Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2019, 07:55 PM   #1

Hitch Lock Random Thoughts

On our most recent trip I had 2 separate hitch locks malfunction. Each one was somewhere between $25-$40. One wouldn't lock, so I tossed it, and the one I put on in its stead wouldn't unlock when I got home. I went to Home Depot, bought a 2.5" piece of steel pipe in the plumbing department, and broke the 2nd malfunctioning lock off in about 4 seconds.

Here's the question I'm wrestling with:

Is it better to buy yet another cheap lock and carry the pipe around to break it off when it eventually seizes up, or keep this more sturdy lock I purchased?

https://www.amazon.com/AMPLOCK-U-HLP.../dp/B00NUNFU2M

The AMPLOCK is undeniably more robust and heavy duty than the typical locks one buys. It has a safety pin, secure keys, and is thick and heavy. It comes with maintenance instructions (lubricate with a non-silicone lubricant at change of seasons).

My only worry with it is I will not be able to break it off should it, too, malfunction. I realize it's ironic that the thing that makes it so secure is what has me second guessing my purchase.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2019, 09:45 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You've had a run of bad luck...two bad in a row.

$99 for a lock is a bit much.

My Walmart one has held up for years.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:54 PM   #3

I use and only use standard 5/8" receiver pin with clip ($5)

Never needs a key or anything else to remove/install

And when NOT towing shank is pulled off and stowed away (hate shin knockers)

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:22 PM   #4

I use a C.T.Johnson RH3 Dead Bolt Hitch Lock from Amazon for about $20.

The thing with locks is rust or contamination. If you operate in a clean environment most are ok. Behind a DP on dirt is another thing altogether. I like these for two reasons.

First, the head to shaft is O-ring sealed to keep the lock mechanism clean, plus a rubber cap covers the key slot. I’ve used this type for many years in filthy environments with zero locks seized.

Second, the head fastens to the shaft by screwing on using the key to turn an internal bolt. It’s a lot more robust than those designs that just have a pawl engaging a slot in the shaft. If it jammed you might need a grinder or a torch. But I’ve never had one give me any problems.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:23 AM   #5

I also had a lock seize in the pin lock. I had to run and buy a small hack saw and cut the pin.

I did purchase a new one and don't use it unless the weight distribution hitch is in installed.

I keep that saw in the trailer, just in case

It demonstrated how secure they really are.
Bulletstoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:48 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I use something like this. Deadbolt and coupler locks are keyed the same, I always use a little never-seize to ensure no seizing in the pin. Have been using for 10 years, no issue's. I usually leave my hitch on, keeps people from tail gaiting, so it's showing some rust but still functions like new.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Locks/DeadBolt/7685.html
Old 08-08-2019, 11:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulletstoppe View Post
I also had a lock seize in the pin lock. I had to run and buy a small hack saw and cut the pin.

I did purchase a new one and don't use it unless the weight distribution hitch is in installed.

I keep that saw in the trailer, just in case

It demonstrated how secure they really are.
You definitely don't need a saw. I spent over an hour trying to drill the lock off. Watched the video below, went to Home Depot to get a piece of pipe, and had the lock off in their parking lot in under 5 seconds. Way easier than sawing.

Good video to watch for anyone who leaves their expensive hitch on full time.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:39 PM   #8

Goleafs - you have a snorkel on your truck yet? That is more important than a hitch lock.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:49 PM   #9

A man’s got to have priorities!
Old 08-10-2019, 09:27 PM   #10

Hitch locks are mostly to prevent random acts of vandalism, and quick opportunity theft. The are not designed to prevent a determined criminal from stealing something.

There are many malicious people out there, they will pull the hitch pins and such from your hitch, pull your emergency brake switch, etc, just out of mean-ness and not care that it could cause a serious accident or death. I use a Bolt brand pin and lock for the receiver and a Bolt padlock for the trailer, keeps people from doing something while I am not looking. I like the Bolt because it is one time, self keying, to your tow vehicle key, so no extra keys to carry.

Charles
Old 08-10-2019, 10:09 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a lock I could not get open. Had a heck of a time getting it off. No more locks for me.

I do have Roadmaster de-rattlers, so would keep somebody from just slipping it out and walking away. They would at least need to deal with loosening the de-rattlers.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:37 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I use the Bolt system, the hitch pin and the receiver lock both use my ford ignition key, I also have a couple padlocks. I know locks keep honest people honest, but I figure if it keeps a 12 year old from randomly pulling out a hitch pin or receiver pin, it was worth it.
Around here, people who park in isolated game department boat ramps and river access areas have taken to non locking gas caps. If gas cap doesn't lock, the crack heads will steal gas, but usually leave enough to limp to a gas station. If you have a locking gas cap, they'll punch a hole in the gas tank with a screw driver, no gas left and need a new tank......
Old 08-15-2019, 08:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Wilf View Post
I use something like this. Deadbolt and coupler locks are keyed the same, I always use a little never-seize to ensure no seizing in the pin. Have been using for 10 years, no issue's. I usually leave my hitch on, keeps people from tail gaiting, so it's showing some rust but still functions like new.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Locks/DeadBolt/7685.html
Thats the exact one I use. Good to see it lasts. Just started using mine this summer.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:33 AM   #14

I guess the problem is that I kept the lock on the receiver regardless of having the hitch in or not. Lots of dirt and moisture must have gotten in there over time to have 2 separate locks seize up.

Still have the AmpLock in the truck with the Amazon return code but have been avoiding going to Kohl's to use their Amazon Drop-Off because I have not made up my mind...definitely overthinking it.

I would love to just use a pin with clip, like Old-Biscuit (and I have about 3 of them in my toolbox), but I do worry about people messing with the pin when we're parked and away from the rig.