Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2019, 09:56 AM   #1

How old is too old?

Just curious what everyone's opinions are on buying a used trailer. I am currently in the market for a used trailer, trying to stay between 15k and 18k and not older than a 2017. I have found some nicer trailers in my price range but quite a bit older than 2017. What do you think is too old for a travel trailer? I know a lot depends on the manufacturer and owner maintenance but wondering if anyone has a rule of thumb they follow.
ready2leave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2019, 10:10 AM   #2

I sold my 1997 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 28 ft travel trailer to the BIL for $5k a couple years ago. We are still speaking It was still in good shape and he will be using it this summer with the grandkids.

In 2013 I bought the 2002 HitchHiker 5th wheel. We live in that in the winter in Arizona. I do all my own maintenance and repairs which keeps the cost of ownership down.
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:41 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Part of the formula is deciding how long you expect to use it. After 15 years or so plastics and rubber is on the way out and it will be a constant battle to keep up with that. Followed by coatings decomposition and depending on where you live, corrosion. If you go into it with the idea it only has to last a given number of seasons then you junk it, you might adopt more risk/wear and tear than one you expect years of dependable service. Depends a lot on how handy you are too, some folks will put sweat equity into their possessions but if you have to pay by the hour for all repair and maintenance, that has to be factored as well.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:43 PM   #4

Just bought a 2013 Evergreen 19ERD and its in great shape with no issues. So previous use and care are a consideration.
TIME2CAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 04:41 AM   #5

On the late 2000's there was a switch over to flat TV's in 2009 and 2010. If a unit has a tube TV that is too old. They had the old fashion square(ish) 4/5 I think screen ratio.

The more modern ratio is 9/16.

So for me 2011 is about as old as I would go.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:22 PM   #6

Age is relative and how old is too old is a question only you could answer. Our budge was significantly lower than yours, we knew we needed a TT to accommodate our family but we weren't looking for the newest and latest fads - we spend little time in our camper (sleep mostly). Our first one was a 2002; current one matches our truck - both are 2006s. We'll be upgrading in a couple of years and looking for something newer, but we're totally happy. It really depends on your wants/needs/desires.
crazyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:06 PM   #7

Depends on budget, budget, budget.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:25 PM   #8

It depends on the condition. If it was stored under cover and we’ll cared for then age isn’t that important. I would like to find an older Silver Streak trailer to update. The other issue is if you are a DIY type person and enjoy that then your choice will be different than the person who can’t even twist a screwdriver. One would be happy with older quality units while the other will need a newer unit so he can have the short span of time to use it before the problems start to begin. Not too many trailers have a long life because they are basically a box of problems we try to keep on the road. Buy from someone who has done that and you will be ok.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote