Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2022, 10:14 AM   #1

Hitch rack for ebikes

Our camper is a Passport 199ML. We have 2 ebikes that weigh 50 lbs each. I have found a Curt 2" receiver hitch that I can mount to the frame of the camper and then use a bike rack mounted on the hitch. The hitch is rated for 350 lbs of tongue weight so plenty of capacity for the bikes and rack. A few questions: Will there be too much bounce on the back of camper to be safe? Has anyone else tried this successfully? Any recommendations for a good bike rack?
Benchmark 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2022, 11:10 AM   #2

Even with a frame mounted hitch, there will be a lot of bouncing around. If your trailer has a rear bumper, you can add a couple of ratcheting nylon straps secured to the frame on each side immediately forward of the bumper, and attach the other ends near the top of the mast of the bike hitch. After tightening the ratchets on the straps, this prevents the hitch from bouncing around. You will also need to cover the ebikes with a cover to protect them from the weather.
dhughes126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 01:53 PM   #3

Once you put anything on the rear of a TT, ratings go out the window.

We have two E-Bikes that weigh 68lbs each, and they both go in the truck bed.

The only other place that would be an option for me, would be a hitch mounted bike rack on the front of the truck.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 02:06 PM   #4

After seeing the weight of an E-Bike, as compared to a conventional bike, and looking at how a bike rack in the receiver of my truck with conventional bikes bounces, the recently purchased e-bike will go in the bed of my truck.

Hanging 100 plus pounds of bike with a 20-30 pound bike rack of the rear bumper of a TT probably reduces your tongue weight by at least 75-100 pounds. If you are running a tongue weight at 10% and 800 pounds, and now you drop it to 725 pounds, you just went to 9% tongue weight.

Maybe there are times that the counterweight off the back is helpful, suspect most times it is not. Of course, if your tongue weight has already pushed you to payload limits, the added weight in the bed is a bad idea and the counterweight of the bike rack may be a great idea.

I considered a bike rack over the tongue jack, but once I discovered the weight of e-bikes, and with a consideration it might be 2 e-bikes one day, I decided that was not a wise idea.

Most of the e-bikes I was looking at pushed the 60 pound envelope to boot. With 2 of those at 120 pounds and a bike rack of 20-30 pounds, adding 150 pounds to the tongue weight didn't seem wise either.
Old 02-03-2022, 02:12 PM   #5
PB2

Last summer we bought a Kuat Transfer (https://www.kuat.com/product/transfer-v2/) which is the only rack they certify for RV use. We really like it, very stout, little bounce, well made rack with our two 60 lb ebikes on it.

I went to an outdoor store to buy it and they sold a lot of different racks. The sales guy said it's important to buy an RV rated rack because if you ever have a claim and it's not RV rated, you'll lose... The Kuat was the only one they carried that was RV rated.
Old 02-04-2022, 09:15 AM   #6

After a lot of research, I bought the Thule EasyFold XT 2 Hitch Bike Rack and feel it's a bit expensive, but high quality and relatively easy to use. It holds 2 60-pound e-bikes with ease.

My extra 'pro tip' would be to buy the additional Thule EasyFold XT Long Loading Ramp Silver 53", which makes loading/unloading the bikes easier. It comes with a shorter ramp which is quite steep. Good luck!
Old 02-04-2022, 10:02 AM   #7

If your receiver is welded on like this then putting them on the rear of the trailer is fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	298.6 KB
ID:	355511  
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 11:04 AM   #8

this is what we did we have two of these and they fit perfectly in my short bed crew cab gmc. it holds the bikes firmly with quite alot of room for other things. its made from 1" PVC
Jay D.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7556[1].jpg
Views:	57
Size:	373.1 KB
ID:	355525  
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 06:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
this is what we did we have two of these and they fit perfectly in my short bed crew cab gmc. it holds the bikes firmly with quite alot of room for other things. its made from 1" PVC

Jay D.
How do you lift a 60+ pound bike into the back of a pick-up truck
bro61021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 07:12 PM   #10

Hitch rack for ebikes

We remove the front tire, and battery, and it’s pretty simple to load. This is on a Rad Rover 6.

Truck is a 5’7” bed so the front tire has to come off to fit.

We use a mount that sits on the truck bed floor, bolted on a 2X6.
Old 02-17-2022, 08:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
We remove the front tire, and battery, and it’s pretty simple to load. This is on a Rad Rover 6.

Truck is a 5’7” bed so the front tire has to come off to fit.

We use a mount that sits on the truck bed floor, bolted on a 2X6.
Are your front axles through bolt or quick release?
I've had quick release on my last two non E bikes but our Surface 604 Ebikes come with through bolts. I've been contemplating putting them in my truck but I have a large 5th wheel style tool box and wouldn't be able to shut the tailgate if the bikes were in there. Not sure I want to deal with bolting and unbolting the front rim all the time.
We have used these https://www.bicyclebuys.com/hollywoo...hoCOkoQAvD_BwE
before and they worked great.
But they won't work for through bolt.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 09:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bro61021 View Post
How do you lift a 60+ pound bike into the back of a pick-up truck
If you had to; the same method we use to load a 250 lb dirtbike or a 400lb dual sport would work; a ramp.

Of course, for some people, it wouldn't matter; here's Scott Summers lifting a 300 lb XR600R;

Dave
Old 02-17-2022, 09:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Are your front axles through bolt or quick release?
I've had quick release on my last two non E bikes but our Surface 604 Ebikes come with through bolts. I've been contemplating putting them in my truck but I have a large 5th wheel style tool box and wouldn't be able to shut the tailgate if the bikes were in there. Not sure I want to deal with bolting and unbolting the front rim all the time.
We have used these https://www.bicyclebuys.com/hollywoo...hoCOkoQAvD_BwE
before and they worked great.
But they won't work for through bolt.

They are the quick release, and we use the Kuat DirtBag Phat 9 (135x9) mount. Did have to purchase a separate set of skewers, as the mount did not come with them.
Old 02-17-2022, 09:21 AM   #14

some good posts so far. I'm facing a similar scenario - my thoughts;

- If you have a proper frame mounted hitch and not just a tube welded or bolted to the bumper, I wouldn't worry about overloading the hitch.

- generally I am adverse to putting ANYTHING on the back of the trailer and screwing up the tongue weight is the easiest way to cause trailer instability issues. That said, my tongue weight is over 15% so it wouldn't be a problem for me to carry two ebikes on the back.

- stopping the bounce is key; If I do put them on the back the strap idea to some eye bolts on the bumper to stabilize would work well.

- putting them on the front of the truck works from a stability perspective but I wouldn't be keen on blocking off lighting and perhaps compromising cooling.

- back of the truck is obviously the best place if you have room.

2 cents,
Dave

Tags
hitch