Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2020, 09:15 AM   #1
ake

Hot water

I have a 27 foot Cougar TT with a 5 gal. water heater. I find it very hard to take a shower without running out of hot water. Have not had a trailer in several years, but say 20 years ago the hot water supply was well adequate. Is that the way the newer ones are or is there something I can fix to improve my hot water supply?
ake is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2020, 09:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ake View Post
I have a 27 foot Cougar TT with a 5 gal. water heater. I find it very hard to take a shower without running out of hot water. Have not had a trailer in several years, but say 20 years ago the hot water supply was well adequate. Is that the way the newer ones are or is there something I can fix to improve my hot water supply?
Lots of variables here, starting with how you shower, but let's assume you are familiar with the "Navy shower" technique.

It's important to know what brand and model of water heater you have. I am not familiar with a 5 gal. heater, as the two major brands tend to be 6 gal. at the smallest. I include this only because your issue may be the thermostat is not correctly heating the water to the proper temperature and the thermostats are brand specific.

Your hot water should typically be ~140* F at the outlet. If it is less, then you will use more hot water in mixing for a shower and this may be your issue. As a first step, take an accurate measurement of the hot water temperature and report back.

Is your heater gas, electric, or both? If both, do you have the same issue when either source is used?
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:17 PM   #3

Not a direct answer... but a lot of people swear by the Oxygenics shower head for RVs to reduce water usage and extend hot water time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AZOWSJM#Ask
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:27 PM   #4

Your other posts state you have a Suburban SW6DE water heater
That is a Direct Spark Gas AND Electric combo model

Two separate sets fo t-stats (under cover above gas valve
Left side set...120VAC set of t-stats for electric element operation

Upper one is High Temp T-stat...trips open at 170*F/manual push button reset
Lower one is the Normal Temp/controlling T-stat....Opens at 130*F/Closes at 100*F

Right side set......12VDC set of t-stats for gas operation
Upper...High Temp/170*F trips---manual reset
Lower..Normal Temp/130*F etc

6 gallon tank capacity
But...BOTH the electric and propane can be USED at SAME time for fastest heat recovery
Electric On/Off Switch is in lower left corner of outside compartment
****WH Tank MUST have water before turning electric on or you will burn element out within few minutes

Both electric/gas ON
'Navy Showers' and TWO people should be able to shower
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:48 PM   #5

You probably actually have a 6 gallon hot water heater. You can take a medium long shower I think with the 6 gallon water heater. I never run out but I go in thinking I will not lollygag too much. I leave the water running while I soap up and then I rinse off.

I do not like a navy shower but tried it one time to see. I filled up the fresh water tank and took my navy shower. I then refilled the fresh water tank with 2.5 gallons of water.

It is not a house shower where you have 40 or 50 gallon hot water heater.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:24 PM   #6

You're really back!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Your other posts state you have a Suburban SW6DE water heater
That is a Direct Spark Gas AND Electric combo model

Two separate sets fo t-stats (under cover above gas valve
Left side set...120VAC set of t-stats for electric element operation

Upper one is High Temp T-stat...trips open at 170*F/manual push button reset
Lower one is the Normal Temp/controlling T-stat....Opens at 130*F/Closes at 100*F

Right side set......12VDC set of t-stats for gas operation
Upper...High Temp/170*F trips---manual reset
Lower..Normal Temp/130*F etc

6 gallon tank capacity
But...BOTH the electric and propane can be USED at SAME time for fastest heat recovery
Electric On/Off Switch is in lower left corner of outside compartment
****WH Tank MUST have water before turning electric on or you will burn element out within few minutes

Both electric/gas ON
'Navy Showers' and TWO people should be able to shower
And firing on all cylinders.
We missed you Old-Biscuit.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:01 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Even with my 10 gallon tank I turn the flow down to about 2/3 of full pressure which gives me a good 10 minutes of continuous hot water.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 02:52 AM   #8

Check the flow rate of your shower head. With a 6 gallon water heater, you need to use a shower head that has a conservative flow rate. We have a Camco shower head, and I can take a decent shower without running out of water. If the DW is planning on taking a shower after me, I flip on the propane so the recovery is faster than just electric. I've had enough hot water even when camping in cold weather where the water is quite cold.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:07 AM   #9
ake

hot water

The heater is a suburban 6 gal. DSI
ake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water