Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire Wrat View Post
New TT owner here, What are "house batterys" My trailer has one battery up front behind the two gas (propane) bottles. Are there others I have not discovered yet? Why do you want to disconnect them? I keep my TT pluged into the house current. I had a 30 amp cmpsite recepticle installed near where we park the camper. Thanks for indulging my ignorance. Jimm Zi/
My understanding(please excuse my ignorance if wrong) is that the 12v battery(ies) on a TT are ALWAYS considered 'house batteries'. The distinction is more important on a motorhome, where there is a 'chassis battery' and a 'house battery'. The chassis battery is used for the engine functions(starting, running the front stereo, headlights, etc.) where the house battery is connected to the interior (house-style) lights, water-pump and the like.
DrivinMyHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2011, 10:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et Cetera View Post
That's a good idea (using the space under the oven).
But, I wouldn't store my popcorn in there
Seriously, since most RV'ers don't seem to use the oven, it's probably a great choice, just make sure something flammable doesn't get stored in there.
Next time the oven is used, I'd be taking the temp in the new storage area.
The hanging shelves sound good too. How bout some pic's?
Keep the idea's coming!

Etc
Took a bit to get the pics, but let's see if it works!!

This is the .99 cent door face under the oven.

We haven't put a friction latch on it yet (to keep it closed when underway) so you can see that my wife put our pizza spatula(?) in the way to block objects from knocking it open. Also, the hinges are visible in this shot (I forgot to mention that they added ~$6 to the cost). We haven't used the oven for a few months (I'll ask THAT question eventually) so we have been storing baby cereal as well as a few non-flammable items in this new-found space. The oven is where we store our bread!!

The cloth boxes are mounted to the ceiling on either side of the livingroom space. We have a rear slide (partially visible in the pictures) which necessitated keeping them high up.

DrivinMyHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire Wrat View Post
New TT owner here, What are "house batterys" My trailer has one battery up front behind the two gas (propane) bottles. Are there others I have not discovered yet? Why do you want to disconnect them? I keep my TT pluged into the house current. I had a 30 amp cmpsite recepticle installed near where we park the camper. Thanks for indulging my ignorance. Jimm Zi/
As previously answered, you have one "house" battery, However; the other part of your question wasn't answered, That being the part about a battery disconnect switch. And for your setup, having one (or physically disconnecting the battery) is important.

A standard TT AC/DC converter usually includes a battery charging circuit, Only problem is this circuitry is totally inadequate for maintaining the battery with a proper "float" charge. The constant charge fed from the converter while plugged into "shore" power will quickly boil the fluids out of your battery and destroy it. So while at home plugged into the 30 amp circuit or in storage for any length or time you should disconnect the battery, Hence the need for a switch allowing you to accomplish the disconnect without tools.

Respectfully,

John
Old Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:57 AM   #18

add doors on the outside of the under dinette seat storage area and the front of the under bed area for quick access. One door opens to a pull out basket which holds small items we need in a hurry and don't want to pick up seats or bed to get. Not a new idea, doors are on more expensive tt's.
tooltrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
John - I was not aware of that. Makes me glad that I installed the Battery Tender and took the unit off of shore power.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #20

Here are a few mods we have done to our Lance 1685 since we bought it. 2010 Lance Model 1685
sealyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Hi All;
This got us thinking that there just has to be a whole lot of folks that work/hobby out of their trailer and must have done some really neat things to their trailers to make life easier.
Brevity snipped!

I remember seeing a TT where the people removed the bunks on one side in the rear and had a tiny office in it's place. But sometimes that can't be done because the water pump or something else is under the bed.

I would love to replace our dinette with regular chairs but can't because of the water pump under one of them.
RanCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #22

Forgot to add another mod-had a 2nd tv installed over foot of bed (we have a 19"tt), seems like over kill, but tv is set up with wireless headset for sound, so wife can watch her shows and I can sit in dinette and enjoy mine. necessary since we spent 3 months travelling last winter and are leaving New Years day to do it again. We love travelling
tooltrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #23

Lets see: Replaced all the plastic pancake lite fixtures with nicer ones, upgraded tires from the OEM E-Series to G-Series, added the second AC in the BR vent, Winegard SK3005 auto-matic Sat Dish, Level-Up Auto Leveling system, MorRyde Independent Suspension system, Combo Washer/Dryer, removed blank panel under entertainment center and made a DVD cabinet, plus a bunch of other miscellaneous items too numerous to mention.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:42 PM   #24

Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Hi All; So, if you have made changes or customized your castle, please share with the rest of us, after all, “imitation is the highest form of flattery”.
I rebuilt the front entertainment center for the flat screen TV. All the inside overhead lights have been changed to flourescent. All the outside tail and marker lights are LED's. The porch light is also flourescent. The radio has been changed over so I can hook up my Sirius radio to it. I bought the JVC unit that is used in some of the newer trailers from a RV surplus dealer. All the roof vents have max-air power fans over them, and a power vent was added in the bedroom. (I don't know why Fleetwood didn't put a vent in the bedroom) The windows have limo tinting on them. Changed the steel wheels over to aluminum. 12 volt motors on the dump valves. 3 place rifle rack built into the bedroom closet. Electric awning and manual windows awnings. Ultra-fab front and rear stab jacks. Put in a rope light around the inside of the slide room and puck light under the back cabinet, for a night light for the wife. Changed where the power cord goes into the trailer to a disconnect unit. Installed a 120 volt outlet next to the power inverter wired to the breaker for the A/C. Can use this to run an electric heater, dedicated line, and I used 12 gauge wire, so I know it's heavy enough. I put in a central vac unit after the wife fell trying to use house vac in the trailer. My wife has Multiple Sclerosis, so the lighting changes, window tinting, window awnings and the vac helps her out a lot. It seems like it is a never ending project. And, I don't know how to post pics. Sorry.

