08:20 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
When we had a travel trailer and were traveling, I left the hitch locked to the truck's receiver. I put a bright orange tennis ball over the ball. I knew it was there and no one else needed to be messing around my truck.

I would not buy this device.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 08:22 AM   #8

While not illegal, but if someone gets injured by walking into the hitch, you may be responsible for creating an unsafe situation. Lawyers love these kind of cases.
Personally, I like my hitch sticking out, it stops tailgating and people bumping into the rear of your vehicle in a parking lot. I don't take mine off after I unhitch at a campground. Only when I get home.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 09:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwinger View Post
While not illegal, but if someone gets injured by walking into the hitch, you may be responsible for creating an unsafe situation. Lawyers love these kind of cases.
Personally, I like my hitch sticking out, it stops tailgating and people bumping into the rear of your vehicle in a parking lot. I don't take mine off after I unhitch at a campground. Only when I get home.
That is very dependent on what state you are in. Some states believe you are not capable of thought and some believe you are responsible to make sure you do not walk into things.
Old 07-18-2022, 05:02 PM   #10

Generally I leave mine in the truck receiver when traveling. One day I came out from wal-mart and found the hitch laying on the pavement by my driver door. Obviously someone didn't like it there. I promptly went back in and bought a locking pin.
I'm of the opinion that people need to be responsible for their own self and watch where they are going. I do also try to park in a manner to minimize the chance of people walking into it whenever possible. It's difficult to believe that some states would hold me responsible for someone injuring themselves but I guess that is the world we live in now. I'll take my chances.
RHD51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 05:12 PM   #11

In some states it is illegal to leave on when not used. It defeats the bumper on the other car when you are rear ended. If someone gets hurt even though they hit you you are responsible. That's why there removable.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 06:02 PM   #12

Depends on where I am. Right now I am in a big crowded city and I need all the room I can get when looking for a parking place so I take it out and put it in the bed of the truck as soon as I unhook. Out in a more remote area I leave it in unless I plan to stay more that a week or so. Then out it comes, I know itís there but I have banged my shin more than a few times.
Old 07-18-2022, 06:13 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyone View Post
In some states it is illegal to leave on when not used. It defeats the bumper on the other car when you are rear ended. If someone gets hurt even though they hit you you are responsible. That's why there removable.

What states make it illegal to leave a drawbar in the receiver when not towing? Following the same logic are bike racks and hitch baskets also illegal in those states? Sometimes leave the bike rack on, even when not loaded with bikes. I generally leave the tow bar on the back of the MH after unhooking at a campground, would I be in violation of a state law to drive it this way? When I had the TT, I never took the W/D drawbar off the back of the f350. Never got stopped for it. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2022, 07:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
When we had a travel trailer and were traveling, I left the hitch locked to the truck's receiver. I put a bright orange tennis ball over the ball. I knew it was there and no one else needed to be messing around my truck.

I would not buy this device.

Ken
It seems you did not read the post. The gentleman is offering free plans if you want to build one. Just because the item would not work for you there is no reason to stifle creativity. If we all thought like you there would be nothing new and you would still be using tubes in your radio. Or maybe the radio would have never been invented.
Just saying.

Tags
hitch