Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2006, 09:42 PM   #1
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Because of our association we are required to put our Toy hauler in storage. Up until now we have not had a problem, but last night a storm hit Phoenix and our trailer received some minor damage I think. Heres what happened.

All the trailers in the storage area face East or West the normal way the wind blows. They say winds gusted over 50 mph at the airport where we park the camper. The wind came from the north with high dust closing the airport. The wind blew the front of our camper almost 4 ft. causing it to fall off the blocks bending the front jack slightly thankfully the camper stopped less then 1 inch from the boat parked next to us. Three sites down it blew a 5th wheel about 3 feet into the slide-in on the ground next to it. Across from us a pop up was pushed into a TT and the the worst was another 5th wheel was blown over and landed on its side against a fence...

So the question is... When you park your camper, beside blocking the wheels, what else do you do? We don't put our stabilizers down or drop the tongue jack down on the ground but I think we are going to have to do that.

Lastly is there anything I should look for that may not be real obvious that may be damaged?

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2006, 09:42 PM   #2
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Because of our association we are required to put our Toy hauler in storage. Up until now we have not had a problem, but last night a storm hit Phoenix and our trailer received some minor damage I think. Heres what happened.

All the trailers in the storage area face East or West the normal way the wind blows. They say winds gusted over 50 mph at the airport where we park the camper. The wind came from the north with high dust closing the airport. The wind blew the front of our camper almost 4 ft. causing it to fall off the blocks bending the front jack slightly thankfully the camper stopped less then 1 inch from the boat parked next to us. Three sites down it blew a 5th wheel about 3 feet into the slide-in on the ground next to it. Across from us a pop up was pushed into a TT and the the worst was another 5th wheel was blown over and landed on its side against a fence...

So the question is... When you park your camper, beside blocking the wheels, what else do you do? We don't put our stabilizers down or drop the tongue jack down on the ground but I think we are going to have to do that.

Lastly is there anything I should look for that may not be real obvious that may be damaged?

Thanks
Old 06-09-2006, 04:10 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
Sounds to me like higher than 50 MPH wind gusts. If the wind was strong enough to knock over a trailer, I really don't think there is much you can do other than strapping the thing to the ground. When I lived in Baltimore and kept my 5th wheel in storage, I kept it level, and lowered the stabilizing jacks, and used the BAL locking wheel chocks that go in between the the tires. Basically the same as it would be set up as if were camping, except with the slide in. Never had any issue with wind.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:24 AM   #4

We never put blocks under the front jacks. I dont want there to be something to fall off of. I just extend the bottom part to near the ground, then use jack motor to lift/lower as necessary.If ground is soft, then a flat 2x6 to distrubute the weight. Sounds like the wind was a rare event, so not likely it will occur again. Tiedowns concreted into the ground (like for the planes) would be the only defense against a side gust of wind. They probably wont let you put tiedown anchors in the ground. Storm gusts dont always come from the same direction so it is a guess as to how to orient a parked trailer.

I would put all stabilizers down and not put tall blocks under the jack(s).
Old 06-09-2006, 08:08 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I would put all stabilizers down and not put tall blocks under the jack(s). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with "Two Bit" regarding blocking up the landing gear, learned my lesson the hard way about 15 years ago with my first 5th wheel.

I had the landing gear up on blocks about 8" thick and when I was hitching up once the hitch wasn't aligned correctly, bumped the trailer back off the blocks and put a couple creases in my bed rails. Ever since I've just used a 3/4" thick board to keep the pads from sinking into the ground.

Hard lessons learned are often remembered.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:33 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Kablewizard,

Some time ago, I'm sure on this forum, there was discussion on this, can't find it now but this may give you some ideas.

http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/30...-tie-down.aspx

I am not sure how it all works but believe the anchors screw into the ground similar to the way we use dog chain anchors to strap down our canopies. The straps are metal or steel cables that go around the trailer frame on the four corners. Mike
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 07:32 PM   #7
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
hanks for all the input so far, The wind can do this around here in the afternoons when its hot like this, it's called the monsoon. The pop up is kept in the garage so we never thought about a problem. I looked around and several campers had their stabilizers down and stayed put. I agree the wind had to be way higher then 50 mph. I have a big 2 foot square piece of wood that is 2X6 glued together, I need that to get the front high enough to clear the hitch. I didn't put to much set up in afraid someone might steal it. I guess I will use it for safety from now on.

Like I said, the storage area is on the guard base along the side of the airport, all paved, so we can't put holes in the ground for the straps.

We have the Ultra 3002 electric jack for the front , dose anyone know if I can get the inside tube? Thats the one that got bent. All I am finding are folks who want to sell the whole thing.

Jim