Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2015, 03:54 PM   #1

Hitch question

Hitches? I am not questioning Hensley arrow or pro pride. My question is on friction hitches, I have a 10,000 lb hitch from Harbor fright with weight distribution bars, I also have a sway control on both sides. I do feel a draw if a Simi comes along side other than that it works well. I added a the wedge no rattle hitch stabilizer Thinking it would help as Simi's passed, the ride was so uncomfortable I removed it. Now to my question I just can't understand any difference in a friction hitch being it a equal-i-zer or Reese dual cam. they all work on friction and all have different points for friction but I just don't see any advantage of one to another. can some please explain in a understandable way.
gap23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2015, 06:34 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The Equal-I-Zer is noisy, the Reese-Strait Line isn't. Different designs, similar result.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:06 PM   #3

Question is would there be less pull from simi's with equil-izer or dual cam than i have now with friction bars i have now ?
gap23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:09 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There are too many variables in a tractor-trailer passing you while pulling your trailer to be able to answer that question reliably. The only way to really find out is to try it. I'm sorry that likely isn't the answer you're looking for.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:13 AM   #5

Variables not discussed so far are: 1) size and suspension of the tow vehicle 2) if your WD is set up properly. An Equalizer setup is Stone Age engineering, but effective. Using plastic pads on brackets and CLEANING the bars and brackets really cut down any noise issue. I'm no engineer, but perhaps having friction surfaces on both sides helps sway. Going back to #1, many 1/2 tons have a short wheelbase and soft suspension. Sometimes that is hard to get around. Doing your WD setup by the instructions is very important. Just sayin'
Old 08-10-2015, 11:01 AM   #6

The non-friction sway prevention systems (Equal-I-Zer, Reese-Strait Line, Blue Ox) prevent sway. Friction Sway systems only attempt to control it once it begins.

I noticed a big difference in my comfort towing while being passed by semi trucks or in windy conditions when I went from a friction control system to the Blue Ox. I would never go back. I was, in fact, considering a ProPride, but opted to try the Blue ox first. i'm very satisfied.

Wierd, my sig went away....

I'm towing a Coachmen Freedom Express 292 BHDS (6104 dry, 7740 GVWR), 33 ft bumper to bumper) with a 2015 RAM 1500 5.7L gas Hemi, 8 speed transmission, Lone Star trim.
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:37 PM   #7

I have a Fastway e2 round bar weight distributing hitch on a setup that many would say is at or beyond "safe/proper" limits, and I haven't had an issue. Just got back yesterday from a 2600 mile trip around Washington state that spent a lot of time on I-90, I-82, I-5, and I-405, and never had a semi pass me that gave me any wiggles, shakes, or sways. My back end of the TV drops about an inch and a half when loaded down, and I am considering adjusting the brackets one more hole to even it up a bit, but don't think that much sag is excessive, it looks pretty level when eyeballing it at a distance, and most importantly, it has been towing very well. I don't go nuts driving, and keep it around 63 mph on 70 limit freeways (don't use cruise control, seems to want to rev higher and I want to milk the mileage for all it's worth), and keep it at the limit in the city areas where the limit drops to 60. I'm pretty pleased and have so sway.
ampmtnbkr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:55 PM   #8

Been enjoying this thread, i also, am considering a new hitch. Anyone had any experience with the CURT 17500 TruTrack Trunnion Bar Weight Distribution Hitch with Active Sway Control, find the ball bearing system in the head interesting, in addition to the Equalizer style system . CURT Manufacturing - CURT TruTrack Trunnion Bar Weight Distribution System #17500
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap23 View Post
Hitches? I am not questioning Hensley arrow or pro pride. My question is on friction hitches, I have a 10,000 lb hitch from Harbor fright with weight distribution bars, I also have a sway control on both sides. I do feel a draw if a Simi comes along side other than that it works well. I added a the wedge no rattle hitch stabilizer Thinking it would help as Simi's passed, the ride was so uncomfortable I removed it. Now to my question I just can't understand any difference in a friction hitch being it a equal-i-zer or Reese dual cam. they all work on friction and all have different points for friction but I just don't see any advantage of one to another. can some please explain in a understandable way.
The real advantage of Fastway E2, Equalizer E4, Reese, and Blueox is that you can make tight turns and backup without removing your friction sway bars you currently are using. The trunion and spring bars product downward pressure on the L brackets that are attached to the trailers A frame. Once dialed in with the appropriate amount of friction, they help prevent and control sway by rubbing the L brackets, this causing friction. The whole point is to prevent the side to side pivot point created by a bumper pull trailer while towing. You will still get away during high winds and when a big enough truck goes by. That sway might be reduced a little or a lot depending on the final setup and how well it is dialed in. Its almost impossible to completely eliminate all types of sway unless you go with a hitch that eliminates the pivot point.
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote