Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2014, 06:51 AM   #1

Hitch type

I am new to towing a travel trailer and would like some input on the type of hitches people are using and have had good luck with. I seem to be getting a lot of sway and have trouble going over 60mph. I have a 30 foot trailer and tow it with a Chevy Tahoe.
Thanks
MIKE N JO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2014, 07:01 AM   #2

My opinion is that is too much trailer for a Tahoe. You probably need more tongue weight to stop the sway, but then again the Tahoe may be overloaded.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:02 AM   #3

That happened to me once and I didn't have enough weight on the ball.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:37 AM   #4

Too much TT for that vehicle.

Weight Distribution Hitch with Sway Control along with proper Tow vehicle is what you need.
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:45 AM   #5

Hitch

Do you really think the trailer is to much? It is a Rockwood ultra lite 29.6 feet
weight is 5700 base Really dont load much in there. The truck is rated for 6700lbs towing. I am looking at an equal-i-zer hitch to see if it will pull better.
MIKE N JO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #6

What do you currently use for WD and sway control? I have an Equal-i-zer 4 point setup and like it. If you're currently using nothing it should make a night and day difference, if you're already using a WD with anti-sway I would suggest double checking your setup. Changing hitches may help but you still could have underlying issues, like not enough hitch weight,,, etc. Although you're close on weight, it still should pull correctly.
Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:23 PM   #7

I also have an Equal-I-Zer hitch and would not use anything else. The only other hitch I might look at is the Pro Pride and for 3k I don't see any significant added value. You are at the upper limit of your tow vehicles capacity. The trailer has the upper hand in your set up. A Ford F150 with Eco Boost has a rating of 11,200 pounds. If anyone tows such a trailer they will not be happy and will be over the limits. Half tons limits as far as I'm concerned is 7500-8000 lbs. Some tow more but why risk it.
Trade the Tahoe for a larger vehicle and add some cushion so you have room to grow.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote