Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2019, 10:40 AM   #43

First of all, a Bearing Buddy is NOT the same......an easy lube spindle is gun drilled, with the inside hole intersecting just in front of the inner bearing.....when you pump grease in, if follows the path of least resistance, then starts pushing the grease that's in the hub out toward the outer bearing.....if you blow the rear seal out, they were probably bent when driven in......when grease appears coming out from around the rubber plug, it's the grease that's just been riding in the hub.....look up Easy Lube axles...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2019, 12:12 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rocker View Post
That's what I was thinking, they just put grease in the cavity between the bearings, so spinning the wheel would add no benefit.
Well neither one of you know how they are made, look it up
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:15 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
First of all, a Bearing Buddy is NOT the same......an easy lube spindle is gun drilled, with the inside hole intersecting just in front of the inner bearing.....when you pump grease in, if follows the path of least resistance, then starts pushing the grease that's in the hub out toward the outer bearing.....if you blow the rear seal out, they were probably bent when driven in......when grease appears coming out from around the rubber plug, it's the grease that's just been riding in the hub.....look up Easy Lube axles...
Exactly and why you pump slowly while spinning the wheel

Interesting how much stupid stuff gets posted however many folks really know something before activating their fingers
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:11 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Well neither one of you know how they are made, look it up
OK, got it, watched their video, I stand corrected.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:16 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I will usually leave the seal in place and ...

I do carry extra new seals in my tool box, just in case I need them. But at $20 each seal, I am careful to reuse the old ones. This has worked good for me over the years with many, many trailers.

They have seal sets for less than $8 a pair at Northern Tool and they are of respectable quality so no need to buy them for $40 a pair and hang onto them so long that the rubber can potentially already have aged out past its prime by the time you get to use them:
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...lacement-seals

Their Bearing Kits include all the bearings, seals and center caps to service both sides of the axle and are less than $16:
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...=P-SalesRank|1

If you need a complete axle they have about the best prices locally here and a good selection with the galvanized axles on sale right now starting at about $55 for the 2,000 lb axles going up to about $140 for a 3,500 lb axle:
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to..._P-SalesRank|1
Old 08-27-2019, 08:29 PM   #48

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski37 View Post
On mine you have to remove tire/wheel to get access. The hubcap covering the access pops out once wheel is pulled off. Regards Ron

I was mistaken I have a 2019 KZ Durango Gold 380FLF and upon closer inspection the center of hub cap pops out. It might be challenging to get to the rubber seal and remove from 3”-5” away. Mine is a year old and bearings have been hand packed 3 times (unrelated brake problems) so I’m safe for another year or so. Just wanted to correct my previous statement.
Regards Ron
baranski37 is offline   Reply With Quote