Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Towing

10 hours in a car is nowhere near as taxing as even 6 hours in a motorhome or towing a trailer.

When we plan a trip we almost always limit actual travel time to around 4 hours. There have been exceptions, and we always regretted them.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
The best wisdom that seems be coming out of here is that it depends.

It depends on you, what you are driving, the weather, the quality of the roads, whether there is more than 1 driver, the amount of traffic, how well you feel that particular day. There is no one answer.

Listen to your body and how you feel. If you are getting tired, feeling like you are really having to strain, you should stop. It is your safety and the safety other others on the road at stake. There are no end to the stories where people who were "pushing it" ended up in bad ways just because they had an unrealistic idea of how long they wanted to go. Plan for the drive you want but don't buy into the "gotta get this far" idea to the point where you start to make bad decisions. That last hour or two isn't worth your life or the lives of others if your body is saying no.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
That last hour or two isn't worth your life or the lives of others if your body is saying no.
this is the ABSOLUTE bottom line and most true statement in this thread!

2015 Open Range 288flr
hawk232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk232 View Post

this is the ABSOLUTE bottom line and most true statement in this thread!

Originally Posted by sirpurrcival
That last hour or two isn't worth your life or the lives of others if your body is saying no.

Yep!
I used to be driven to drive to the goal ASAP. I changed! Intermediate goals, about 6 hours apart.
If I dont enjoy the journey, the destination is not half as much fun. Because I get grumpy.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #19

Fuel and potty stops give you time to walk around,stretch, and get a quick meal. Years ago I drove from IN to WY non-stop, except for the previous conditions, in our MH. Did the same for the return trip, except my buddy side-swiped a bridge wall when he fell asleep at the wheel in a construction zone. That was an expensive hunting trip, but at least no hospital or funeral costs were involved. Today that is called "impaired driving".
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #20

I'm not towing a trailer, just a toad with a DP. Just got back from driving more than I wanted. We planned on a 320 mi. push then a day in the park, but it was raining, so we just kept on trucking,stopping for meals,fuel, & just getting out and running around. Made it home with a 2 hr nap, I just can't sleep long with all the diesels running at rest stop & I read too many complaints about big rigs making all that racket pulling into a site at 10:00 pm. We're on our 3rd yr. of drought, the rain looked & sounded nice at first, but not so much fun when home isn't getting any of it.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
10 hours in a car is nowhere near as taxing as even 6 hours in a motorhome or towing a trailer.
That depends on your perspective. 10 hours in a car may put people to sleep because you don't have to be nearly as alert and there isn't nearly as much you need to pay attention to. Staying sharp and paying attention while towing keeps me very awake. It keeps my mind active and alert. But you make a good point that being hyper alert can make some people tired or wore out. Being able to recognize that in yourself is very important.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:14 AM   #22

I do 10 or more hrs. a lot. Towing and not towing. My rig goes down the road very very nice and easy. No fatigue really.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #23

We've found the limit with our travel trailer is 500 to 600 miles in a day.
DDHB2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
One thing more...the walking around is critical. When I have a long day, I always make sure to take a couple of aspirin. You may remember the reporter who died at the beginning of the Iraqi war. He died of Deep Vein Thrombosis or DVT. When you sit for prolonged periods of time you risk blood clots which are also the cause of strokes. Not giving medical advise just saying what I do.
Poqprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #25

When I was young and bulletproof I did a lot of ten to twelve hour days. No more which drove DW nuts at first. Her ex would drive from Vancouver to Reno in a day and a half spending a night at Medford. We took two days and a bit to do the same trip. I'm 64 and refuse to push like that, too much room for error.
We generally pull out around 9, stop for lunch and are looking for a cg shortly after 4.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #26

Palehorse sounds like an X trucker like me. When you gotta get there, you gotta get there! I found my limitation in 1989 when I fell asleep at the wheel, thank God I pulling a hill only drifted off the road and got stuck.

As others have said, it depends on you and the situation but mostly you. This is supposed to be an enjoyable experience, not an endurance race.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

We are long-distance RVers. On a 2,000 mile leg, if we are in no hurry we usually break it up into about 400 miles per day on interstate or good highways. But we have also made over 700 miles in one day from Midland to Memphis TN on the way to see daughter in Knoxville, or almost 700 miles from Midland to Fort Collins CO on the way to see granddaughter near Mountain Home ID.

On those 700-mile days, we start early stop for only a few minutes at every interstate rest stop and walk the dogs (and ourselves). I drive 90% of the miles, but Darling Wife will drive for an hour or so on 4-lane or interstate highways.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:06 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN View Post
Never towed more than 2 hours in a day but thinking of a 10 hour drive this summer. Ford Expedition towing 26 foot TT. Is that too far in 1 day? DW would likely drive a 2-3 hour piece.
Geez...we just do 4-5 hours per day and that's it. All in day and early morning to avoid hot pavement on tires.
DonnyB007 is offline   Reply With Quote