Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2016, 10:06 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
No 4:00 AM trips out to switch tanks!

Roger
Like my neighbor! He actually prefers three am, but hey, after midnight, it's all too darned late at night. He likes to actually remove the empty cylinder from the trailer tongue and replace it with a full twenty pound cylinder. I think that lately he just uses one for a couple of nights and then switches it out for a full one before he hits the hay.

The auto switching regulators do a fine job. I check mine every two or three days when the temps are below freezing. When it shows red for the tank the pointer is pointing at, I get that tank refilled. It must be fairly foolproof for this fool to use it well!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2016, 10:09 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
wfcentral,

You said that you had two large tanks in the front. I'm a bit confused. You did not tell us if they are portable or fixed. Most travel trailers (TT) are removable and are therefore filled by weight. Most motor home tanks are fixed and have to be filled using the open vent system as described.

If your tanks are of a larger size and can't easily be removed then perhaps yours are set up to be filled using the venting method.

I have seen some larger TT's using 40 lb tanks (about 65 lbs) which can be a bit heavier than the standard 30 lb (53 lb) tanks.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:21 AM   #17

Quote:
I still don't get this, and I see a lot of people say this is how they do it. I have a switching regulator. When the primary tank goes dry, it switches to the other tank, and raises a red flag on the regulator. All I have to do is check it every couple of days. Then, when it switches, I set the full tank to be primary (basically turn a knob on the regulator), disconnect the empty tank, and go get it refilled at my leisure. No 4:00 AM trips out to switch tanks!

Roger
I'm speaking from memory as the unit is in storage right now - however, we will be taking a trip in the next few weeks and I will be getting the propane filled up at that time so I will know more.

To answer your questions - yes, it does have a switching regulator. I do not know if it has any indicator to show when it has "switched" - I think this is why the dealer told us to use the manual method... this same dealer also told us several things about other systems that were incorrect. The tanks are much taller than the 20# tanks you put on your BBQ grill. They also do not look like they can be easily removed - however, I could be wrong. Will find out soon.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfcentral View Post
I'm speaking from memory as the unit is in storage right now - however, we will be taking a trip in the next few weeks and I will be getting the propane filled up at that time so I will know more.

To answer your questions - yes, it does have a switching regulator. I do not know if it has any indicator to show when it has "switched" - I think this is why the dealer told us to use the manual method... this same dealer also told us several things about other systems that were incorrect. The tanks are much taller than the 20# tanks you put on your BBQ grill. They also do not look like they can be easily removed - however, I could be wrong. Will find out soon.
It's a 2016 trailer so it should have a switching regulator as you have indicated. If it has a switching regulator, IT WILL have an indicator. Otherwise, it would do you no good.
You need to have BOTH tank valves opened. When the propane from the selected tank runs empty, the valve will start drawing from the full tank. That's when the indicator will show red meaning the primary tank is empty. You then have to manually switch the valve to the secondary tank (which now becomes your primary). The indicator will return to green or "non-red". You now close the valve on the empty tank and either remove the tank to be filled (if able) or have it filled on the trailer if need be. You then go thru this process again when your new primary (which was your secondary) tank goes empty. Also, don't forget to turn the valve back on your refilled tank when reinstalled (or filled on trailer) so the regulator can work properly.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:41 AM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Leave both valves open, check the system every couple of days if you've started out with full tanks. Unless you run the furnace with all the windows and doors open, you won't have any troubles.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:08 PM   #20

My regulator doesn't have a colored indicator, just a knob the switches from one side to the other. Problem is keeping track of which way it was pointing when they both started out full. I just need to come up with a system for keeping track, but I never seem to remember to when swapping tanks.
Nut4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:26 PM   #21
RPr

I take my tanks to the local propane dealer, the same one that services my home. They fill it to the proper weight regardless of the degree of emptiness.

The tanks mount side by side on the tongue. I started with the tank selector on the right, I open the right tank. The little line indicator goes green. When the right tank runs out, the indicator goes red and I change to the left tank. I shut the right tank off, open the left tank, move the selector to the left, the indicator goes green and we are good to go.

Since I do not know when the second tank will run out, I carry an extra tank to tide me over if necessary. Usually there is some gas left in the second tank at the end of the season, when I take both tanks in for a refill.
RPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:53 PM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
This one is very close to what mine looks like.
Two Stage Automatic Changeover LP Regulator-pplmotorhomes.com
The tank the knob is pointing at is the one that is either green or red, red being empty, and it will atumatically change over to the tank with gas in it. If I see the red showing, I take the tank the pointer is pointing to and fill it after I rotate the knob to point at the tank that has gas. The knob turns green until that tank runs out, and I get that one filled, and so on.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:23 AM   #23

Quote:
I still don't get this, and I see a lot of people say this is how they do it. I have a switching regulator.
Habits left over from the days before auto changeover. Its like people that pump the gas before starting.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:42 AM   #24

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
wfcentral,

You said that you had two large tanks in the front. I'm a bit confused. You did not tell us if they are portable or fixed. Most travel trailers (TT) are removable and are therefore filled by weight. Most motor home tanks are fixed and have to be filled using the open vent system as described.

If your tanks are of a larger size and can't easily be removed then perhaps yours are set up to be filled using the venting method.

I have seen some larger TT's using 40 lb tanks (about 65 lbs) which can be a bit heavier than the standard 30 lb (53 lb) tanks.
Bingo

Most of the advice you got to this post is from people with motorhomes, with built in tanks. Yours need to be weighed, then the person doing the filling has to do the math, to know what the tank will weigh at 80% full.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:53 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Bingo

Most of the advice you got to this post is from people with motorhomes, with built in tanks. Yours need to be weighed, then the person doing the filling has to do the math, to know what the tank will weigh at 80% full.
I have my portable propane tanks filled by the gallon all of the time, all along the east coast.

Hook up the fill hose, crack the bleeder screw and pump until it spits or the OPD shuts the flow down.

The only math is the price per gallon.

The scales, at places with metered gas, just sit there rusting away.

Paying by weight is a flat rate charge, because they don't weigh before and deduct for gas in the tank.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:11 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPr View Post
I take my tanks to the local propane dealer, the same one that services my home. They fill it to the proper weight regardless of the degree of emptiness.
RPr

And a "reputable" propane dealer/seller will only charge you for the amount of propane they put in your tank to fill it...(NOT a "flat rate" based on the size of the tank).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:17 AM   #27

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I have my portable propane tanks filled by the gallon all of the time, all along the east coast.

Hook up the fill hose, crack the bleeder screw and pump until it spits or the OPD shuts the flow down.

The only math is the price per gallon.

The scales, at places with metered gas, just sit there rusting away.

Paying by weight is a flat rate charge, because they don't weigh before and deduct for gas in the tank.
I cant say I've ever seen a portable cylinder that had a bleed screw.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:37 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
I cant say I've ever seen a portable cylinder that had a bleed screw.
I've seen hundreds of them. When OPD was introduced, non OPD tanks were collected at our recycling facility.

Before disposal as scrap, the tanks needed to be empty. I would crack the bleeder, in a clear area, and empty them.

You can see the bleed screw in the picture.
Attached Images

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane