Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2017, 07:11 PM   #15

Please read all the good advice on this thread. You don't have 220! I simply ran a branch off of a circuit in my house to an RV plug you can buy at Home Depot. I plug in all the time while at home to keep the battery charged and the MaxxFan ventilating the TT. The inverter is the device that takes 110 volts AC from your house line and inverts it to 12 volts DC for use in your TT. Happy camping!
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2017, 07:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverenuff View Post
It's a pretty easy task for a qualified electrician to ADD either a 30A or 50A breaker (as needed) into your existing house panel. From there they can run a dedicated circuit to a location convenient to where you park the TT and wire up a compatible receptacle. If you go that route, you can power up everything, including AC's in case you use the rig for visitors.
^^*
This!
petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverenuff View Post
It's a pretty easy task for a qualified electrician to ADD either a 30A or 50A breaker (as needed) into your existing house panel. From there they can run a dedicated circuit to a location convenient to where you park the TT and wire up a compatible receptacle. If you go that route, you can power up everything, including AC's in case you use the rig for visitors.

It was pretty easy for me (and I am not an electrician, I just play one in the basement). I didn't have an open space so I moved the storage building onto another breaker and added a 30A breaker and ran it to a outlet box from the hardware store. About 45 minutes and all of the instructions came from google and youtube.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:04 PM   #18

I added a 30 amp plug outside the house when I had my old rv which was 30 amp.My new one is 50 but the 30 will still run one air conditioner and keep everything charged and happy.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:06 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
It has been said by others but this is worth repeating.
An RV 30 amp service is one of the most common areas that professional electricians and diy wire incorrectly.
1. It is not the same as a dryer, welder or stove
2. It is not a 240volt plug

3. It is a 120volt plug.

There have been many that have fried their electronics not doing it correctly.

See image I borrowed from another thread.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2406.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	176276
Old 09-11-2017, 09:59 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevesfamily View Post
The inverter is the device that takes 110 volts AC from your house line and inverts it to 12 volts DC for use in your TT!
Correction: a "converter" (also referred to as a charger) is what takes 120VAC and converts it into 12vdc for use in your TT. An "inverter" does the opposite; it takes 12vdc from your battery bank and inverts it into 120VAC.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:16 AM   #21

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
It has been said by others but this is worth repeating.
An RV 30 amp service is one of the most common areas that professional electricians and diy wire incorrectly.
1. It is not the same as a dryer, welder or stove
2. It is not a 240volt plug

3. It is a 120volt plug.

There have been many that have fried their electronics not doing it correctly.

See image I borrowed from another thread.
Attachment 176276
Yes it is worth repeating.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:28 AM   #22

How to Plug Your RV Into House Electric

https://blog.rvshare.com/rv-electrical/

One of these should help you out - Pretty simple - just depends how much you need to use.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:30 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karoshi View Post
....... I'm wondering if there's a way to plug into 120v when my camper's parked at home so the nephews or other family can use the camper when visiting at my house. ......
If you can get the trailer close enough to plug the RV cord into a 20 amp outlet (via adapter) you should be able to run one AC. You could pick up a Kill-a-watt meter from Harbor Freight. This will help you determine how many amps you're drawing.

Good luck.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:28 AM   #24
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karoshi View Post
There's a 220v extension cord on my new 1999 travel trailer which apparently powers everything inside. I'm wondering if there's a way to plug into 120v when my camper's parked at home so the nephews or other family can use the camper when visiting at my house.

There is no practical way to get 220v from my dryer out to the camper.

Any ideas?

Thank you,
Tom

Hi Tom! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Others have answered your question so I won't put in my 2 cents worth!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:30 AM   #25

I have a 400 amp service to my house. Was all electric until natural gas came to the neighborhood. So, after we bought our motorhome, I hired a licensed electrician to install an outdoor 30 amp outlet. I have a 30 amp pigtail adapter from my 50 amp (110v) rv cord. This system works well for me. I also have the 30 amp to 15 amp adapter that I've never used. It would only be useful for lighting and battery charging but not for other other systems like portable space heaters, dehumidifiers, ac & microwave.
BOBNBONNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:52 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamperz View Post
I use the Walmart adapter to knock my 30 amps down to 15 amps when it's at home in the drive way for packing/unpacking. That gives the fridge a jump start and makes sure the battery is full. However, it is not good for the air conditioner to be run on less than the full 30 amps. All other appliances should be fine, but you may be limited on how many other things can run at a time
Ditto. We used an adapter to plug our 30 amp into a 20 amp outside plug and could do just about anything we wanted, except run the air. We did it overnight before a trip to run the fridge.

We eventually had a 30 amp plug installed on the building.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:59 AM   #27

lots of good info here. i have one thing to add. its possible that ur previous owner was telling you that by plugging in your camper to a 110 power that it would charge your batteries. My rv does this. just plugging in at home to a standard 110 outlet with my dogbone gives me power to all my lights and what not, but will not allow me to run the air conditioners. (i could run one on low if i wanted to test my electrical work as it will melt an extension cord) But plugging in also keeps my batteries topped off so they are good to go when i am ready to leave. I also use it to turn the fridge on a day before i leave so its cold by the time im ready to go.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:15 PM   #28

Left 30A plug....OK for your RV

Right 30A plug.............NO NO NO NEVER NO NO NO
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote