Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2020, 09:12 AM   #1

Hitch Lock for TT

What do you all use to lock your travel trailer while in storage? Amazon seems to have two classes of hitch lock, the $50 and below which appear to be useless, and the $200+ locks.

As a side note, check our this video. The "Lockpicking Lawyer" is hilarious

https://youtu.be/g0iop_LDanE
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2020, 09:34 AM   #2

I bought this set since everything is keyed alike. Sure one or more may be easy to defeat, but having more than one should be a good deterent.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:18 AM   #3

Hitch Lock for TT

Have one from proven industries. Provenlocks.com
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:57 AM   #4

I use and ordinary keyed padlock. Mine has a long hardened shackle. Of course there are several established ways to defeat such a lock, but then there are ways to defeat any lock.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:00 AM   #5

BTW, although I really just think you need a deterrent, I've seen some mention wheel locks--like those tow vehicle alternatives for illegally parked vehicles. That would provide additional protection if you think you need it. I think they make locking wheel cogs, which would also work, although you could probably easily defeat those.
Old 10-12-2020, 04:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
BTW, although I really just think you need a deterrent, I've seen some mention wheel locks--like those tow vehicle alternatives for illegally parked vehicles. That would provide additional protection if you think you need it. I think they make locking wheel cogs, which would also work, although you could probably easily defeat those.
Just as easy to use a hardened steel chain and padlock, wrap the chain around the frame and thru one or two rims and lock it.

The problem with the type of trailer hitch lock OP posted, they are made with cheap cast pot metal that is very brittle, one good wack with a hammer and it shatters.

The more expensive hitch locks are made with thick pressed maluable steel parts that aren't brittle and will take a beating.

All locks fail in the presence of a torch or big enough pry bar... it all about how much deterrence you want to pay for.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 05:52 AM   #7

This guy is the best bang for the buck without spending big $$$

Master Lock 377KA Trailer Hitch... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HATY36...p_mob_ap_share
vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:06 AM   #8

Thanks, it was worth looking at the link just to read the reviews. I get the impression locks are just for show. I'm thinking of going with a chain on the wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom_vroom View Post
This guy is the best bang for the buck without spending big $$$

Master Lock 377KA Trailer Hitch... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HATY36...p_mob_ap_share
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Have one from proven industries. Provenlocks.com

Check this video out.

Unfortunately this tool will defeat any lock or chain.

Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:45 PM   #10

If you use a chain make sure it is case hardened as well as the lock. Hardened steel takes forever to grind and would probably kill any cordless grinders battery in a jiffy.
jnslprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:05 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
You can lock that tongue however you want, all I have to do is use the chains if I want to steal it bad enough.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
You can lock that tongue however you want, all I have to do is use the chains if I want to steal it bad enough.
The idea is deterrent. Sure they could use a large helicopter to lift it away, surrounded by a team of mercenaries carrying automatic weapons and grenade launchers. The point isn't to take all the steps necessary to prevent that. The point is to make it difficult rather than easy so that they'll maybe steal something else.
Old 10-14-2020, 01:42 PM   #13

The best plan is to remove the target off of your property and have it transferred to someone else!
Old 10-15-2020, 06:55 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
The idea is deterrent. Sure they could use a large helicopter to lift it away, surrounded by a team of mercenaries carrying automatic weapons and grenade launchers. The point isn't to take all the steps necessary to prevent that. The point is to make it difficult rather than easy so that they'll maybe steal something else.
Your scenarios are not realistic. Mine is. I had a trailer stolen that very way.

Tags
hitch