Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2021, 01:12 PM   #15

That's me to a T. I like to make the trip part of the journey.
Dusty
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRidge View Post
I like about 250 miles per day. I don’t set an alarm to wake up and, I have a leisurely morning for coffee and breakfast. Usually leave the campground at about 10:00am and drive for a couple of hours then stop for lunch and a 30 minute nap. Hit the road again and finish the day. That usually puts me in another campground by 3:00 to 3:30 pm.

I’m retired. No hurry.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2021, 03:54 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
3 O'Clock or 3PM....whichever comes first
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:10 PM   #17

I live in Nevada. It can be a long drive between places we want to camp. When I retire we may drive less per day but sometimes it still is 400+ miles between camping stops.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:33 PM   #18

What is your goal or purpose and time frame?

In March we did WA to AZ, 1300 miles/20 hours on google. We did it 2 days down 2 days back. Those are long days, but the goal was to get to AZ.

In June we are headed to the HDT rally in Cadwell, ID. This is the same route we took to AZ but it is 450 miles and 7.5 hr of drive time. We are starting our normal summer travels with no rush. We will do this trip with an overnight stay roughly half way.

During our normal travels we make a large loop and look for areas of interest along that route. We typically keep our destinations about 1-3 hours apart which leads to about double that on the road. We have to dump/fill, hit the store, add fuel to the TH, get any other supplies we need and maybe do a lunch/dinner.

For one of my jobs we can not drive more than 10 hours/day and I am usually around that time.

So back to my original statement, it really depends on what your goal is and what your purpose is.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:47 PM   #19

Thanks everyone for sharing experiences, insight, and advice.

I, and Mrs Ldubs, are retired. We are fortunate to have a lot of beautiful places to see that are relatively close to home. I would say a half day or less of road time.

One of these days we might venture out further. I was just kind of wondering how much time I should plan to spend on the road on a multi-day trip to a location. I was thinking 6 hours is good with 8 max. Looks like I'm kind of in the hunt with a lot of the RV fraternity.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:01 AM   #20

For the times we have longer days scheduled it is good to have a plan B where you can stop for an overnight if you run into issues keeping you from finishing the longer drive for the day.

You might have unexpected delays or just feel too tired to keep on going. It is great to have a 2nd person in the vehicle researching options if things don't go as planned.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:42 AM   #21

Am I the only one that will drive from point A to point B to get there? For example - I have reservations starting Dec 3rd in Florida and I am in Ohio. I will leave Ohio Dec 2nd and drive like heck to get there before the park RV office closes on Dec 3rd.

It seems I have reservations more times than not.

This was his it used to be for me.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:31 PM   #22

Man, what I would give to be retired with all the time on my hands !!

Unfortunately, for now - I'm a working stiff and time is precious - we pound as many miles as possible each day - its nothing for us to put in 12-14 hour days just to get to our destination and home - we try to maximize "camping time" by eliminating as much "driving time" as possible
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:40 PM   #23

5 to 6 hrs. per day. Some days, only two hrs. Retired and in no rush.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post

Unfortunately, for now - I'm a working stiff and time is precious - we pound as many miles as possible each day - its nothing for us to put in 12-14 hour days just to get to our destination and home - we try to maximize "camping time" by eliminating as much "driving time" as possible
Isn’t driving 12-14 hours in two or three days still 12-14 hours of driving?
Meaning it is the same amount of drive time.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:46 PM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Retired, but DW is always in a rush. "When are we going to get there??"

I prefer to drive 3 to 5 hours per day, but often drive 8 to 10 or more.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:48 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
Isn’t driving 12-14 hours in two or three days still 12-14 hours of driving?
Meaning it is the same amount of drive time.

It’s the total time available for a trip. I’ll do the same, 12 hours is about my work hours most days. 12 hours of driving is not as stressful, and can actually be enjoyable. I’m sure once completely retired the driving time will come down per day. I have a good list of small places I’ve passed to visit in the future. For now, and while the kids are still around, the trip to the bigger stuff is a priority.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:52 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post

I've been retired for 10 years. All I can say is it is better than I thought it would be! As far as spare time goes, this is going to sound strange but I still don't have enough time to do all the things I want and can do. Haha.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:32 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gail View Post
I use mileage rather than time to determine when to stop .

On average I usually figure 250-350 miles per day . Which can be 4 hrs. up to 8 hrs. of driving depending on the road and how many side trips we do.

We've driven as few as 50 miles and as far as 500 miles in a day .

We determine around noon how far we're going to get that day , then call ahead to CG's to reserve a site . Traveled all over this Great Nation and have never been unable to arrange a camp site , unless it was early in the year and the area CG's hadn't opened for the season .
I'm a type A traveler and I have got to learn to call ahead rather than book six months in advance. I want to learn that flexibility now that we have retired. It's a personal challenge for me.
luckystar is offline   Reply With Quote