Regards,
Grumpytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #25

We are still in the process of personalizing ours. We have a keystone sprinter 32bhs...I think it's a sprinter. lol. It's been a long day.

We're going to be full timers in 2 short months....for about 6months or until we find a house or it gets too cold to be in the tt. We're a family of 7, 5 boys from 1yo to 10yo, so the bunkhouse was a necessity. We've done a few trips in our tt, figuring out where things will go and improvements we want to make. We put a cat door in so the girls can get to their litter box, hidden away in the storage accessible outside. (Baby proofing the litter box!) We're seriously contemplating ripping out one of the bunks. If you look at the floorplan, it's the bunk that has the cabinets and exterior storage under it. We aren't using that bed, and I need a washer/dryer and I'd like to make the rest of it a more functional closet for 4 of the boys' clothes....and, hopefully, their homeschool books. My husband hooked up a diaper sprayer to the toilet for me- woohoo!! There are several panels with wasted space behind them. Those are all going to be used. The one under the linen "closet" will be another drawer. The one above the fridge will be a cabinet. The pantry will have pull-outs put in (nothing like pantry diving!). The empty panels on each side of the tv will become my spice rack. We are going to put a fold down counter (like in the kitchen) in the bathroom because there is no counter space. A small cabinet is going above the toilet with hooks underneath for towels. We put in a new tp holder, a hook by the bathtub to hang your towel on, and one by the sink for hand towels. I'm putting in a hairdryer holder, too. I bought some of the over the door shoe pouch things. I cut them down to fit, added grommets, and I'm waiting on my husband to screw them to the walls along the bunks. The trundle style bunk bed is junk. It's a pita to pull out and if you put linens on it, it'll take them off. So, that mattress got put on the next bed up and we just lay it on the floor. My husband is working on sealing it off, making the next bed up raise up like a toy box lid, and viola- toy box! I hung a fruit hammock and a wine glass rack under the cabinet over the sink. In that cabinet, my husband has orders to build a variety of shelves for bread and such so it doesn't get smooshed. I used one of the sticky tabs that are used with the 3m hooks to hold a kitchen timer on the wall by the stove. I put 3M hooks by the microwave (potholders), by the door (misc), in the bathroom (broom, mop, etc), on our bedroom doors (bathrobes, Ikea frog wall pouch for cloth diapers, purse), in the kids' bedroom (frog wall pouches), and on the side of the cabinet over the sink for kitchen utensils (whisk, spatulas, etc). The frog pouches are for the children's gloves, hats, belts (top), underwear (middle), and socks (bottom). I'm still working on day dreaming our room. I'll give my husband a chance to catch up on his honey-do before I add more to it. :lol:
maconswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #26

Just a few changed made on my trailer installed power lift at hitch back up lights on trailer for the night backup. Hard to see at some 40 ft or so back at night. Removed a small wall in my trailer on my side of the bed to make access easier.Installed rope light under the front section of the trailer for night lighting with a timer to come on at the right time. Installed a steel line with shut off and quick disc for outside cooking with 3 burner cooker. Man that was one of the best things I did. Just some of my mods that I have done. More to come

Dan Smooth sailing to all
zepp303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #27

Have made many, many, modifications to our trailer including: solar, batteries, LED's, inverter, new charger, added insulation, reading lights, Fantastic Fan, new bed, new dinette cushons, etc, etc, etc and someday, I will try to list them all (trailer is only a year old too).
And today, I ordered double pane windows from Motion Windows with life time guarantee against internal condesation. Should be ready in a month.

Steve
SteveE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #28

Outside: Added second battery; mounted aluminum truck tool box on tongue for batteries and to store WD bars, BAL X-chocks and tools; replaced crank tongue jack with electric jack; replaced useless Jenson multidirectional antenna with Winegard Wingman HD antenna. Inside: Mounted LCD TV, added DVD player; installed 150W inverter for TV and DVD; built small transfer switch for inverter so it automatically senses line current and switches to 120V; added signal strength meter for antenna; replaced thermostat with digital; replaced all interior bulbs with LEDs; added undercounter water filter; replaced toilet with Dometic 310 china toilet; replaced showerhead with oxygenics head; replaced bathroom sink faucet with high profile faucet; added 120V outlet above dinette table for toaster, coffee maker, etc.; added 12V outlet under dinette for phone chargers; added LP gas switchover indicator; installed drawer glides for drawers under the sink; installed vortex fan in vent over bed and modified fan for reverse and two-speed operation; added shelves to cabinets over dinette; constructed and installed relay module so air conditioner is controlled with digital thermostat; installed magnetic knife holder; added 2 gal. accumulator tank; added valve to fresh water tank vent; replaced dinette table pedestals with wall mounted table hinge/bracket setup. I think that about covers it...
nadkaw1957 is offline   Reply With Quote